Home Forums Ancients A vague question about ancient idolatry…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by venusboys3 venusboys3 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    venusboys3
    venusboys3
    Participant

I remember reading an article last summer discussing ancient polytheism. One interesting bit discussed how sometimes idols were draped/covered to punish the god for various reasons… like a bad crop or bad weather or whatever.

Another bit was about how sometimes, particularly during sieges, the besieging army might openly propitiate the god of the besieged city… as a gesture toward stealing the god’s favor away from the enemy. I seem to remember there was a specific term for this.

I was hoping to make use of the information for a semi-historical RPG I’ve planning to run.

Anyway, is any of this familiar to anyone? I’ve done a few searches and can’t seem to get past reams and reams of Christian anti-idolatry quotations… so any help pointing me toward some reference would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

venusboys3
    venusboys3
    Participant

Well, of course, right after posting this I found the term: Evocatio, a Roman practice… though I assume the concept didn’t originate with them.

I still can’t find any reference to draping idols to punish them… deny a god worship.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by venusboys3 venusboys3.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by venusboys3 venusboys3.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.