Home Forums WWI A wargamer is born

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

The newest member of our little group had never wargamed before he’d met us some 16 months ago.

After indulging in various Colonial, WW2 & Napoleonic game at Chez Ochoin’s, he bravely said he’d like to test the waters himself and create armies for a period we didn’t do. The Great War.

He turned to me for advice about rules, figures, scenery etc……and with my profound dearth of knowledge, I asked questions here.

The quick point to this story is he’s bought & painted a bunch of figures, begun building scenery & invited me over last night for a first game (Great War Spearhead).

His scenario – ” asection of Operation Michael in Kaisers War (1918). Germans are trying to get to the railway junction at the end of the board by church. Allied force consists of British empire, French and US troops. Germans includes sturmtrupp (storm troops) to enter on the flank. Allies have MK5 tanks and whippets (actually Char Bs). On table & off table artillery.

Now, please don’t be too judgemental about his layout. The trench sections are prototypes & he’s going to replace them with MD insulation panels etc.

I’m stunned that he went from nothing to this in 7 months. The game went surprisingly well. We’ll do it again in 2 weeks & some time after that, he wants to invite members of our group over for a pukka game, using this scenario.

A wargamer is born.

donald

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

That is wicked, I hope this is the start of years of happiness for him!

Good on him and on the group for supporting him.
    There are plenty of cliquey groups out there that have been the reason people have been put off wargaming so fair play to you all.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Good on him and on the group for supporting him. .

He’s an ex-para. I’m afraid he’ll kill me if I’m not nice.

(And I’ll repeat that TWW supported me in answering a half dozen queries about the period so I could support him. So well done, TWW).

donald

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Superb. I hope you get lots of great games in with him.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

How very cool.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

(And I’ll repeat that TWW supported me in answering a half dozen queries about the period so I could support him. So well done, TWW).

Time to send him here directly?

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Time to send him here directly?

I have mentioned TWW to him & sent links to items I thought might interest him from a couple of keen WW1 members here. As I do with my other 3 wargaming pals.

They’re not overly interested.  I’m not entirely sure why. With at least one of them, his experiences at that other forum soured him against wargaming forums possibly for life. Yes, I know, TWW is light-years different but there you are.

I know some things advertised here have resulted in purchases after I’ve referred them on, I assume they check out links to JozisTinman etc & they do look at photos of my/our stuff I post here but you can’t make people participate.

donald

donald

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Very cool.
    Always nice to make new wargamers out of people 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.