Home Forums General General A nice beef stew and a 6mm army to boot

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  greg954 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

greg954
    Participant

Been cooking this afternoon. Now don’t get me wrong I enjoy it. But it means being tethered to the kitchen for half the day. Decided to do a beef stew which means there’s a certain amount of downtime with it. Which is fine but I don’t like wasting any free time. Since there’s lots on my painting table. I’ve 6mm armoured units to paint and a 15mm fantasy project to crack on with.

Then I thought…….why not do both at the same time? I’ve never really been good at multitasking….but I must say it was very successful. Here’s what I got up to while cooking and modelling.

INGREDIENTS

3-4 pounds beef

30-40 6mm Brigade Models tanks and artillery

1-3 tablespoons vegetable oil

super glue

onions, carrots, potatoes and garlic finely chopped

2 Squadron Commander aircraft finely cast

2 tablespoons Worcestershire, divided

2 flight stands, divided

1 teaspoon salt

1 spray can of primer

flour

Vallejo colours

1 cup red wine

1 drop bottle of ink wash

fresh thyme, tomato paste, chicken stock

Bases, decals, vehicle stowage

1 cup frozen peas

1 can of spray varnish

Salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS

Cube the beef. Use a sharp knife and don’t forget to keep your fingers out of the way and your thumb tucked in as you’re slicing through the meat. Also don’t glue your fingers together as you stick on the tracks to the hulls and the MGs to the turrets.

Warm the pot and begin searing the meat. This can be done while you are waiting for the primer to dry.

Continue searing all the meat. Let the beef cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, Transfer the seared meat to a clean bowl and continue searing the remaining meat. Once done you can get to work undercoating the tanks and artillery

Cook the vegetables. Once all the meat has been seared and the models undercoated in your chosen colour. You can prepare the vegetables and think about assigning decals to the various units as you cook the veg.

Add the flour. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir until there is no more visible flour and the veg looks slightly mushy from the flour coating. By this time you can start picking out the various other colours. Gun barrels, windows, tracks and wheels.

Deglaze the pan with the wine. Raise the heat back up to medium-high and pour in the wine. The wine should immediately start bubbling and steaming. Pour yourself some wine too and drink it while you continue painting.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the stock and the seared meat to the pan and add the seasoning. Stir to combine. Check models to see how the base coats are drying.

Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Bring the broth to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. This really give you time to crack on finishing the painting, dry brushing and ink washing to boot.

Add the potatoes and carrots. Add the potatoes and carrots to the stew. Cover the pot again and continue cooking for another 45-60 minutes. By this time the models should be dry enough to apply your chosen decals.

Add the peas and remaining seasonings. Stir the frozen peas into the stew and finish with a coat or two of varnish to seal in the decals.

So there you have it a very productive afternoon. A nice beef stew and a division of tanks and artillery for a up coming game. Just remember you can paint any scale while cooking, doesn’t have to be 6mm. You can prepare scenery with your vegetables if you want.

So who else manages to fit other things in at the same time as modelling?

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  greg954.
    Not Connard Sage
    Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Seems like a recipe for disaster 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Gone Fishing
    Participant

What a lovely way to spend a Sunday! Thank you for sharing with us. (And that stew recipe is a good one. I’d guess the house smells dreamy…)

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Can’t even paint and drink tea at the same time without mixing them up.

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

I can paint/model etc. whilst listening to The Archers podcast, but cooking requires my full attention.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

Can’t even paint and drink tea at the same time without mixing them up.

Try putting blue dye in your turps, or your G&T.

Mike Headden
    Mike Headden
    Participant

Painting While Cooking

Step 1: Assemble cookery ingredients

Step 2: Assemble painting items

Step 3: Open wine to let it breathe, pour a generous glassful to drink

Step 4: Heat oil in a pan, cube beef and saute in the pan

Step 5: Have another glass of wine

Step 6: Prime the items to be painted, spray or brush as preferred

Step 7: Have another glass of wine

Step 8: Undercoat the vegetables, coat items to be painted in plain flour

Step 9: Have ‘nother wass of gline

Step 10: Glaze the beef with Agrax Earthshade, wash the figures with red wine

Step 10: Open another bottle of wine, glass yourself a pour.

Step 11 : Stir the figures into the vegetables

Step 12: Stand up straight, attempt the loyal toast, pass out

🙂 🙂 🙂

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Hmmm… SWMBO is making beef stew today. I can’t let her know this is an option.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Just don’t accidentally sub artillery for the frozen peas… no one likes crunchy stew!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Sounds like a wonderful day but there appears to be a tiny bayonet in my stew!

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

greg954
    Participant

Can’t believe it’s nearly been a week. Well I must say the stew was a success, even better the following day. I put this down to only having one wass of gline. Otherwise it would of been me feeling dreamy and been a recipe for disaster, with artillery instead of peas.

Unfortunately, I haven’t quite finished the models. The up and coming game, to my disappointment isn’t happening just yet . Still, the stew cheered me up!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.