Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi 94 Burgess III – Wacky One-Off Terrain Project

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

Wellp.  Nothing soothes the pain of a really rough week like a weekend of art and games projects.  Well, for me, anyway.  So, having scrounged some spare materials and made a few decisions about appearance and such – and having also plumbed the depths of many previous projects of similar proportions for experience and ideas – I’ve begun work on a one-off terrain project for games on a planet… somewhere… way the hell out there.

First up: some landforms:

Cut with a combination of hot wire and razor.  I opted against modular hex-based landforms as I’ve tried in the past, as setup and piecing together of proper sets always became a pain in the butt.  My experience with multi-hex hills in Hexon is uniformly good so I’m opting for the same thing here.  The dominant land type on the planet is a kind of littoral slump, where soft, muddy ground falls away from harder, rocky formations.  Thus there are a lot of mesas and cliffs, and other such high formations to impede movement – not to speak of colonization.

I’m also experimenting with some wacky colors:

Pink insulating foam seems to stand up well to spraypainting, and I happen to have some weird colors available – reds and purples.  So, we’ll see.  With some basic ground established, I’ll move on to the Fungal Forests.

Alvin Molethrottler
    Participant

I like this a lot, well done Mr Average. Looking forward to seeing the fungal forests.

Angel Barracks

Nice, I really need some hills/rocky outcrops in my games.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Just a few things I worked up on the side this weekend, in the few minutes between this and that.

First: some some Fungoid Creche, the dominant “flora” on Burgess.  There are photosynthetic plants here, but they are not as common and are all very small.  Most of what corresponds to plantlife on Burgess is fungus, and some of the larger species of parasitic mega-fungi can exist in colony structures several scores of feet high.

These fungoid creches grow into dense, nutrient and mineral-rich structures that are the main source of wealth for the planet’s sparse colonies.

I’m also playing around with crystal fields, which would be another potential source of wealth on the planet, albeit a rarer one.  The material is chopped-up golf pencils.

Stroezie
    Participant

Oooh!
    Those fungi look nice, is it foam you distressed somehow or are they pieces from a natural sponge.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Mr. Average
    Participant

It’s natural sponge, trimmed along the grain and then sprayed with purple paint and the ends highlighted. I thought it was rather effective.

Angel Barracks

Oooh!
    Those fungi look nice, is it foam you distressed somehow or are they pieces from a natural sponge.

Yes, very cool looking and rather practical too methinks!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah, it worked better than I’d imagined it might. The spray made the ends of the sponge get a bit shriveled in a very “fungussy” way, but left the center the natural yellow color. The effect was pretty striking. The issue now is clustering them in a way that is a good combination of visually interesting and playable. Probably smaller chunks will go on the base with some smaller bits of foliage, while a larger “fungal riparius” will be on a removable base to go in the center, so it can be pulled when units enter the area.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.