Home Forums Modern A couple of Sabre Squadron questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

From anyone who may know…

1. How far back will the rules go?  While they seem modern to me, the Korean War, the Six Day War, and some others probably just seem paleolithic to many, and the tech is certainly much more akin to WWII than anything else.  I actually prefer the stuff from the ’50s and ’60s, but can certainly see why it might be left out.
    2. Will the rules encompass asymmetrical insurgent warfare such as mujahadin, Viet Minh, spec ops and so on, or is irregular warfare a distraction from the main thrust of the rules?

I really like what I see, and will be doing Sabre Squadron something as the first big project in 2017.  Also, looking over the catalog lists for Scotia Grendel and Heroics and Ros, I see that they are treasure troves for modelers.

Participant

Hi there,

1. It’s taken from 1950, the start of the first shooting war of the of the Cold War. The rules allow for Bolt Action Rifles and the datasheets have Shermans, T34s and Stug 3s amongst other old kit, some of which has amazing longevity. I have been asked about a WW2 version several times but that’s at least a couple of years off.
    2. Low level COIN looking for arms caches while avoiding IEDs is outside the scope of the rules. Taking on VC Mainforce, holding off the Vietminh at Dien Bien Phu or flying Blackhawks into Mogadishu are all viable. There are allowances for appalling training and morale for warlord and militia-type forces and an ‘Irregular’ category that I intend to develop further with campaign ideas. Oh for more time!

Participant

I am with you about needing more time!

Your answers make all the stretch I needed.  Early wars, check, and with an ability to engage massed guerrilla types, check.

I would not want to detract from the focus you have on the rules.   The COIN operations like those you mention make great games, but are more properly skirmish games, and exercises in patience and detail.   Their inclusion in your game would simply slow down the tempo and trivialize the decisiveness in your game, in all likelihood.  Sometimes less really is more, and the focus on a clear tactical decision is what comes across while reading them.

Campaign rules will be very welcome.

Thanks for your answers.  Looking forward to this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.