Home Forums General General A NOT rant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I fear I may be in the minority, but I get vexed (silly I know) when people ask for NOT something, such as NOT Doctor Who, or NOT predators, or NOT colonial marines.

If people want Doctor Who, ask for Doctor Who.
    NOT Doctor Who is a Spartan warrior, or a French Hussar or a Churchill tank, these are things that are NOT Doctor Who.
    Calling something NOT doesn’t magically waive any copyright infringement.

Is it just me?

kyoteblue
    Participant

It’s just you…..wink wink.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Is it just me?

It’s not just you…

oh, hang on.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Spurious
    Participant

They way I use it, it isn’t just identifying the trying-to-avoid-a-C&D-order stuff but also the miniatures which do actually have certain notable alterations, like certain not-Predators don’t have the right mandibles, or all the not-Space Marines that have a similar design but go all out on the steampunk/roman/greek vibe. It’s a good term for that at least, since it’s clearly understood that the miniature is very much like something else, but isn’t it.

Plus it helps distinguish stuff from actual licensed products, like with the AvP game or the old Starship Troopers bugs.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I think it’s just tongue in cheek, Mike. Nobody thinks they’re getting away with anything, nor is anyone really advocating copyright infringement, it’s just a way of saying “close-as-makes-no-difference.”

I mean I’d love for GW to produce and support a 3mm scale Epic line. And if I had a Rolls Royce Phantom-II, I’d polish and wax it every day. But it ain’t gonna happen. So to distinguish my own project from something officially sanctioned that it is nevertheless pretending to be, I refer to them as my “Not-Space Marines.” It’s not that I’m trying to fool anyone or get away with anything, I’m just doing my own thing.

Norm S
    Participant

Agree with Mike. For the purposes quoted, “LIKE Dr. Wh0” would be the better description. For private stuff and fun, I doubt anyone would get too bothered, but for commercial stuff, there is doubtless an issue.

paintpig
    Participant

Definitely you….

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.