Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

This topic contains 1390 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by Angel Barracks Angel Barracks 21 hours, 19 minutes ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1391 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

In my CROM! games I have been plodding along with a generic location, but it is about time I place it into Hyboria proper.

I have the main village of Simurgh which my hero’s frequent and then there are the regular run ins with the tribe from Utuseb.

I am not sure what the best fit would be, something like Shem or Stygia?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

How about somewhere in the wastelands near the border of Stygia, Kushan and Punt also nominally under the influence of Turan?

Here’s a map with short explanation for each nation.

link

Cheers,

Stroezie.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I’d say Stroezie is correct. That general area would have the right feel. Great link, by the way!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So I am thinking the two main settlements are somewhere in these circles with the lines being trade routes?

Simurgh being an extension of Turan and Utuseb of Punt?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Yep, that would be more or less where I would put them.

That way you could justify the skirmishes as a kind of war by proxie as the different nations try to feel each other out by playing  the various wasteland settlements of against each other. All while trying to gain more influence in the area and gain control over the trade routes. Meanwhile there is of course a darker evil slowly stirring out in the desert…

Of course that would be my spin on things, not saying it should be yours.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks
    General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Beautiful brushwork.  Put me down as seriously impressed.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

That looks awesome !!!

Love the richness of the colors, obviously first quality Turanian carpets, perfect for wrapping princesses !

This has also decided something for me, when I start my indoor adventures I’ll be making new Conan specific terrain instead of just using my old 15mm  D&D set. It’s just not opulent enough 

Really looking forward to getting these now, don’t know if I’ll manage to give mine quite the luxury apperance yours have, but I’m going to have fun trying anyways.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Those really are beautifully done. Though I’ve decided to forge on in 28mm for my CROM! project – better sense finally prevailed – I can’t say enough how impressed I am with all your offerings. May all the wealth of Turan and Shem and Khitai be yours! Yes, I’m quite convinced now, doing Conan in two scales is just too silly for words.

Isn’t it?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Better sense ?

Nonsense !

Better sense has nothing what so ever to do with this hobby, you stop that right now sir !

No, no,no this just won’t do!

Lets see ,we’ll have 28mm for skirmish, 15mm for larger engagements, oh and 6mm for a travel set of course!

Yes, yes much better…       much better…    mumble mumble…    young whippersnapper…   mumble….

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Thanks everyone, no real skill involved, just patience to create the illusion of quality!

Yes, I’m quite convinced now, doing Conan in two scales is just too silly for words.
    Isn’t it?

No.
    Though if you do persist in this oversized 28mm madness be sure to share your work, and be sure to use the Trading Post forum to sell off the 28mm when you finally realise how much more stuff you could get in 15mm.

😀

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Stroezie, AB, your words of wisdom have been duly noted. Of course, as I have all the restraint of a drunk in a distillery, I may well end out pursuing the world of Hyboria in multiple scales. The travel pack is a good idea.

One thing I’m not especially tempted by, for whatever reason, is large scale, army actions. The fates of dynasties and nations I can easily forego; instead give me small, sharp actions, with our favourite barbarian as a thief with a few companions, up against a wizard or a king and his bully boys – perhaps an eldritch horror or two – and I’m set. Nice and focused, just like AB’s been doing on the Crom’s Anvil site.

I don’t want to hijack the thread, but currently I’m having great fun picking up characters in 28mm. The Otherworld demon idol is likewise exerting siren-like pull…

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m collecting figures for two different Conan skirmish projects in 28mm and an additional one in 15mm.

I’ve been amassing 28mm figures for Conan gaming for more than ten years, though I’ve not achieved much in the way of painting them. For several years that was the only project I had – I’d fooled myself that I’d scrapped all other projects so that the entirety of my miniature gaming hobby was the Hyborian Age in 28mm. Eventually I took up other projects again, and when I returned to assess my Conan hoard I came to feel that it was too eclectic a mix of figures. The brunt was historical figures but there were also some really fantastical fantasticals that jarred with the historicals. So, I split it into two projects. One uses mainly historical figures and is more in keeping with REH’s original vision. The other is much more OTT, drawing mainly from the films, the comics (both Marvel and Dark Horse), the artwork from the 60s onward (Frazetta, Vallejo, etc) and the video game visuals. The former project is more extensive than the latter.

The 15mm project coalesced much more recently thanks to TWW. I suppose that in terms of style it’s more of an amalgam or a golden mean, but if I had to define the style as any one thing, the Marvel comics would be it. The Conan comics are just about the only thing Marvel ever made that I like.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

On your birthday what is best in life?

THIS>>

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Michael: Man, that is a cracking way to celebrate another year under the belt. Hopefully you have plenty of spare time this weekend for perusal. Let us know what you think of that book. Happy birthday!!!

Rhoderic, I find your approach to Conan fascinating. And strangely tempting. I tend to drift a little in the Fantasy direction myself: I love painting evil, frequently bald, sorcerous types, monsters and so forth – the bigger the better – and so to some degree that determines the figures on the workbench. Having said that, quasi-historical humans should always be the main features of a Conan story. Next up for yours truly are Picts: I’m using the Monolith plastics. I’m not sure they’re exactly what Howard had in mind, but they just look so very, very cool, at least to my eyes. I look forward to doing the warpaint.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Happy Birthday man, have a good one!

I hope that book wil give you loads of inspiration for the future ( at least gaming wise that is )

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Happy birthday!

Rhoderic, I find your approach to Conan fascinating. And strangely tempting. I tend to drift a little in the Fantasy direction myself: I love painting evil, frequently bald, sorcerous types, monsters and so forth – the bigger the better – and so to some degree that determines the figures on the workbench. Having said that, quasi-historical humans should always be the main features of a Conan story. Next up for yours truly are Picts: I’m using the Monolith plastics. I’m not sure they’re exactly what Howard had in mind, but they just look so very, very cool, at least to my eyes. I look forward to doing the warpaint.

I suppose the “central tenet” of my approach is that there’s numerous visual interpretations of the Hyborian Age (and the Atlantean Age that goes with it). We’re talking about 8-9 decades of interpretations – each made after its own “spirit of the age” – in several different visual media and partly different subcultures within the grand topography of fantasy fan culture.

Even looking at just one medium, the comics, there’s a very distinct difference between the 70s-90s Marvel aesthetic and the noughties-onwards Dark Horse one (and there’s a few other, more obscure comic adaptations too). I like to call these “fur loincloth Conan” (Marvel) and “kilt Conan” (Dark Horse) 

Each visual interpretation has bastardised REH’s vision in one way or another – even the original cover artists for Weird Tales magazine were “getting it wrong” from the start – but that’s not the point. The point is, each visual has worth in and of itself, and they can exist side-by-side as different, discrete things.

I for my part can’t really decide which visual is my favourite, so I like to jump from one to another, because I can. My previous mistake with my 28mm project was trying to weld too many of them together into one thing.

Taking Picts as an example, I think the Monolith boardgame ones would suit my deliberately OTT 28mm Conan project perfectly if only there were a few more poses of them. For my more down-to-earth 28mm Conan project, I’ve chosen Gripping Beast Skraelings (although now I can’t remember whether I’ve actually bought them or not, and they seem to be OOP now ). For the 15mm project, the Copplestone Picts were part of what informed my chosen aesthetic in the first place.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

AB, please delete this if we’re hijacking your thread!

Rhoderic, all that you say is interesting. Personally, my inspiration almost all comes, I realize now, from Frazetta’s paintings (and then, not all of them), with a few sprinkles of the first Arnie Conan film, along with, somewhat oddly, the old 80’s film, The Beastmaster (Conan for kids)

I couldn’t agree more regarding those early Weird Tales covers. Most of them are quite ridiculous, looking more like Nick from The Great Gatsby, stripped and in shorts, than our favourite iron-thewed Cimmerian. Don’t even get me going about the women…Did they even read the stories?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Maybe a new topic about inspirational Conan things?

You could even call it:  ‘What is best in life?’

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

That is not a bad idee, somewhere where we can dump all our links to miniatures, artwork, stories and movies that have inspired our conan games and might prove inspirational to others (might be best to put a time dump warning on top, knowing the people that frequent this forum, its liable to grow to enormous proportions pretty quickly)

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I can resist anything but temptation. Thread started!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

A while back I made and moulded up some little stone pillar post things.
    Bricks with a slab on top.
    Here I have a couple with some Strozie-esque fire bowls on them.

If anyone wants a few of the pillars let me know, I can stick them in with orders FOC.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Casting up the Shaman’s Circle for the Crom Funder today:

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Sorry Micheal, couldn’t resist.

Small fire bowls are looking good, probabely a lot more sensible if you want to avoid burning down the place too

Gone Fishing
    Participant

They look good to me. Braziers (and brassieres?) of all sizes are needed for Conan games, methinks. Looking forward to seeing some painted up!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Cheers, I have decided* they will be on either side of the entrance to Simurgh.

I am not sure the best way to enclose Simurgh though?
    Low stone wall, big stone wall?
    Fences, ditch and crude barricades?
    The ‘walls’ need not be especially effective, but the feeling of safety will be increased if there is a tangible border/line that defines an inside and an outside.

It is still small but as it is seeing growth it will need to protect itself from bandits.

*until I change my mind that is..

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I am making another hut, a slightly bigger and more prestigious hut.

But for whom?
    The Shaman or the Chief?

What do you reckon, initially I thought shaman but then wondered if he would live in something less conventional, such as a cave or something?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

I say give it to the chieftan!

For the shaman maybe something like a hollow baobab tree?

Something like Jagganath’s sci fi trees but bigger trunk with small tufts of vegetation https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/jagannaths-15mm-sci-fi/

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

oooh a weird tree, nice idea.

Thinking of something like this for the walls of Simurgh.

The fire bowls are separate but seeing as I will need a few of these wall sections I may as well mould them up for sale too!

Just need to glue it together and then fill the gaps..

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

That combination is killer!

I immediately started imagining a scenario where someone or maybe even someting is grabbing villagers at night and the heroes have to patrol the streets to try and catch him/it.

Way cool!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Solid-looking wall that, and the firebowls are a nice touch. It will make the place look positivly civilized 🙂

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I have filled the gaps with ‘mortar’ and stuck it all together, however…

Do I coat the walls in a clay/mud/plaster like my dwellings or leave it as is?

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

I would leave them as them as they are that way they tie in nicely with your small shrine as part of the new constuction now that the town is booming 

Also ,

with plaster = foamcore + spacle = I can do that me!

As is = wow cutting a bunch of bricks and stacking them one by one that looks like to much work = I’ll just buy those and save myself the trouble.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ha ha, already coated them!

I can make another section though that is plain.

😀

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Test cast of the plain wall:

The plain wall with added pillars:

The fancy pants wall with added firebowls (firebowls not available to buy):

jagannath
    Participant

That look great – you could also use two to replicate a scene set some on ramparts too.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I am considering doing another wall without the slabs on top so you could stack them to make taller walls.
    Also a sort of gate post pillar, but how many bricks tall, 4 or 5?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

They look great! A lot of potential scenario fun there.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

I’d go with 4 bricks for the gate posts, they are usually not that much taller than the walls themselves unless there’s also a sign above the gate.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ha Ha, again I ignored you!
    😀

I went for 5 as if people decide to stack the walls when I do the just bricks version then a 4 tall pillar will not be higher than the walls.
    If people use a single wall and think 5 too high, it should be pretty straight forward just to cleave a section off.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1391 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.