Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,928 total)
  • Author
    telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

I must say Mike’s painting, and his photography, are most excellent. When I received my sets I thought, these can’t be right. Mike’s are so big, so detailed, so… um… they are 15mm. Had to get out my magnifiers and stronger light. sigh. Eyesight just isn’t what is was. They are lovely miniatures.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

You are very kind, I think I have realised that I need to change my painting style.
    In the flesh with human eyes in normal light you can see the more subtle tones if you hold them close and they actually look neat   😀

The camera makes the image so large you can see the flaws and it does not pick up the subtle differences in tone, so they look a bit flat.
    I really like the look of them in RL but they do not look as good on camera, and seeing as more people see them online than in RL, I think I need to address how they appear online…

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I think you’re being too hard on yourself, Mike. The camera can be brutal to minis, no question. Several times I’ve seen minis (my own work and others’) that look just splendid in hand, but in the photos they look a little patchy. Strange. But then, I think most of us have seen photos of our own selves and had that awful moment of, “God, do I really look like that?!”, so maybe it’s not so surprising.

Your figures and terrain are little works of art. I can’t imagine how good they must look in person.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

15mm miniature painting has gotten pretty amazing in the last 5 years.  I am incredibly impressed by all the painters out there.

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Working on a 2 storey dwelling, with a balcony for shooting/leaping from.

cmnashcmnash
    Participant

Looks good, but the first floor appears to be significantly taller than the ground floor … is that deliberate? or perhaps caused by the camera angle?

MikeMike
    Keymaster

is that deliberate?

Tis intentional, drawing slightly from history, slaves, servants, goods and so on would be on the stuffier smellier ground floor, and the wealthier home owners would dwell upstairs where it was less smelly and airier.
    Hence them getting a loftier breezier taller floor.

😀

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

but the first floor appears to be significantly taller than the ground floor

No no, tis the SECOND floor that is taller… 😉  (this little difference in description between the dwellers of the continents has bedeviled me before at my architecture job and during college.  I almost bombed a test because i thought a building by Le Corbusier only had 2 floors instead of 3!)

drawing slightly from history

I like this very much, really appeals to the history buff in me.  I wonder if those whom are uninitiated into those dark traditions and tome of knowledge get it or think the building looks weird?  Probably doesn’t matter and I am just a’ wondering about a fly on a breeze…  I love that it gives variation and will look different within the town!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I wish I had your foamcore skills.  I was making some simple Japanese houses, uggghhh.  Superugly.

I like the building, it has a cool shape.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Oooh not foamcore. That is the devil’s work. I use 2mm expanded pvc sheets.

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Other than the paper sandwiching the foam what is the difference between foamcore and expanded pvc?

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Expanded pvc is closer to plasticard than foamcore. It is the same material throughout. It is the weird offspring off plasticard and regular cardboard.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Expanded pvc is closer to plasticard

Can you use a solvent adhesive as you can with plasticard?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Hold on……

MikeMike
    Keymaster

no.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Thank you, not the answer I had hoped for… (But the answer I had expected!)

I know it will stick with superglue, but so will I, and thereby hangs a tale (or three…)

I like this very much, really appeals to the history buff in me. I wonder if those whom are uninitiated into those dark traditions and tome of knowledge get it or think the building looks weird?

Don’t get me wrong, I have no idea if they did build taller FIRST floors  😀 or not, but it seems a good idea given that most living was on the first floor or the actual roof where it was less stuffy.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Huzzah, my stuff came today!! Thanks. Mike.

Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I have no idea if they did build taller FIRST floors  or not, but it seems a good idea given that most living was on the first floor or the actual roof where it was less stuffy.

Maybe not taller, but there were definitely societies that built the upper floors for the owners, and the servants lived on the lower.  Easy to call it a design style for the era.

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Foamcore does really suck!

I can’t believe how fast you pump buildings out!

I can’t believe how fast you pump buildings out!

I am slow as anything.
    If I did not have other things to do, I could probably (mojo not withstanding) do 3 or 4  a week.

So we have the Simurgh guard as shown earlier to come, Erland and Eydis to come and these chaps.

More Tribal Utuseb types so you don’t need to shop elsewhere    😉

2 axe, 1 spear and a bow.
    The melee guys have separate shields (so separate the sculptor forgot to post it, so can’t show you that just yet) but here are the 4 new greens.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Those tribesmen look absolutely amazing. If I were to do this project in 15mm I think your store would cover just about everything. Oh, with some killer apes from Blue Moon or Khurasan, some Men of the East from Splintered Light, skellies from Khurasan…

Participant

Nice!  They look like a bunch of guys with low-cunning.  Better watch our backs as we tromp through the wastes!

jagannath
    Participant

Buzzing- they look great!

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

They do look wonderful. Any chance of some ladies to go with them next time?

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I was thinking of doing a Tribal King, then thought nah, why not have the Leader of all the Tribes be a Tribal Queen.

Bad ass warrior with stats to give Erland a run for his money.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

She who must be obeyed…

I look forward to making her acquaintance…

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Those look great, could be used as orcs as well!

Bit of a delay getting this sorted, but should be in the mould tomorrow with a test cast Friday and on sale next week.

Participant

You move quite swiftly!

Etranger
    Participant

I was thinking of doing a Tribal King, then thought nah, why not have the Leader of all the Tribes be a Tribal Queen.

Bad ass warrior with stats to give Erland a run for his money.

The Queen of Sheba? Possibly not jungly enough.

jagannath
    Participant

Stoked – I keep putting off my next order, waiting for new releases! A medium house with the new upper-floor addition, this house and the original taller house ‘tower’ gives I nice varied set of levels for jumping around on.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Going to make another 2 storey one in a few days…

Stoked – I keep putting off my next order, waiting for new releases!

Don’t do that or I won’t have the funds to buy some more silicone to mould this once it is finished…

😉

KevinEKevinE
    Participant

I like the new buildings, especially the second one with the stairs. 

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Thanks, just adding the texture now, and e-mailing some bloke about damage from falling!

🙂

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Now you’re just showing off!

I love the front stairway, and the new exposed timber style.

I love the front stairway, and the new exposed timber style.

Thanks!
    I think it gives more feature to the buildings, before they were very easy and quick to paint, and this extra wooden detail will mean they take longer to do, but I think the extra character will be worth it.
    When I saw the walls come out of the mould I was pretty convinced it looked nice.
    Plus, and this for me is a big plus, not having the beams sticking out like on the previous buildings makes them a LOT easier to cast.

Just done a test cast of the first one, it is a bit of a brute and is on a comparison with the Large House and Small Shrine in terms of resin, so these bigger buildings are likely to be the same price point.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 1,928 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.