Home Forums Air and Sea Naval A Quick Look at Cruel Seas

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    DM
    Participant

Some initial thoughts on Warlord’s new “Cruel Seas” on my blog:

http://dtbsam.blogspot.com/2018/12/cruel-seas-qlr.html

It is something of a curate’s egg, but if it is getting new blood into naval wargaming then that has to be a good thing :0

A more detailed look at the rules coming later in the week

Thomaston
    Participant

I haven’t seen the rules but I agree the choice of scale is weird, extending to Bolt Action . As for the reasoning, I’m hoping they follow through a release some quality 6mm crew for the boats, but I wouldn’t beholding my breath.

Tired is enough.

Paul
    Participant

A lot of my mates are getting the game, so im sure ill be playing it in the new year, but I managed to resist the temptation to get it myself.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

DM
    Participant

Paul, I’d say “give in to the temptation”. It really is quite fun 🙂

MattH
    Participant

I have to agree 1/300 with the game scale they’re using just looks daft to me, like a bunch of toy boats in a bathtub. But I guess that’s the Games Workshop/Warlord Games style isn’t it? Massive great models crammed into a tiny space. Looks good on photographs, looks silly (to me) on the table.

Each to their own and all that, but if I want to get into WW2 coastal stuff there are better options out there.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I haven’t seen the rules but I agree the choice of scale is weird, extending to Bolt Action . As for the reasoning, I’m hoping they follow through a release some quality 6mm crew for the boats, but I wouldn’t beholding my breath.

The boats come with crew. Whether they’re ‘quality’ or not is in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Apparently webroot hates your blog and detects it as hosting malicious virus and such.  “ll have to try to look on my phone instead.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah, but you see, if they go with 1/600 then you could buy other manufacturers’ boats and not theirs, and that wouldn’t be cricket, ya?

DM
    Participant

Apparently webroot hates your blog and detects it as hosting malicious virus and such. “ll have to try to look on my phone instead.

Just ran a whole series of security checks and no issues found, so probably your protection programme getting a bit over-enthusiastic 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Just ran a whole series of security checks and no issues found, so probably your protection programme getting a bit over-enthusiastic

Indeed, it really seems to hate 90% of blog sites, which really bums me out as I then have to pull out the old cellphone and do the millennial neck-bend!

Mike Headden
    Participant

Got the rules (and complimentary U-boat) this afternoon.

Looks fairly basic, but potentially quite a bit of, somewhat ahistorical, fun.

Army lists (Navy lists?) seem to be missing some pretty standard stuff but it shouldn’t be too hard to add things in if you want.

Ship cards worry me – unnecessary clutter taking up useful table space in most cases – but time will tell

I plan to use my existing 1/600 stuff from my WW2 NW Europe collection plus a few additions to move away from beaches and out into open water!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Ah, but you see, if they go with 1/600 then you could buy other manufacturers’ boats and not theirs, and that wouldn’t be cricket, ya?

H&R launched (sorry) a small range of resin 1/300 models last? year. 😉

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.