Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Crom’s Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,391 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Polyfill is the greatest modeling compound ever.  Mike I really like your new terrain.  It reminds me of the Citadel larger terrain villages and graveyards.  I think you’ve created a really cool range.

I said I needed some ‘festive snowflakes’ for the site, Ekwensu added these!

https://cromsanvil.co.uk/home.html

Participant

Now that’s awesome!

Participant

lol

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Cheers!

Just getting some tribesmen of Utuseb painted ready for the next instalment of the Chronicles of Crom’s Anvil…

A group of archers, P2, W1, V2.
    And 2 groups of warriors, P2, W1, V2.

Data cards are available on the site.

Participant

They look very good, sir.  And I love the falling skulls!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

So after deciding I should make a model for my self, rather than for the website I settled on an Inn.
    It would be practical and get used more than once.
    But there was a niggling feeling, whilst the sensible choice it seemed a bit dull somehow.
    Then last night inspiration hit me, it was dull as I was thinking of a typical compound style historical type Inn.
    Don’t do that, go all fantasy on it.

So I hit upon the idea of a sort of octagonal 2 storey building with a courtyard / well in the centre.
    The rooms are the walls so to speak and I can add balconies, awnings, crud on the roof, lots of stuff to add flavour.

Here is a very crude early sketch of my rough idea.

Participant

That looks superb. Can’t wait to see the finished item.

I can imagine the courtyard having a wooden floor that can be lifted to reveal a fighting pit for the weekend entertainment.

Participant

Very novel idea, I like it!

News on the Front Page!

Still waiting to hear from a couple of customers in the USA about the shipping on their Crom Funders.

If I don’t hear soonish, I will do a refund and offer the items to people that missed out.
    Please do check your e-mails.

Started work on the Inn.
    First up, from the ground floor plan are the seven interior wall sections with doors.

Participant

Nice to see it get underway.

What’s the overall width of the piece?

18cm ish

Participant

Nice and compact. Got to love 15mm!

I did worry it would be too small, but if you lie a figure down in a room, it is plenty big enough for a bed and a chest and a simple table.

Starting to get complicated now…

Participant

You need some signs for the construction site. Wouldn’t want to get the Simurgh council on your back.

You need some signs for the construction site. Wouldn’t want to get the Simurgh council on your back.

Done some more, the bare bones of the ground floor are close to being mostly done…

Participant

Probably a bit too late for this, but did you think about making the segments the same dimensions, ie modular? That would make construction & presumably casting a lot easier.

It’s not  being cast this one, just for me.
    So less rush, no pressure and more show stopper-ness once complete.

😀

Fantasy human civilians.

Right now apart from a few figures I have no real fantasy civilians on my site, by that I mean people that just get in the way and block LOS.
    NPC types.

I am using historical middle eastern style figures for my civilians, and that is ok… but I am wanting something a bit more, well fantastic, or at least less plain and simple.
    Maybe more dangly stuff, madder hats, maybe try and find a sort of fashion style and theme around that, after all, Simurgh is getting richer.

I am trying to decide if I should invest in making some desert fantasy villager types, the problem is I have been looking online for images of examples of what seems right but I can’t find any.
    Maybe normal plain simple robes is all that people want?

Participant

Personally I would prefer something a little fantastical.  Have you considered using the works of the great children’s book illustrators, such as Kay Nielsen, Virginia Frances Sterrett and Edmund Dulac, for inspiration? They all did illustrations of the Arabian Nights and so provide fantasy versions of middle eastern-style clothing.

Kay Nielsen: http://www.nocloo.com/kay-nielsen-arabian-nights/

Virginia Frances Sterrett: https://www.nocloo.com/virginia-frances-sterrett-arabian-nights-1928/

Edmund Dulac:https://www.nocloo.com/?s=edmund%20dulac

Participant

I would think you’d want a mix of the wealthy, the “middle class”, and the street urchins. The lower the status the simpler the clothing.  But then you also have to ask if Simurgh is a crossroads where people from different cultures pass through (thus bringing their fashion sense with them) or if it’s more of a monocultural kind of place?

One place you can look for different fashions types would be the Star Wars movies, especially Ep.1 -4.  In those movies there are a lot of scenes on different planets, some of which are desertish, and much of the clothing of the more wealthy people seems to have a bit of fantasy edge to it (rather than “future-utilitarian”)

Participant

Fantasy human civilians. Right now apart from a few figures I have no real fantasy civilians on my site, by that I mean people that just get in the way and block LOS. NPC types. I am using historical middle eastern style figures for my civilians, and that is ok… but I am wanting something a bit more, well fantastic, or at least less plain and simple. Maybe more dangly stuff, madder hats, maybe try and find a sort of fashion style and theme around that, after all, Simurgh is getting richer. I am trying to decide if I should invest in making some desert fantasy villager types, the problem is I have been looking online for images of examples of what seems right but I can’t find any. Maybe normal plain simple robes is all that people want?

I also use the basic  historical figures too (for sci-fi as much as fantasy) but scrounge around for characterful ‘civilians’ wherever I can find them.A few ‘ladies of negotiable affection’, dancers, merchants etc would be nice , think 1,001 Nights.  The lower two of the General’s illustrations look more in keeping with an Mughal/Indonesian/Thai background than ME to me, but that’s a valid area for inspiration too.

Sons of the Sultan of the Indies in the street with scimitars. From the painting A Tale of a 1001 Nights (1873) by Gustave Clarence Rodolphe Boulanger.

Six color plates from Arabian Nights

Hmm – looks a bit like Simurgh?

from--a thousand and one nights Arabian Nights Book, Arabian Nights Stories,

Participant

Forget all that.

What you really really need are some T’ang era Chinese Silk Road merchants. The merchants, their servants, wives, kids are EXACTLY what you need. Exotic, colourful, different, they can also be used for some of the larger cities on the Silk Road Samarkhand, Bokhara or Ferghana provide locations.

Trust me on this.

Besides I need some Chinese civilians. No one makes any in 15-18mm except Blue Moon some but they are quite large and are they look to Qing 🙁

ooooh

Participant

Arrr, by Crom!

Participant

Is it worth waiting for the Tribal Queen before I place my order for Crom and his workplace (and a few other bits and bobs, no doubt!)

heck no, order all the stuff now!!

😀

I am guessing end of Jan at the earliest for the queen, could even be Feb..

Participant

I suppose I could make another order later…

So, in the pipeline:

More stuff for Utuseb.

We have a 5 part model, the Sacrificial Pit. Comes with metal steps and skulls on spikes, the resin rocky walls and the brick walls inside. The brick wall part is separate as this means you can take it out and pop in something else instead.
    And cos I am nice, I made it the size of a 2p piece so you can make your own interiors and just swap them about.

If you have no 2p pieces, ask me nicely when you place the order and I will pop some in with the model.

Then we have the Tribal Queen.
    She is in charge of Utuseb and the other villages under her rule.

And we have some slaves.
    These are not the finished models, I have a load of bald and naked ones that I will add green stuff detailing to, that way they will all be slightly different.
    There will be 5 male and 5 female, you can buy a single male or a single female (supplied at random) for the normal price of 75p, or you will be able to buy a pack of the 10 for £5.00.

These slaves look small.
    This was as I wanted them to be civilians and thus not big bulky strong warrior looking types, and also, (this bit is quite telling) they are 15mm tall.

Participant

That is a great piece.

I need to think of things I can mount on a 2p piece now.

Participant

Lovely new accessory, AB, and it’s always fun seeing new figures in the pipeline. I’ll look forward to seeing how the slaves turn out! They look suitably crestfallen.

How is your inn coming along?

The inn has stalled, back to homeschooling and general house keeping and day to day of TWW and CA has left no time for personal projects.

🙁

Question around bits n bobs.

I am making a selection of doors and windows and shutters so that people can add them to their own basic boxes and turn them into dwellings.

Along those lines is there any interest in a pack of wall mounted torches and skulls on poles, and free standing torches etc?

Participant

Standard window frames and shutters and doors are a great thing to have!  Wall mounted torches and sconces, yes!  Skulls on spears… I honestly wouldn’t use them much, but I can see them being very useful for tribal village decoration, boundary marking, warning markers, etc.  A separate pack of 6 or 8 might be a good seller.

Participant

And If you have no 2p pieces, ask me nicely when you place the order and I will pop some in with the model.

Oh, if I order one can I have a £2 pound coin with it instead? 

Will have to have a good think. I defo have some good uses for it. Just don’t know what.

Oh, if I order one can I have a £2 pound coin with it instead?

A slavers cart of 10 slaves heads off across The Burning Sands to the casters ready for moulding.

Will your heroes help them, or their owners?

Participant

Are they cheaper to care for, and do they talk back less than camels?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.