Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I picked up a cheap copy of the Axis&Allies 1941 game from Target (had to order it online though) and was pleasantly surprised.

I think Axis&Allies is a bit of a guilty pleasure for a lot of hardcore gamers, but I’ve always enjoyed the game, if not the never-ending duration of same.

This version is basically cut down for pace: You have less income and thus less units on the board which both speeds things up, reduces clutter and makes each action feel a lot more important.
    Some rules are removed (research most notably) while most of the units have been tweaked (at least compared to the original version I played).

Overall, for 15ish dollars, well recommended.
    From what I understand, the figure set is new as well. As usual, the infantry guy for each nation looks distinct and they look similar to the originals.

Vehicles look the same for all Allied forces while the two Axis nations get their own look. I would have liked to see little T34 and Shermans but what can you do?

The only annoyances are that you have to track money on paper (which isn’t a big deal) and that it’s pretty hard to tell destroyers and transports apart.

All in all, it’s a fun update to a classic and you might actually get to finish a game once in a while.
    I need to play more, especially as the kid really got into it, but my conclusion so far is that I prefer this to the original version.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Rhoderic
    Participant

If it doesn’t make me have to sit through an hour of watching other people play the game, between every 10 minutes of me getting to play the game, I might be interested in trying to convince my A&A-loving friends to take it up, just so I never have to play ordinary A&A ever again. “Guilty pleasure”? Try “suffering of the innocent” 

Sorry. I get that you enjoy the original game. It just… brings back memories of frustrated idling, combined with a palpable sense of having my reward for waiting patiently snatched away from me every time the game laboriously cycled around to my turn again, because the cat-and-mouse re-positioning of “army groups” and fleets would never end. I tend to judge other grand strategic area control boardgames by how well they leave A&A in the dust with newer and more innovative gameplay mechanics that feel like they’ve been designed specifically to avoid everything A&A does wrong.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s become a major problem for the publishers (whoever that is these days… WotC?). The game design is just too old-fashioned, especially in regard to the structuring of activity and inactivity for players. Hence spin-offs like A&A 1941 designed to compete with newer, better games in the same genre and at the same level (my personal favourite is Shogun) that leave ever more grand-strategic-area-control boardgamers never wanting to sit through classic A&A again.

(*Exhales, while sanity returns to eyes*)… rant over 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.