Home Forums Ancients A light and a heavy one ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paskal
    Spectator

Hello everyone

At one time – for example at the time of the Punic Wars – legionaries carried 2 types of pilums, a light one and a heavy one, which were very different.

And at the time of Julius Caesar? The legionaries wore 2 types of pilums, a light and a heavy one?

Howard Whitehouse
    Participant

That’s supposed to be true, but the practicalities of carrying pila into battle need to be taken into account. The Roman shield grip was horizontal, like a door handle, making it almost impossible to carry a spare pilum (or anything long) in the left hand. Both pila, then, would have to be carried in the right hand, putting one down to throw the other – awkward when advancing. Some have suggested that, in action, only one would be used.

I do all my own stunts.

Paskal
    Spectator

The horizontal handle of the Roman scutum, it is true that it had to be the galley to handle …

But according to Peter Connolly, in his books, it seems that there was a way to hold the heavy pilum in the left hand with the scutum while we were throwing the light pilum.

So they actually had two pila ?

But by the way, at the time of Julius Caesar, the scutum handles were always horizontal ?

Because the oman scutumof the first century BC were different from those of the second century BC …

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

According to Barker, who is never one for underplaying the Roman army, from the Marian reforms until those of Augustus legionaries carried only a heavy throwing weapon – a pilum. No javelin.

I’m sure that if St. Phil could have found any reference to them being double-armed he’d have mentioned it. 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Paskal
    Spectator

Yes, but St Peter did not usually tell bullshit

For what it’s worth, Delbruck’s answer to this question is that the heavier one was employed for defensive fire from camps and fortifications.

Paskal
    Spectator

I do not believe it, I think that in combat, despite the horizontal handle of the scutum, legionaries took two pilum, moreover this is what explains Polybius !

Guy Farrish
    Participant

the pilum

you could always have a look at this – which is currently on offer at a reduced price  as an ebook ( a purchase pop up will probably appear when it loads – just click cancel to have a look.)

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

the pilum you could always have a look at this – which is currently on offer at a reduced price as an ebook ( a purchase pop up will probably appear when it loads – just click cancel to have a look.)

Does Bishop have anything to say re: horn cantle saddle v stirrups? 😉

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Oddly enough Bishop and Coulston’s Roman Military Equipment is also on sale at £8.03 on the same site! I believe he mentions the change from the 4 horned saddle to the cantle steppe saddle in the 5th century in there. How strange you should mention it.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Oddly enough Bishop and Coulston’s Roman Military Equipment is also on sale at £8.03 on the same site! I believe he mentions the change from the 4 horned saddle to the cantle steppe saddle in the 5th century in there. How strange you should mention it.

It was quite a controversy at one time, may still be. All those stirrupless kataphraktoi charging around with their 12 foot kontos defied logic 🙂

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I wondered if we were taking a stroll down Society of Ancients Fights of Old Lane.

Couched lance versus ‘overarm prodding’ about anyone?

How do you spell ‘disingenuous’?

Paskal
    Spectator

One thing is certain, in the first century AD, there is no more light pilum and the heavy pilum receives a counterweight.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.