Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

This topic contains 1,742 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by Rhoderic Rhoderic 4 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,743 total)
  • Author

greg954
    Participant

I’m a Wizard mind you.

Sounds more intriguing for some reason.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I hope you’ll eventually include them both, but if I had to choose one for now, then Subotai (or a proxy thereof). Mainly because you have 3-4 sorcerer types already, whereas a thief-and-archer type hero would add more variety to the range.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Do we have to pick just one?  Because I like the sound of both…  

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

greg954
    Participant

Are you still going to do a Crom funder soon? If so are you going to do those bad guy Saracen type dudes?

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

So, yeah sorry about that.
    The bad guy Saracen types are still being sculpted, they were due a while back.
    But once I have them here, I will make the campsite that will be an exclusive CromFunder item and then set it up on the site.

£150.00 needed to pay for the moulds and the spins/casts to fulfil the ‘pledges’.
    (The sculpting costs of the actual figures have already been covered)

The mercs will be a pack of 5 or 10 (bit cheaper for the 10) as one ‘pledge’   £3.00 and £5.50 respectively plus shipping.
    The mercs and the campsite will be the other ‘pledge’ £TBC, won’t know until I cast the first sample of the campsite.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ages ago I had what seemed like a good idea.
    I finally finished the first part of the idea and am now stuck for the second part.

So the idea was to make a circle of stones/rocks and have an interchangeable centre piece.
    Here is where I am so far, but am now failing to remember what the ideas I had for the centre pieces were…

Ideas?

As you can see, the centre bit is designed to allow you to add perfectly fitting custom bits yourself..

greg954
    Participant

Um, I’ll throw some wild ideas around, something symbolic perhaps. A sacred pool, a tree of life, a stone alter, a statue of some god.

Or maybe something more grizzly. An executioner’s circle. Or some sort of shrine for a blood sacrifice. How would they do it in the south?

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Yoggite fire pit.

Lost Egg
    Participant

At the moment all I can see is an open maw and writhing tentacles…not very helpful, sorry

Private Snafu
    Private Snafu
    Participant

Water elemental.

Lost Egg
    Participant

Someone being toasted on a spit…a captured demon…

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Swarm of tendrils/tentacles from some unholy beast worshipped by crazed cultists? Lost egg has the right of it 🙂

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Well of Lost Souls/Bottomless Pit…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

That’s cool!  Lots of cool ideas, altars, burrow, wizards tower etc.  What about that horrible crucifixion scene in Conan?  That might be cool as well.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Ta, have started on some circle bits.

Do these work as paving tiles/cobbles/bricks?

cmnash
    cmnash
    Participant

That looks pretty good to me.  Maybe you should make the ends so that you can put two of them together to make a longer one?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

This is just a texture test, the first thing I will make is a big piece to fit in here I think:

Then maybe a sort of market square with a fountain or summat..

Would people be interested in roads/streets?
    I would make the edges a bit nicer of course.

greg954
    Participant

Would people be interested in roads/streets? I would make the edges a bit nicer of course.

Yes I would. I’ve been looking for manufacturers that have been doing this sort of thing and so far haven’t had much luck. I’m looking to make a flagstone/cobbled floor. Not just streets, roads or a plaza, but also something that’ll double up for a Dungeon floor too.

Do these work as paving tiles/cobbles/bricks?

Yes, looks quite effective from what I can see.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

This is probably a stupid question and not as constructive as I mean it to be, but could they be made from something thinner and flexier that lies flat and still takes paint well? When it comes to roads, I generally stay away from resin pieces as I find them too thick, and the rigidity can be a problem as well.

That said, a courtyard floor made from resin would be fine, as long as it’s enclosed on all sides by walls.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I did make my 6mm HexWay roads from flexible resin, but I found that thin items had a tendency not to cure well.
    I experimented a bit, casting thicker sections and they cured ok, but due to the thickness they needed to be to cure properly, they were not that flexible.
    Other people have made thin flexible roads, just not sure what material they used and I am not in a situation to buy various materials until I find a winner.

Sorry dude.  🙁

Geof Downton
    Geof Downton
    Participant

Cobbled roads would be brilliant.  Rhoderic makes a good point about thickness, but if there’s a hint of a Roman camber, and (one side of) a drainage ditch/gutter at the edge they ought to look OK, ‘though they may have problems on hills.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I like the plastic sheets you can buy from railroad stores.  The have a lot of detail and take paint well.  I like the courtyard idea.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I did think about using them, but with the ones I found the engraved areas were not deep enough.
    They seemed a bit too flat, does that make sense?

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I did think about using them, but with the ones I found the engraved areas were not deep enough. They seemed a bit too flat, does that make sense?

I only have experience of Slater’s Plastikard (which seems to be the most common brand), but yeah, I know what you mean. Some, especially smaller-scale ones, are fine, but others do have that flat and shallow look for sure.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I think that piece you showed would make a good cobbled road or square if the edges slope a bit 🙂

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Until now, all my moulds have been dead simple single part drop moulds.
    These are a doddle to make and use, and are fine for buildings.

However I am exploring the option of more intricate pieces and maybe even larger figures in resin (beasts mostly) and have had a go at making a 2 part mould.
    It takes longer and is trickier, however today I removed the mould box and it seems to have been a success.
    I appear to be able to make 2 part moulds! (yeah ok so can everyone else in the business but it is good news for me)
    This means I can try things like big resin snakes/worms and trickier/more intricate terrain pieces etc.

However like a fool, rather than make a test mould of something sensible, I made it of a 15mm figure, which is daft.
    Not many people make 15mm resin figures as it is fiddly and a PITA.

So here is the mould, which seems to have come out ok:

Here is a figure from it, which has problems, though to be fair it would, however this tells me that the process works and with a bit of practice I will be able to get nice stuff coming out of 2 part moulds.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Well done! I for one am certainly interested in the process and what it means for future Crom’s Anvil releases. Resin beasts would be nice.

Lost Egg
    Participant

Congrats. I’ve never cast anything more complicated than a few bases so you are doing well.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Any interest in a tower like this?

This is just a rough cardboard mock up of the basic shape.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Something like this for the pit?

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I really like the tower, wait what’s that stuff in the background?

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Certainly not a test cast of a forge that certainly won’t be part of a set with a big blacksmith and his anvil.
    And that blacksmith certainly will not be called Crom Ogun.
    Therefore the anvil will certainly not be Crom’s Anvil.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

What else might you put in the center of the stone circle?  So many ideas…

That tower looks pretty shnazzy!  Could almost be a residence, or perhaps the lab for a wizard.

I like that forge as well, regardless of whomever mans it!  Will there also be a grinding wheel?  😉

Say, will there be an alternative temple for the downtrodden to supplicate should they not be in tune with dear Apis?

greg954
    Participant

Lovely, I see great plans are afoot. That tower reminds me of some sort of watch tower, something Military anyway. Definitely lots of possible uses.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Say, will there be an alternative temple for the downtrodden to supplicate should they not be in tune with dear Apis?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

….maybe something rounded?  Maybe the priests are very fond of scaled critters?  Or perhaps flesh eating insects…

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I love it!  I didn’t actually see anything, but thanks for the intel.  I’m going to add “what’s that I see on your workbench” to my thread signature.

i have to tidy my own workbench because my wife often notices things too!

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Sneak peak of Crom Ogun:

Sneak Peak of one of the mercs:

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Upon reflection, I have asked the sculptor to remove the pocket on the apron.
    Or I will remove it myself when it arrives.
    I think it will look better without.

Private Snafu
    Private Snafu
    Participant

I know its fantasy but that’s a 2 handed hammer.  A smith would typically have a one handed hammer with the other used to hold thongs.  Perhaps he has some thralls holding the piece of work and he needs the large hammer to forge it.  I think of that hammer as the one he wields when the Picts invade, not so much smithing with.

These 2 are your finest figures to date.  Great show!  I’m seeing a whole range out of the spearman.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,743 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.