Home Forums Air and Sea Naval A.A.R. and story by Rory

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi All,

Been very tried after my 2nd chemo cycle. So this is a little late.

Being ill does have it’s up-sides. My old tried, well used and loved copy of G.W. Trafalgar was given it  to a good friend to make a new cover for it.

She then heard I was ill and done the job (and more) for a Christmas prezzie!

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

As you all know I’m not the best at this stuff, Sorry!

So I got a boxed and leather bound copy of G.W. Trafalgar. I think it is the best copy of the rules in the world!

Pete got a new copy of the rules from a friend for about £10 and waved it under my nose. So I’m waved mine under his. Pete said “it would not make me play any better”. So hats off, hands in ship boxes and table made!!!!!!!

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

First, We forgot to take photo’s of the first move!!!!!!

Pete loves the Brits! So mostly I play French. We used a 1000 pts, Pete had 1 x 1st rate, 1 x 2nd rate, 1 x 3rd rate and a little 5th rate. I thought no! I will play Russian. 1 x 1st rate and 3 x 3rd rates.

We played on a 4ft x 4ft table with two islands. The wind coming from the right of the photo’s (the wall).

The Brits sailing down wind passed the islands as I played across the table to pass between the islands.

The Brits turned into the gap to pass the Russians. The 3rd was the frist Brit ship.

But! I turned away to sail down wind passed the islands.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

The photo above was so played with. As I forgot how to re-size the photo. Sorry Vol. The next ones are better.

As the Russians turned back the British turned too. So both fleets are sailing with the islands between. Only the British 3rd rate went into the gap. As each of the Russian 3rd rates passed by they bow shoot the British ship ( to far to rake). The damage was very heavy on the Brit.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

The last Russian 3rd rate closed with the damaged British 3rd rate by the island. as the rest of the Russian fleet take on the British Smaller fleet. Both open fire.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

The unwell British 3rd rate is boarded by the last Russian. After a number of turns (The Brits did put up a fight!) the Russians have a new ship to add to their fleet. Please note corner of my new rule book!!

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Oh boy! The Brits are in trouble! The 2nd rate is hit time and time again. On fire, badly damaged and rudder damage. She can only sail away straight  The 5th rate bottles out and runs. The poor 1st rate in hit again and again by the Russian.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Not a nice photo for the Brits. For the Russians had a good day. The Brits acted wrong from the start. Smaller ship at the front of the fleet. Spiting the fleet. And not thinking that the best rule book won!

Gee, that looks like a great game. Thank you for the lucid & entertaining report.

I am, frankly, envious.

Hope all is well, donald

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Guess he was wrong about your book!  Good stuff sir.  Keep up the fight!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Participant

Now that is the scale of naval that I like, good looking ships on a 4′ x 4′.

The rigging looks like something that takes some practice to get right.

Lovely models and a good game by the looks of it. Nice work all round. Wishing you all the best for your recovery, and suggesting that you let your mate win the odd one just to keep him interested 😉

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Thanks for your nice words. Glad you liked the game. We did. I will not let Pete win. My dice rolling will do that for him!!!!!

Pete is a good friend, win or lose we always have a good time. It’s the game, the models and a friend opposite you that make a great afternoon/evening. I know how lucky I am to have Pete as a friend.

Be safe

Rory

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

That was a great report, and glad to see you up and around again.  Admiral Pete certainly will be given a mention in the history books, as the British commander who lost a fight (and ship!) to the Russians.  DEFINITELY a courts-martial when he gets home….

That rulebook cover and slipcase are absolutely fantastic.  For the next game with him, maybe you should parade it around the table like an icon, just to show him that the best looking rulebook does win….

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Norm Smith, Go to Vols Blog page. We, Vol and I (Vol put my work on his blog for me) will show you how to rig! If this does not help ask us on this site.

I think Pete hates the Black & White ships. But he will get his own back. The funny thing is, he cannot find his copy of the rules. Luck for me he lost it before playing the above game.

Be safe

Rory

The Russians won? The Russians!? Like BW suggests, I’m going to have my copy of Impetus leather bound and process around the table holding it on high like an icon and see if it brings me victory.

Sounds like you and Pete had a great game!

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Volunteer
    Participant

Super AAR Rory. I’m proud of your budding tech skills, remembering how to shink the photos 😃
    As Ochoin says, I am envious. You have a great friend in Pete who loves to game as much as you do.
    All the best to you,
    Vol

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.