Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General A few words on Squad Hammer

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

This was supposed to be out already, but since I got sick over the new years and have had to take it chill for a few days, stuff got delayed.

Anyways, the goal for Squad Hammer, as some of you know is to do a pretty substantial update to incorporate some of the tons of great ideas, suggestions and feedback that have been provided here and in my inbox.

To achieve this, I am going to split up the system a bit:

There will be a Core system, which will be pretty minimalist (roll, give orders, shoot, recover, that’s about it).
    Basically a booklet that will offer the most stripped-down core of what Squad Hammer is, but sufficient to play games with.

Then there will be a full version which will be positioned more as a tool-kit to help build your own game, though it’ll still feature plenty of help to be playable “out of the box”.

In particular, this should feature a lot more pre-made units.

I have some additional thoughts for it, but I am not ready to share those just yet since they may change or turn out to be stupid ๐Ÿ™‚

As I said above, I was hoping the Core would already be ready, but that turned out not to be the case due to me getting sick and losing some days of work-time, so stay tuned for that.

I hope that sounds exciting!

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Looking forward to it. Squad Hammer is currently at the top of my “Throwdown” games list. I’ve taught probably 10 different people how to play SH in the last month or so. Easy and fun.

www.RetroBoom.com
    Stafford, Va. Let's play!

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I have been buying 6mm scifi and statting it up for Squad Hammer for a while now. Looking forward to a new edition!

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Good to hear it gang.

The hope is that this will both help the “lets just throw down with some mini’s” and the “I want to build my own game” folks.

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

This should be out shortly, but a brief overview:

“Core” will address the basics of game play (orders, moving, shooting, close combat and other actions).

There are 5 orders now (we added one to cover “extra actions”. It’ll be used for mounting and dismounting transports as well).

Damage recovery is now automatic (2 points for regroup orders) instead of rolling.

The Withdraw order is now Defend. It lets you move away, imposes a -1 hit penalty to attackers until you move or receive orders again and “heals” 1 damage.

Assaults are now an opposed roll.

With examples and everything, it’ll probably sit at 20 pages, but you could throw out all the fluff and the rules would fit on a single page easy.
    That sounds a bit wasteful but the goal is that you will understand everything from reading it, then be able to play from memory.
    We should have a ref sheet ready to go when it launches, if all goes well.

Binary damage, damage scaling and more is NOT in Core, since it’s aimed at being the simplest possible game, to act as a starting point.
    As such, if you don’t see something in Core, don’t fuss, it’ll be there in the full burrito.

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

OKay, so if you guys behave, Core should be here tomorrow and its looking dang good, if I say so myself!

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.