Home Forums Modern AAR:36 Uwanda v. Mugabia Imagi-nations Air Battle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I posted  my latest AAR for my African imagi-nations war on my blog.  It is an air battle between Uwanda, and Soviet air assets now protecting Mugabia.  The game was played using  Missile Threat rules, which worked very well for the battle, allowing me to manage 8 aircraft without too much trouble in my first game.

Suffice it to say that the Migs did well.  For more detail and pics, go to:

http://irishserb.blogspot.com/2020/03/aa36-third-world-meets-first-world.html

Missile Threat rules (from Wargame Vault) worked very smoothly.  The abstractions gave a reasonable relative presentation of the elements of air combat, and still allowed a lot of flying to be done by the player.  I was both surprised and pleased with the results, and will be using these for air battles in the future.  I adapted my old flight stands for the game, which eliminated the need for an altitude die on the base of the stand.  I also set up the scenario based on my strategic rules for the campaign, rather than using the scenario set up rules included in Missile Threat.

Thanks for looking.

irishserb

Participant

Pretty cool, Brian, thanks for sharing the batrep and your thoughts on the rules.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Quite the trouncing.  I think you can attribute that lose of advantage at the first to Soviet overconfidence!  They did make good in the end, which was a bummer for the good guys.  (are the Uwandans the good guys? Hmmmm…)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Very cool. I love the flight stands – so much better than using dice to represent altitude. Also, I think your upside down sea cloth makes a pretty decent cloudscape.

Participant

Looks great!  I might steal, um borrow, your flight stand design.  It looks good and it is fast and easy to change altitude.

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

Participant

Thanks guys!

There was some Soviet overconfidence, but I got that straightened about right quick.  It came out lopsided, but it really took a lot of work (i.e., flying), and the Soviets did have an edge.  I had to be careful not to stall out the F5s, as they started out at a cruising speed, and the Migs came in too hot (thus the missed first shot opportunity), but combined with their power, used it to much of an advantage.

I was really impressed with the level of detail in the rules making the aircraft perform very differently, with relatively simple record keeping.

The stands don’t make for great photo ops, but they are functional, allowing one to keep track of altitude and attitude without any record keeping.  The clips allow the model to be positioned climbing or diving and simultaneously rolled if need be.  The wire in the plane is .32″ and with a little kink in it, fits tightly enough into a piece of brass tube to be positioned as needed.   For Missile Threat, the stands only need 6 altitude bands, but mine are set up with 36  1/2″ increments in 7 altitude bands.  They could be easily only a half or third as tall, and still clearly demonstrate the differing altitudes.

I’m going to try a Cold War game circa 1958 this weekend, hopefully with some gun combat to get a feel for the associated rules.

Participant

I’m going to try a Cold War game circa 1958 this weekend, hopefully with some gun combat to get a feel for the associated rules.

Now THAT sounds cool!  Get some Vampires and Skyrays and Delta Daggers in the air vs. Mig-17s and Mig 19s!  That should be fun dogfighting.

Participant

I’m going to take it easy with a couple of Yak-25s and the unlikely opponent of two French Mysteres, just to get a better grasp of the flight, shooting, and maneuver mechanics in the next game.

I meant to add earlier that I kind of see Uwanda as “the Good Guys”, but usually the games degenerate to me simply seeing the leaders as being unworthy of their troops, and I have different flavors of corruption built into the back story of each side, much of which hasn’t had need to be shared yet.

Participant

I just posted some fluff to start off the next stage of the Uwanda-Mugabia War on my blog at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2020/04/african-imagi-nations-war-goes-on.html

Thanks for looking.

irishserb

Participant

The next installment of the Uwanda-Mugabia War story is posted:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-meeting-with-soviets-uwanda-mugabia.html

Thanks for looking.

irishserb

Participant

Nice!  You know I love the fluffins.

Can’t wait to see what this plan is.  Dern your cliffhangers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.