Home Forums General Conventions and Shows A bit of a trip to Partizan

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Decided to run off to Newark today and visit Partizan after chickening out of Hammerhead 🙂

It’s around 95 miles or so round trip but looking at my planned buying for this year and postage costs it worked out about even (car reported 62mpg) and it was a chance to catch up with my daughter.

Given that it’s been years (excluding the lockdown pause) I did not sleep well but the trip was uneventful and lack of show ground signage on the main road was not an issue for me though the big yellow sign at the gate was handy – one for the show organisers rather than the show ground!

Parking was its normal free-for-all but the grassed area was dry and no sliding around like York and despite arriving close to opening I was blown away by the number of cars and the queue that had already formed.

Entry – quick and smooth and it was a neat idea to sell a bag at the door and I managed to get the free figure of Stephen of Blois (?) who may go into the pile for use as a Crusader figure despite being a bit on the small size (maybe I’m just used to GW figures).

My first impression was noise, heat and crowds – OK I know I’m not mentally settled but the space between tables was ONLY just large enough for the few wheelchairs and I could not get to a couple of stalls originally for the canteen queue. Fortunately I only got ‘backpacked’ once but could not cope with the noise / crowds even with a couple of breaks away in the three hours of my visit.

Masks could be counted on the fingers of both hands – the lack of drafts and forced ventilation may be an issue in the coming week or so. The few open doors and couple of fans really did nothing to help the middle of the room.

All I will say over the canteen facilities is that it looked like the normal junk but I do recommend the ice cream stand outside (esp the strawberry) – Alice paying was a really nice surprise 🙂

Trading was hectic at all stands and the increase in card machines a great improvement from the postal orders I started with. I do wonder if the ease of payment helps re-enforce the ‘butterfly habit’ a lot of gamers have? I was shocked by the odd stand (who will remain nameless) who still wrote every sales item down by longhand!

Games wise, a lot looked super and it’s great to see a move away from the MDF box look from my last few shows and I was really happy in that I found:

a) One gent who had a big Napoleonic map and Irregular Minis blocks. I did not catch his name (and the plan does not make sense now I’m back) and I’m unsure who was more surprised out of the two us that someone else had similar games taste. It was interesting to see the metal blocks – a bit random in size but nice and heavy while being significantly smaller than the resin ones I’m using.

b) A 10mm (?) set of Peter Dennis paper figures (with a rouge WoFun stand in the corner). Unfortunately they where so busy talking to other that I did not manage to talk to them at all despite going back three times! The paper figures looked a little fragile / bendy but impressive esp as the bases match the mat and I really wanted to find out how that was done (possible a photo of the mat).

c) The Gothenburg Gamers had a clever pre-bronze age game (and free rules to take) where you have to hunt / forage and survive. Interestingly the bigger figures (mammoths etc) where 3D printed by Irongate Scenery who would be happy to scale their figures to 15mm if possible. Given that I sold my 28s as I could not get nice animals, I’m unsure if to approach them next year for 15s or get a few 28s!  Oh the problem of scale and butterfly habits…

Trader wise I was surprised by the large number of Fantasy / SciFi suppliers compared to the old Kellham Hall crowd but a fair number of ‘old guard’ where in attendance and a good selection of new faces for me to drool over (that reads sooo wrong).

Did I overspend? Yup but I got most of my shopping list and picked up:

1) New reading matter (Tribal / Primeval / Broken Legions) and  a copy of ‘Going for Bronze’ from the game.

2) Some ABC brushes – I went for the old ‘Citadel’ range pack and a big size 8 general brush but I’ll look to try the others as I need them.

3) Some sample hex boards from Kallistra – I’ve looked at these for years but decided to get four tiles and some blanks to have a play with.

4) AK sand and mud pots and some flower like tufts

5) Overspent on 28mm Nightfolk and scenery

6) The final RUB trays from Warbases but not the base size I wanted

One thing I could not find was a supplier of knife / saw blades – lots of folk selling sets (majority being Army Painter) but not just the blades. They are going to have to come by post 🙁

In the whole – way too busy for me but I’m set up for months and months now so I have to class it a win!

willz
    Participant

Glad you had a good out Andrew, would have liked to attend but it was to long of a drive from Devon.

Norm S
    Participant

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and the thought the wide variety of tables and their standards was excellent.

It was busy, but much easier than York to navigate around and I seldom found myself queuing behind more than one person. Many traders were smiling, so I hope that is a good sign.

I have put a small write-up with a few pics over on the blog. LINK

The brochure talked about hopes of getting back to normal and I felt the show (superb) pretty much did all of that and more.

There is a small write-up on the blog and a few pics
    LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/05/partizan-wargame-show-2022.html

REMEMBER TO RETURN HERE AFTER READING THE BLOG POST 🙂

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Thanks for the show report Norm and to Andrew as well. I thought it would be popular and by the sounds of it it was! It’s location helps given it is pretty easy to get to from some of the major conurbations.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Glad you had a good out Andrew, would have liked to attend but it was to long of a drive from Devon.

I’ve done Bristol and back in a day and know that once you are off the motorway your guess is as good as mine how busy / hard the roads will be so I can understand you not coming up 🙂 Saying that – they are resurfacing the A15 for some reason (obviously its going to snow soon and we need the extra grip) so that added a good 15 mins each way.

…I thought it would be popular and by the sounds of it it was! …

My daughter went to Hammerhead earlier this year and it was nowhere near as crowded as this she said – not sure if it was the attitude to COVID, the time of year or the periods covered that made the difference. It reminded me of the crush at Kellham by the bar TBH (but LOTS lighter).

..Many traders were smiling, so I hope that is a good sign…

I think so (but did not think to ask a couple of the traders I know) – quite a few stands had empty shelves or big gaps as I was leaving and lots of folk had bulging bags in the car park. A few cars where coming in but no queues at that point.

Tony S
    Participant

Despite an ocean in the way, thanks for the reports gentlemen.  Interesting!

Although my goodness – what type of car do you drive Andrew?   I own a hybrid but only get 5L/100km which Google tells me is 56 mpg (Imperial).

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Despite an ocean in the way, thanks for the reports gentlemen. Interesting! Although my goodness – what type of car do you drive Andrew? I own a hybrid but only get 5L/100km which Google tells me is 56 mpg (Imperial).

It’s a bit of an oddball – a Renault Megane with a diesel eco engine (better than the old Eco-5 standard AND no ‘AdBlue’ to keep emissions down) with about 190K miles on the clock (3rd cam-belt). Sits very happily in 6th at anything above 50 and cruises with very low revs. I’ve driven it for most of those miles and take it easy all the time with the accelerator  and check the results by filling up to the top and measuring the use at next fill (the MPG reported by the car electronics is actually a little under physical but not enough to bother with over a few hundred miles or so).

It was designed for motorway cruising (inc enough pull in 6th for overtaking at 60-65 with no worry) as a ‘small business car’ and is regularly serviced / new tyres & pressure changed for local vs motorway running. Tyres are currently winter ones so run soft – its not worth changing them now as we do less milage but I normally ran summer / winter sets and found the summer ones added maybe 5-10 MPG on a motorway run. It does not have stop/start functionality and I normally forget at lights unless the local trains are running late.

I’ve just had 53 MPG out of the small petrol Hyundai i10 but I’m a bit heavy on the gears with that (its only got 5 + reverse) as its a bit underpowered at around 90bhp with 2 or 3 adults.

Best I have had (measured by fuel again) was the Citroën Picasso – I topped 70MPG on a nice steady run from Manchester to Scotland once – blew the regional manager mind when I did not stop for fuel there and back 🙂

Toyota rep got really miffed when I took a couple of hybrids out for a test run and complained the Renault was better. He had to ‘prove’ it by reving the engine hard and coasting but only matched me over a 2 mile run.

I ought to take an advanced driving course one day (well before I give up) as they can teach you more fuel saving methods and the way fuel is going up (5p more a litre today than Wednesday locally) it could pay for itself in a few months and TBH my parallel parking is very poor (blush).

willz
    Participant

Thanks for your report also Norm.

Andrew the journey from Plymouth to Newark would have been 5 hours minimum one way and I just did not fancy 10 -12 round trip in a day and the price of petrol or a hotel makes it uneconomical.  Plus I am on a wargame road trip in June to Kenilworth for the weekend😁, so I needed to save my pennies.

Sir Able
    Participant

I also got there and have shared the things that caught my eye here:

https://sirablebrush.blogspot.com/2022/05/partizan-wargames-show-may-2022.html

In short – lots of lovely musket era games and some paints and bits bought (and Perry platcis Napoleonic Cavalry)

Norm S
    Participant

I also got there and have shared the things that caught my eye here: https://sirablebrush.blogspot.com/2022/05/partizan-wargames-show-may-2022.html In short – lots of lovely musket era games and some paints and bits bought (and Perry platcis Napoleonic Cavalry)

excellent post (thanks for the shout) that opening shot of the ship has been beautifully executed, also thanks for all the trader links, that must have taken ages.

norm.

MartinR
    Participant

It was pretty busy this time, much busier than in October. I think the organisers said they’d had over 1100 people through the door.

I was over on the Wargames Developments table (just behind the paper figures game) and few people came to say hello. Sounds like lots of us were there.

It is only an hours drive for me and I’ve always enjoyed Partsan, one of my favourite shows. It is just really nice to be able to pick stuff up and look at rather peer at a computer screen.

Picked up a few items, including a 15mm Traction Engine (I’m sure that will be useful for something) but I was mainly chatting to people.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Sir Able
    Participant
    Andrew Beasley
    Participant

A couple of videos have come out:

The Terrain Tutor:

https://youtu.be/qHitwGWuemc

Storm of Steel:

https://youtu.be/0y9SH0KvJw4

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.