Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,928 total)
  • Author
    OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I guess you’re right.  I feel out of place there as well and have switched to Instagram and this site.  There is a lot more variety in terms of 15mm these days.

Ill keep posting!

Fincas Khalmoril
    Participant

Never had much success on LAF, my 6mm went down like a lead balloon and not much in the way of interest of my 15mm either. LAF always seemed to be for 25mm branded high quality finished games to me. (which my stuff is not) Besides, I have a vested interest in making TWW the place to be! 😉

I would not be that negative. There is a small but active group of people posting 15s.

Nevertheless, when compared to the vast majority of posts, your general estimation is probably right: LAF is way more interested in 28s and the posts of masterful painters in that scale draw most users.

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

So, I am reviewing how best to make Crom’s Anvil grow.

There is bucket loads more profit in the resin items compared to the figures.
    But figures are cooler?

The resin items are a lot quicker and cheaper to get to market.
    The figures depend.
    Of the 2 sculptors I use, 1 is very quick and good, the other is very slow and excellent.

So I think in order to increase the amount figures, I will use the quick guy for villains and NPC types and I will use the slower guy for the Hero models.
    So I have Erland and Eydis at the casters (by the slow guy) and I have 3 greens being posted to me in the next couple of days (by the quick guy)

Here are some pics of the Simurgh Town Guard:

Whilst not as sexy (?) as the Hero sculpts they are still very nice.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh yes, figures are indeed cool, and those guards look dern good!  I think the real secret is having figures, terrain, and rules all to go together.  People like a package deal.  You wouldn’t believe how often I get asked “what rules are your minis for?”, and have even had people tell me that they wouldn’t purchase any as I do not have a dedicated ruleset.  You’d think that those people would be in the minority but I have noticed an uptick in recent years…

I think your fast guy/slow guy plan is a good one, keeps the new releases flowing!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

MikeMike
    Keymaster

That is one of the reasons I did my sci-fi KR16 rules, I had the same stumbling block with people not being sure what to do with the figures…
    😐
    Hence me doing some fantasy rules for these lot, I also have a feeling that as they will not be free, people will take them more seriously.

Anyway, I have just had the test casts of Erland and Eydis turn up, so you know….

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

It’s called world building I think.  Darkest Star is probably right, people like the whole package.  Crom’s Anvil is unlike anything else out there.  I’m not a huge Conan fan, but everything looks great all together.  One of my favourite miniature companies is called Strange Aeons.  They used a lot of Coppelstone and Pulp figures at the beginning of their tenure, slowly building the range.  Crom’s Anvil on the other hand has moved pretty quickly with nice terrain that can be used in a lot of  Pulp and war games too.  I’m pretty impressed.

If you stick a truck and an Indiana Jones figure in with the terrain you could have a great Pulp game too.

As for the figures, I like them a lot.  They have a good theme and are sculpted well.  I like the Arabian style of the miniatures.  Those guards could be painted with orc skin as well.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

If you stick a truck and an Indiana Jones figure in with the terrain you could have a great Pulp game too.

That’s a damned fine idea that hadn’t occurred to me – nice one OldBen1

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Honestly I think those guards look fantastic, just as good as the heroic types you posted earlier. Congratulations on finding such a talented team! Your whole, growing “package” at Crom’s Anvil is extremely tempting, I must say. It’s been great fun watching the whole thing grow.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I have the splintered light Indy, he is really nice.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Where is he on their site? Scratching head…

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Those guards look sharp, even if the heroes are just a tad nicer!

I can see why some people feel they need a package, it’s convenient to get all your shopping done in one place in a manner of speaking. Personally I’m happy enough if there are a good selection of coherent choices within a certain faction/force of minis, wether rules are available from the same company is not something that’s too important to me.

I just can’t help but tinker with rules anywho, so finding something that fits is easier if you shop around IMHO.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Can’t see it either. Rebel Minis do one.

http://www.rebelminis.com/15puad2.html

Etranger
    Participant

Can’t see it either. Rebel Minis do one. http://www.rebelminis.com/15puad2.html

Splintered Light sold their Pulp figures to Rebel – it’s the same (rather splendid) figure. Must dig mine out.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

It is from Rebel minis.  I’m sorry.  I didn’t check my sources.  The dog ate my homework, I’m in the airport, my kids were bothering me for gum ackkkkkk.

sorry.

How about those me Crom’s Anvil miniatures.  Those new guards look great!

jagannath
    Participant

Stoked on those guards – really looking forward to those.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Not to worry, Ben. Hope you’re home safe!

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

5 day trip to the coast.  Lots of fun!  Hopefully some time for Crom!

Working on Erland, the rings over the leather is proving tedious…

Not sure what colour to do his waist sash thingy… ?

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

Since Erland is in pretty muted tones so far I’d tend to go for a bright blue, bright green or a yellow sash.

Surely rings over leather is a case of paint it brown, light dry-brush of gunmetal or silver and Robert is your mother’s brother?

Nice figure and good paint job, so far, good stuff.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Surely rings over leather is a case of paint it brown, light dry-brush of gunmetal or silver and Robert is your mother’s brother?

Did that but it left the odd stray paint bit, so it was the going back and tidying up.
    Plus dry-brushing does not get the sides of the rings, just the tops, and then there was the re-doing of the brown bits in the holes where the paint slipped in..

accck

I am not sure if something bright or stay muted and earthy.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I’d vote for a bright colour: he needs some “pop,” methinks, though this is heightened by his not being finished yet. I’m sure whichever you choose he will turn out well – you are a talented brushman!

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I’m thinking a deep red.  Maybe the pants could be a deeper brown so the red stands out?

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I’d vote for a bright colour: he needs some “pop,” methinks, though this is heightened by his not being finished yet. I’m sure whichever you choose he will turn out well – you are a talented brushman!

I agree about the need for “pop”, a bright red or blue would do the trick I think.

I have seen this term a lot but never really understood what it means.
    I think to make something pop is to add a bright colour that makes the model stand out?

I have seen it used on red tanks and so on, but does adding something bright make it better or just brighter?
    Would a red flak vest on a desert trooper make it pop or would it make it look daft?

Genuine question about something I don’t quite get.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

As far as I’ve understood it (and I might have misunderstod how others use the term) you are correct in your initial assumption, adding a brighter color that complements the other colors to make the mini stand out a bit more.

Whether it makes it better or not depends on the situation, on a fantastical hero like Erland it makes him stand out which is rather the point of larger-than-life characters IMHO. More than a few painters use it to draw attention to details that would have otherwise been easy to overlook in a more drab/muted color.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Erland of the purple sash.

😀

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I was always told that you have to paint smaller miniatures brighter because they stand out more.  The blog called Painting Agency does that really well.

i don’t think you want to go to crazy, after all I can’t see Conan coordinating his outfits with a handbag all that much.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by OldBen1OldBen1.
    Gone Fishing
    Participant

Alexander and Ben have summed things up well, I think. There is also the fact that a flashy bit or two on Erlend just feels right to me: remember that historically barbarians of all types have gone in for that sort of thing, whether Gauls, Zulus, Maasai, Somalis. At least a bit of flash was something much sought after; made one stand out and all that.

But then, do what you want. He’s your figure, after all, and will look great either way!

jagannath
    Participant

Late to the painting party here, but here’s my take on ‘pop’:

Really, it’s all about ‘read’ at small scales – can the eye differentiate between the different sections and parts of a model.

Bright colours help to do this easily, so that’s what it’s about is my feeling. Which is why I like to use that red/terracotta colour instead of true earth tones.

I’d have gone turquoise on eel and btw, but then I do use too much turquoise!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I will try and get a nicer photo tomorrow. It is better in RL

Gone Fishing
    Participant

He looks great. Will we be seeing Eydiss soon?

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Purple works well!  He looks pissed off!  Great miniature.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

He looks great. Will we be seeing Eydiss soon?

Started on her. But am also painting one of each of the others for Brigade Models to take to trade shows for me.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Is it just me, or since reaching 1000 replies has this topic’s last post link thing stopped working?

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

That purple sash looks great, and Oldben is right, he does look suitably pissed off!

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Is it just me, or since reaching 1000 replies has this topic’s last post link thing stopped working?

Nope, it aint just you!

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Not working for me either – time for a new thread methinks

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I will try to fix it first..

Test, just prior to this post the last updated link has been working.
    This is a test to see if a new reply negates the fix.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 1,928 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.