Home Forums Modern AAR34 & 35: The Uwanda/Mugabia War (African Imagi-Nations)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    irishserbirishserb
    Participant

I managed to play a game last night, and as i started to post the AAR, I realized that I hadn’t posted links to recent blog posts related to the Uwanda/Mugabia War.  So here they are:

AAR34: The Big Clash – A large 6mm ground battle played about three weeks ago.

The Cuban Will Fight – A little back story setting up the latest battle.

AAR35: The Turning Point? – Last Night’s Battle.

Hope it might be of some interest, and thanks for looking.

irishserb

Tony STony S
    Participant

Absolutely of interest.  I like the simple but effective way you’ve recreated the look of the African savannah.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Nice to revisit this ongoing campaign. Thanks, irishserb!!

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Great AARs.  Were it not for the Cubans, I am sure the Mugabians would have been shredded at B41.  That B30 battle was pretty epic!  I do love the little story lines you have going on, and that loss of the General was a bit of a bummer story-wise, but good battle-wise.  I have to admit that I am rooting for Uwanda, I just can’t support a dictator.

So, with the Cubans coming into open battle, does that mean another outside force might step in to help out Uwanda?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Gaz045
    Participant

Great AAR’s from the African front!

These reports really encourage me to ‘extract digit’ and get on with some painting and gaming!!

Awaiting the next instalment!!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Uwanda is in a bit of a bind, they had some bad die rolls in the strategic phase of things leading up to this battle.  Some things are already in play that I still need to settle out, and then I still need to sort out Uwanda’s forces.  Then figure out the next bit of the strategic stuff.  Hoping to have a window of time Wednesday, but may not be until the weekend.

Thomaston
    Participant

These were fun read. I was surprised at the total casualties but these were very immersive. Minis and terrain loks very good, from initial photo I thought they were 1/600.

I liked how random air strikes were.

Tired is enough.

Jim JackamanJim Jackaman
    Participant
    Participant

I was surprised at the total casualties

I find the casualties highly believable, which is very interesting to me considering how most wargames usually result in extreme bloodbaths (mostly due to the players disregard for their units in order to get the win).

Thomaston
    Participant

I find the casualties highly believable, which is very interesting to me considering how most wargames usually result in extreme bloodbaths (mostly due to the players disregard for their units in order to get the win).

Me too, I was used to seeing 100+ or total destruction with all those tanks.

Tired is enough.

Iain FullerIain Fuller
    Participant

Ace as usual, I’ve been loving this series and it has nothing to do with to the Vickers Mk.3 being involved, oh no, absolutely not.

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

Just to clarify, the troop casualties only refer to infantry losses, as I decided not to keep track of crew bailouts for my campaign (though the rules allow for it).  Casualties for Uwanda for example, if including crew injuries would likely include 28+ additional KIA, and another 14+ WIA.  Tank losses due to missiles and large caliber tank rounds would cause a disproportionate number of a fatals  added to the lists.

With respect to casualties, for the battle, infantry are simply hit/out of action, or otherwise still combat effective after taking fire/hits.  At the end, depending on who wins the battlefield, bringing cultural/doctinal. and medical resources of each side into consideration, hits are then decided to be fatal or just wounds.  So if Mugabia wins the battlefield, Uwanda’s wounded that are left behind are less likely to receive needed medical attention, than Mugabian wounded in the reverse situation due to doctrine/training/resources.

For lower level skirmish games, I sometimes use an alternate system that assigns severity of injury at the time the hit is taken, such that severe wounds require more immediate attention and impose greater restrictions on mobility.  Thus, managing wounded becomes a component of the battle,  Wounded troops that could survive, might “bleed out” during a battle if they can’t be attended to, etc.

Participant

For lower level skirmish games, I sometimes use an alternate system that assigns severity of injury at the time the hit is taken, such that severe wounds require more immediate attention and impose greater restrictions on mobility.  Thus, managing wounded becomes a component of the battle,  Wounded troops that could survive, might “bleed out” during a battle if they can’t be attended to, etc.

THis!  I totally agree, wounded should be part of battle management.  For me, when a figure is hit it is either knocked down temporarily (flesh wound, checking themselves over) or in an unknown “wounded” state until checked on by another figure.  If the wounded troop is not checked in 3 or so turns he automatically dies as it assumed he was badly hit.  If he is checked he can be determined to be not wounded and just taking stock, lightly wounded and able to fight, too injured to fight, or just plain dead.   As dead and MIA take away big points it behooves the player to check on his wounded as quickly as possible, plus it keeps morale from dipping, especially if they can be evaced.

Jonathan EllisonJonathan Ellison
    Participant

Fancy doing something similar?

JonathanE

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.