Home Forums Air and Sea Naval A couple of painted trawlers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

In the Cod Wars post on my blog, several people wondered how the clear ships from Shapeways would look once they were painted up.  So, I’ve put together a quick post showing off two of the trawlers that I’ve finished.  Please drop by and check them out:

https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Brian Weathersby Brian Weathersby. Reason: spelling correction

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Thomaston
    Participant

Cool, I like the rust effect you did.

Life's too long.

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Thanks.  I took a terracotta color and an earth brown, mixed them together and then thinned it way down.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Interesting article and excellent results. Thanks.

You strongly recommend priming the Shapeways ships, and not just using any dark paint for a basecoat. What primer do you recommend? And why is priming necessary?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Brian Weathersby
    Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Normally I just use any rattlecan primer, usually in black.  What happened here is that I picked up a can of satin black by mistake.  It left the model very slick, and my normal paints just wouldn’t grip the model.  So, I decided to spray the ship with a clear flat to give my paints something to hold onto.  What happened instead was the the black paint crackled like an old piece of furniture.  I was afraid of trying to clean off the paint with something like acetone because I didn’t know what it would do to the model.

As to why I primed, well the recommendation on the Shapeways forums is that you do so.  An interesting point came from the designer of the minis; he told me on my blog that there is something in the clear plastic material that stops enamel paints from drying unless the model is “extremely clean.”  I did clean them with Simple Green and Dawn detergent as recommended,  but maybe I didn’t get it clean enough for the enamel spray paint to dry?  I don’t know enough about chemistry to say why a “primer” is better than regular paint, but it does appear to be the case on these.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.