Home Forums Terrain and Scenery A Church Revisited: Gothic to Romanesque

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    McLaddie
    Participant

I received a 4Ground 15mm Church as a present a few years back, but couldn’t find a use for it.  Terrific models, but just too much for my 15 mm Napoleonics. I liked the kit, however, so I bought a laser cut partially destroyed building on Ebay, advertised as 15mm. Turned out it was a 28mm model I had no use for, [don’t know if that was a seller accident or purposeful…] so it languished.  Well, I am getting into Chain-of-Command Spanish Civil War and needed 15mm buildings, so I took a stab at converting both. Easier models to modify than I thought.  I think they turned out better than I expected.

The Church before:

And then After a Southern exposure:

I found that the jewelry-making stores that my wife frequents had some great pieces I could use, such at the cross and cap to the church tower. the wall decorations were also scrounged up there.

The large government/appartment building needed smaller doors and some scaling of the rooms, which I did with the wall trim, though the windows could just be ‘impressively’ large, as seen on many government building then and now.  This is the first ‘destroyed’ building I’d ever done. It was more work than the church.  The brick pattern to the facade looks good given a Spanish whitwash of the rest of the walls.

Mike
    Keymaster

I found that the jewelry-making stores that my wife frequents had some great pieces I could use, such at the cross and cap to the church tower. the wall decorations were also scrounged up there.

Off to Hobbycraft I go!
    Good call.

Patrice
    Participant

Very nice!

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Norm S
    Participant

Very nicely done. I like the way to have taken  the buttresses back, what a difference.

McLaddie
    Participant

Very nicely done. I like the way to have taken  the buttresses back, what a difference.

Thanks guys.  Yes, looking at on-line pictures of Spanish churches, the style was very different from Northern Europe. Buttresses were very minor compared to Gothic churches.  And then I had to move the main entrance from the side to the front of the tower where they were usually in small Spanish churches.  As I said, with the wood pieces and negative cutouts available, it was relatively easy to change.  All the tower decorations are also from jewelry stores.  I have a crucifix on the side of the church and enough ‘stuff’ left to make a monument and a religious station like those found in Spain, circa 1936.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.