Home Forums General General A Blast from the Past

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

To Any and All:

No doubt many of you have already seen this before, but I just stumbled upon it myself and was tickled to watch it. For those who have never seen it or those who wish to see it again, here is a blast from the past – the same year I started my nascent wargaming obsession:

or from the previous year:

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

2.49 on the first video – brilliant “oh no you do not !”

kyoteblue
    Participant

Elvira was painting miniatures in 1966 !!!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

Speaking of Elvira …

Jackson:

An interesting video. Thanks.

Here’s another couple of vintage miniatures films:

and:

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

And here’s a more modern one:

Mocking in tone, unlike the more or less respectful ones from the past.

donald

David Farrier pretty much mocked everyone in any article he did – this was not about wargaming, but more him getting cheap laughs at others expense. (The segments he created were always part of a comedy type 5 minutes as part of a late night NZ TV show.)

Watching those old clips have me surprised at how fast they can get those figures cast. My PrinceAugust castings take me ages !

David Farrier pretty much mocked everyone in any article he did – this was not about wargaming, but more him getting cheap laughs at others expense. (The segments he created were always part of a comedy type 5 minutes as part of a late night NZ TV show.)

This doesn’t absolve the cretin. He really just takes aim at sitting ducks in this segment. “Never talk to the media” is good advice for pretty well everyone.

In general, TV & movies, when they deign to take notice of wargaming, show it in a negative light.

There’s the Momma’s Boy in ‘Ground Hog Day’ . Clearly a geek & a loser. In a Columbo tele-movie, the nasty villain wargamed.  It was part of his anti-social tendencies.  Indeed, except for the Callan shows, I’m hard pressed to name any positive media view of wargaming.

That’s our cross, I guess.

donald

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Deleted User.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Deleted User.
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Depends whether you think Jason King,  playboy Lothario, writer, part time spy in Department S using a wargame to entertain a lady during a prolonged weekend amour is positive or not. The episode used to be on You Tube but seems to have been removed – no doubt a media conspiracy against wargamers (or possibly a copyright issue).

The Peter Cushing wargaming Pathe Newsreel seemed positive but is from a different era when the default position of everyone wasn’t extracting the urine from anything that didn’t involve football or violence as a male pastime.

The Daily/Sunday(?) Telegraph piece in the 70s on the Sandhurst, Paddy Griffith Umpired wargame of Op Sealion using various contemporaneous ‘celebrity’ Generals and senior Air Staff (Galland for one) was certainly positive.

More recently one has to have a ‘wry’ or postmodern take on anything to get it into the press for some reason – but you can do it – I’ve been party to several mostly positive press write ups of wargames. And frankly I’d put up with a ‘what a geek’ approach if the general message went out that it was fun and vaguely educational.

My favourite media portrayal is not of wargaming per se but military figure collecting/painting by Max von Sydow as the professional hit man in the film Three Days of the Condor. If its good enough for the knight who played chess against Death, its good enough for me.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Guy Farrish.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Guy Farrish:

Jason King – Buried in the Cold Cold Ground – SE1 EP03! A classic and cringe-worthy all at once! It can still be found on YouTube but with little or no sound. The scene described occurred about 45:10 into the episode and was in two parts separated by about a minute of other goings-on. I saw this on ITV(?) in either 1971 or 1972 and then I thought it was so cool. What the hell was I thinking back then? I was a right prat back in the day.

As to wargaming and miniature painting Wesley Snipes in Murder at 1600 (Pennsylvania Avenue) was depicted as a cop who was also an AWI or Civil War miniature painter and gamer IIRC.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.