Home Forums General General 6mm Skirmish Basing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Participant

For those gamers who do 6mm skirmish, how do you base your figures?  What size bases? How many figures per base?  And how many figures and/or bases in typical games.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Well my 6mm skirmishing was meant to be a stop gap until I went for 15mm or 10mm but I’m still too busy playing No End in Sight with 6mm and other projects to have done anything about it yet. So my basing is on plastic card, 1cm square with 1 figure per base and between 15 to 30 something figures in a game. It works for me but I would do a bit more to the bases if/when I do it again as they were only meant to be for a couple of solo games over a year ago!

No End In Sight S Armagh game

Angel Barracks

Individually based on tiddly winks:

AAR

PICS

On average 4 squads of 5 men per side with a few vehicles in support.

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Most of my infantry are singly based on 12mm tiddlywinks from EM4, but lately I’ve started using 10mm MDF squares from East Riding Miniatures for my “larger” games (30-50 infantry per side), and 15mm MDF circles for smaller skirmishs (maybe 5 to ten per side). For larger games I’m using KR16 and At Close Quarters, for smaller Five Core and Flying Lead. I’m preferring the chunkier MDF basing at the moment, but I’m fickle.

William Jones
    Participant

I’m preferring the chunkier MDF basing at the moment, but I’m fickle.

Is it because they are easier to pick up or some other reason?

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I base 2 minis or a HMG team etc. to a 20mm round base and 3 minis or a AT gun etc. to a 25mm round base, a typical Russian platoon for BGK is 35 minis or 9 25mm bases and 4 20mm bases plus appropriate support weapons.

Mike

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Rules Junkie Jim
    Participant

Is it because they are easier to pick up or some other reason?

They probably are, but the mdf bases (even the 10mm squares) seem more stable, perhaps because they’re a very tiny bit heavier. Plus they fit in smaller gaps, which is handy when placing figures on fortifications & buildings, plus aesthetically it seems nicer to have everything based on the same stuff, including vehicles and buildings. But, like I say, I could change my mind.

Thuseld
    Participant

I use 10mm MDF circles, with one figure per base. Officers and NCOs are based on UK pennies so they are larger and stand out. I am not sure how pleased I am with the bases though and have some experimenting to do.

I have yet to play with them, but I plan on using about 10-15 per side with a vehicle or two.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.