Home Forums WWII 6mm Eastern Front for BGK

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Mike Harrop
    Participant

I thought I’d post theses here as well, sorry for the poor photos

I’ve been downsizing all of my gaming stuff to 6mm, here in no particular order are my mid war Russians
    2 122mm Howitzer with additional loader teams

2 Zis3, 45mm L66 anti-tank gun and 76.2mm anti-infantry gun

Infantry platoon 1 and 2

Platoon transports, 4 Gaz AA and Gaz 67b

Close up of a squad

Platoon support elements, maxims and 50mm mortars

Tows for platoon support

3 120mm mortars with additional loader teams

2 37mm AA guns with additional loader teams

Anti aircraft/mortar pits empty and with guns in situ

Horse drawn supply wagons

Motorcycle dispatch rider, medic, sniper with spotter, wire team and comes relay team

85mm L53 AA gun directed for AT fire

Guards Mortar battery

Various officers including NKVD, signals units and VVS air control

T-70 platoons

Close up

T-34 company

Close up and decal detail

SU-122 and SU-85 platoons

Close up and decal details

BA-10 armoured cars

Air support, 2 Yak-9 and Il-2 Sturmovik

comments and criticism welcomed

Mike

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mike Harrop.

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Angel Barracks

Woah, that is a very impressive first topic!
    What an introduction…

The little touches and the basing are just excellent!

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Thanks AB, I’ve been lurking here for a while, checking out how friendly this place is.

I’ll be posting here a lot more in future, as The Wargames Website seems a great place to be

mike

"This lighthouse is under attack, and by morning we may all be dead!" The 4th Doctor - Horror of Fang Rock

Nick the Lemming
    Participant

Nice, who’s the manufacturer?

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Nice, who’s the manufacturer?

They’re all GHQ and C-in-C to try to stick to 1:285 scale, some bits that aren’t avalable form either manufacturer are from Heroics and Ros 1:300 range including officers and kneeling gun crew.

Mike

Norm S
    Participant

That’s a nice army. What size table does going to 6mm allow you to use for BGK?

Mike Harrop
    Participant

That’s a nice army. What size table does going to 6mm allow you to use for BGK?

I’ve dropped all ranges from inches to cm and bought a 4’x6.5′ battle-mat from MatOWar, I cut the big mat into a 4×4 for bigger games and a 3’x2.5′ mat for smaller games that fits onto my coffee table , this left me with a 12″x42″ piece for taking photos of minis on. I guess I’ll mostly be playing on the 3’x2.5′

Mike

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Mike Harrop.

Mike
    Keymaster

I generally find 3′ x 3′ is big enough for most 6mm evening games.
    By evening I meant 2 or 3 hours of play.

I used to play 6mm on 4′ x 6′.
    Those were big old games mind that lasted a weekend…

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Here’s a (fuzzy) pic of the first terrain layout for “clash of reconnaissance” on the small mat

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Today’s additions, since I have a river on my terrain workbench I thought I’d paint up a few bits for the Soviet Riverine Flotilla
    A pair of Bronekater BK 1125 from Heroics and Ros

These will be followed by a platoon of Black Sea Sailors made with modified H&R WW1 and WW2 Russian infantry

Mike

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wowzer, those are very nice. Love the boats !!!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Fantastic stuff, very nicely done 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Today I’ve not got a lot done due to other responsibilities, but I did manage to get a couple more ships done that I’d started yesterday.
    Firstly a couple of MTB, a G-5 & a D-3

Next a BMO Guard Ship that needed a crew, the crew are Heroics and Ros Russian officers and artillery crew with paint conversions to Russian Sailors.

Mike

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wonderful work !!!

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Thanks, I’m not sure what to paint next, I’ve got a few bits on the workbench so it’ll either be a platoon of Black Sea fleet sailors or a platoon of NKVD blocking troops for Battlegroup Barbarossa.

From there it’ll be on to a LOT of T-34/76 and a few SU-76

Mike

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

For Barbarossa, don’t forget a small horde of T26 and BT7’s 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Sparker
    Participant

Lovely, lovely work Mike, well done! Do you use the same ground and range scale in BGK for your 6millers?

I’ve always found it odd they keep the same scale for 15mm and 20mm figures, but the effect must be splendid in micro scale!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Lovely, lovely work Mike, well done! Do you use the same ground and range scale in BGK for your 6millers?

I’ve reduced everything to cm, effectively doubling the ranges and ground scale by reducing the mini size by a ratio of 1:4 but the ground scale and range by 1:2

So even though the minis are a 3/4 the size of 1:72 the ranges have only been reduced by around 2/5 This way everything seems vast but can still be played on a small-medium table

Hope this makes sense

Mike

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

Whenever I see pictures like these I feel like just throwing my badly painted collection in the bin and giving up. Mike, your stuff is absolutely fantastic, well done!

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I’ve managed to get a bit more finished, well, almost finished, they still need decals.
    Sorry for the fuzz photos, I will master macro setting soon
    First up, a platoon of KV-1 plus 2 additional tanks

A platoon of SU-76

Another T-34 Company, I did debate sticking some tank riders on these, but the thought of transplanting them from the tiny H&R T-34s gave me nightmares. Maybe next Company will get riders, though these guys did get some turret hatches opened up

A second forward HQ in T-34 for big, big games and a third for big, big, big games like the Prokhorovka Mega Game from the BGK book

As usual C and C welcome

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I’ve been quiet for a few days due to an extreme lack of super glue, I’m not trekking all of the way to Manchester for some so I’ll sit here, twiddle my thumbs and wait for my package from eBay to arrive, from then it’ll be tanks, tanks, tanks, a horde of RKKA and NKVD infantry and maybe a biplane or two.

Mike

Mike
    Keymaster

You don’t have a stockpile of supermarket own brand?

for shame!

😀

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Wow! Mike H, your soviet kit looks great! Lovely naval stuff too. Well done, sir! Most impressive.

Cheers and good gaming!

Rod Robertson.

Mike Harrop
    Participant

You don’t have a stockpile of supermarket own brand? for shame! 😀

I thought that I had one of those pound shop sheets with loads of little tubes on, but alas, no. They’re lost somewhere in the games room.

Wow! Mike H, your soviet kit looks great! Lovely naval stuff too. Well done, sir! Most impressive. Cheers and good gaming!

Thanks Rod, I’ve learnt a lot about painting since the scale shift to 6mm, had to re-learn techniques to deal with a whole different animal, I finally happy with them

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Yay my superglue is here so I’ve been able to get on with this project. I’m taking part in a themed build on another forum, the theme is Ambulance, I thought I’d show my progress in this thread too as it may be of interest to some.

I’ve decided upon a Gaz-55 ambulance bus for my entry, but in 6mm this proves a problem as no such model exists (to my knowledge)

I’ve begun scratch building a bus body on the chassis of a Gaz-AA from GHQ using sheet styrene, steel wire and putty

Once the putty is dry I’ll file and shape the roof and add vents on the top, then it’s off to the painting table

I may also build a 6mm BA-22 armoured ambulance for my early Russians, I’m not sure if any of the few built ever saw service but it seems like an interesting bit of kit

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I’m back to my 6mm WW2, I’m starting out slow on a few small bits while I get my eye in.
    Firstly a squad of Red Army cavalry both mounted and dismounted

A horse dispatch rider

NKVD Blocking troops

A few extra sniper and spotter stands (you can never have enough snipers)

And finally a DShK machine gun for both infantry and in AA role.

Mike Harrop
    Participant

My Gaz-55 Ambulance Bus conversion for a build on another forum is now complete so I can show it here now, I’ve added a couple of medics from Heroics and Ros’ WW1 and WW2 ranges

Mike

Mike
    Keymaster

I am trying to figure what you did, was it a flat bed or something before and you have added the whole back bit?

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Yes, it was a flatbed which was removed and the whole back was added to make it into a bus.
    It’s further up this thread as a WIP
    Mike

Mike
    Keymaster

oh yeah, I missed that, very cool.

yorkie
    Participant

Wow, great work!  Love the basing and the figures are really great.

http://stevenkelly1.blogspot.com/

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Thanks all, @editorMike – it can only be a good thing that it doesn’t look like a conversion 🙂

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I’ve managed to get a few more bits done on my Ruskies
    Firstly my NKVD officer writing orders at his field desk (Irregular and C in C)

A platoon of NKVD border guards supported by a Maxim and Mortar (H & R WW1 and WW2 Russians)

A KV-2 and lend-lease White Scout Car (C in C)

2 Gaz-67 jeep for my NKVD blocking troops and 3 BA-10 armoured cars (GHQ and C in C)

2 tows for Zis-2 guns (GHQ and C in C)

Transports to motorise another rifle platoon and their Infantry gun (a mix of GHQ and C in C with troops transplanted from H & R trucks)

A platoon of T-60s (C in C)

And finally a few Don Cossacks (Irregular)

As usual C & C welcomed

Mike

Mike
    Keymaster

Do like, there is something about them that just feels right.

Thuseld
    Participant

I have just seen this. It is making me want to scrap my 20mm forces that I will never have space to play the BG series with and invest in some 6mm WW2.

Mike Harrop
    Participant

I have just seen this. It is making me want to scrap my 20mm forces that I will never have space to play the BG series with and invest in some 6mm WW2.

Thats exactly what I did, I only use my 20mm for Normandy Firefight now

Mike

Mike Harrop
    Participant

Hello again. I’m back to painting and modelling the Eastern Front in 6mm again after a 6 month break. I’m starting with rebasing all of my previous efforts onto laser cut wooden bases, they work out cheaper than hand cut styrene and have no variation, I’ll update with pics soon. Popping all those tanks off of bases is a daunting task.

Meanwhile I’ve put in a nice big order at Heroics and Ros and Scotia (GHQ are out of my price range now 🙁 ) to cover mid to late war Germans and Soviets so expect updates thick and fast through August and September

Mike

kavita1
    Participant

Wow – look forward to seeing more – I do 6mm eastern front ww2 as well and your posts have been really inspiring to see. My own stuff cannot compare – but it gives me something to aim towards 🙂

Mike Harrop
    Participant

look forward to seeing more  

There will be plenty more soon, but so far just rebasing.

Fuzzy phone pic of German Armour rebased, they look almost the same as they did, but took a lot less time to base up without all of the cutting. I’ve expanded the size of my command stands from 30mm X 30mm up to 40mm X 40mm

I’ll be getting on with some early bits too, a T-26b company and a company each of BT-5 and BT-7 along with early war command in T-26 and on Horses.

kavita1
    Participant

Oh eee – I love the early war – Barbarossa – stuff especially – even the slightly off the wall material that never really saw action (because it was completely impractical like military planning based on some retro-scifi event…). After all you have to have a couple of T35s and KV2s for ‘what if’ scenarios…. I have carefully built up both German and Russian forces so that I can play early as much as mid or late war scenarios. In effect its three completely seperate fronts/settings in many given the transformations that occured on both sides.

I’ve ordered a BKC ruleset to test it out – I’ve been using Battlefront WW2 (the fire and fury set) which has the same flexible approach to basing and is easy to use with similar numbers of vehicles. To be honest I have been completely happy with BFWW2 – but the other 6mm guy I just got to know locally also mentioned BKC as his go to set.

Look forward to seeing the new work – hopefully I’ll build up the confidence to put up a few of mine – just so people can compare begineers to the pros. like 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.