Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic A challenge

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ok, who can name the single regiment this infantry man should be from? 🙂

front

back

From blog: http://savinkoffgg.blogspot.com/2018/05/stp-miniatures-russian.html

Participant

I will name him George, and I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him…  – Abominable Snowman

(Sorry, I know zip about Nappies but am sleep deprived enough to have a desire to use that quote!)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Not allowed on that site! This is a much better place.

Participant

Don’t worry DSG, I’m sure the great majority of gamers like your answer a lot better than mine. No one wants to hear that’s not the right toy soldier to play with! 😉

Participant

Why link to that site? Most of us here are refugees from there, and don’t want to go there!

http://mainly28s.com
    wargames review site...

Participant

You are right – just laziness – I didn’t even add my usual disclaimer – ok fixed it…

Participant

Dunno what regiment, but his head’s too big for his body.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

Russian guard jager?

Participant

It’s not really a fair question. It popped into my head when I was examining the photos. But, if we are to believe LPK, (and what other choice do we have?) everyone makes the same mistake. It’s like finding an accurate Russian jaeger – there aren’t any…

Participant

Okay, according to LPK only the 1st Division were allowed chinstrap scales. That is the Leib-garde, the Leib-grenadier, and the Kexholm Infantry. Everyone sculpts scales and we just have to live with it, just like everyone puts short swords on the jaegers.

Participant

Okay, according to LPK only the 1st Division were allowed chinstrap scales. That is the Leib-garde, the Leib-grenadier, and the Kexholm Infantry. Everyone sculpts scales and we just have to live with it, just like everyone puts short swords on the jaegers.

Ha! That is some neat trivia…

Cheers,

The Bandit

5th  regiment of line, France.  There I said it.  Next question.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Inactive

If you like trivia ….

How about the Voronezh Infantry Regiment?
    — Ulyanov (Russian Infantry at War) says that the brass chinscales were “distributed centrally”, first to the Guards and then to the Army
    — the Voronezh Infantry was the only infantry regiment in the Saint Petersburg garrison, i.e. “centrally” located
    — the rather short musket seems more appropriate to an India Pattern Brown Bess (length 55-1/4 inches, from the 1807 purchase of new British muskets) than to the longer Russian M1808 muskets equipping the Kexholm Infantry

Organizationally, at the start of 1812, the Kexholm Infantry was in the 11th Infantry division of the 4th Infantry corps, and the Life Grenadier regiment was in the 1st Grenadier division of the 3rd Infantry corps. While the “active” battalions of these two regiments seemed to have formed and fought with the Guard heavy infantry (which comprised the 1st and 2nd brigades of the Guard Infantry division, in the 5th Reserve corps), I do not see how they could have been supplied with chinstraps other than through their normal divisional channels.

The Guards had their brass chinstraps before the campaign started. I would be interested to know the LPK’s basis for having them also distributed to the Life Grenadiers and Kexholm Infantry.

Amicalement,
    – Alexandre

Participant

Hi Alexandre,
    LPK’s thesis is that the prototypes of the “kiver” shako were developed after 1807 and the first were distributed to the 1st Division in late 1809/early 1810. Then a somewhat different model was given to the rest of army. The chinscales were part of the 1st Division model. IIRC there were production delays, but I would have to check to see if there is an associated date. Anyway this is all well before the divisions were reorganized.
    Jon.

Inactive

The Life-Grenadier and the Kexholm Musketeer regiments get their brass chinscales sometime after 9 September 1809 (O.S.)? I could believe it for the Life-Grenadiers. But was the supply system so strictly “divisional” in late 1809? If so, that itself is interesting.

And no other Army regiments by the start of the 1812 campaign? Well, could be.

All sorts of Army regiments had them by 1814/1815 (as depicted by Klein, et al), so there must have been some later effort at distributing them.

Participant

I don’t think the supply was “divisional” so much as it was “the guard and those brigaded with them”. The L-g. were added to the 1st Division in June 1807, so had been with the Leib-grenadier and Kexholm for a few years already.
    LPK’s big thesis is that the scuttle shaped shako of 1812 is a historical myth possibly based on some unofficial foreign manufacture in 1813-4, that seemed to have caught the fancy of a number of artists, including Klein. This caused quite a stir a few years ago, but nobody has been able to settle the issue. I believe (I haven’t read it) that they have the grenadiers (and carabiners) acquiring chinscales in 1817. They do cite War Ministry correspondence denying a request from a grenadier regimentt chief to provide his troop with chinscales at his expense. And, of course, the officers all had them.
    JG

If I can briefly interrupt?

My scant knowledge base doesn’t allow me to participate in this debate but I really like reading the posts.

That other site, alluded to, used to be good for this & it’s great to see the baton being picked up here.

Long may such threads as this flourish!

donald

Participant

I similarly like following these threads.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.