Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,010 total)
  • Author
    Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Cool.
    It is defo for putting on a tabletop as scenery and not meant as a floorplan.
    To be honest I was thinking more as decoration, or…

Maybe have it sat at the docks and Erland comes running through the streets, chased by the town guard and he leaps onto the ship just as it casts off.

Maybe it is anchored just off the beach of some long forgotten island and is attacked by tribes as they swim out.

Maybe it is becalmed and a sea creature attacks and the crew must fight off the giant tentacles.

Maybe….

Now to work out what bits I can cast in resin, and what bits need to be metal.

Happy Crommas!!

Thanks to everyone that supported me the last year.
    It was a difficult year, not only with health worries but also having to home school Charlotte, which took up the majority of my energy.
    Having said that I still managed to get some cool new products out and 2020 will see the start of the Southern Oceans range.
    I have even broken my 10 years of not drinking to get into the spirit of the new range by buying this.

Praise be to Apis!!

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Have a merry Crommas

Any particular mixer you use?

Or does Erland drink it straight?

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

It was a great year, I enjoyed watching your miniature company grow.

I put a little spiced rum in my burgers.

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Ahh, liquid inspiration, my favourite kind!

I wouldn’t worry about those ten years, I hear it’s like riding a bike

And a happy Crommas to you to!

Stroezie.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Wouter WolputWouter Wolput
    Participant

I haven’t had a glass of alcohol in years and even then I don’t think I ever had any rum.

It’s strange, if you tell people that you don’t drink any alcohol they almost automatically assume you were an alcoholic in the past or that you’re taking medication.

Anyway, enjoy! Happy Crom-mass

It’s been a great year with a lot of new releases. Hopefully I’ll be able to get an order in for some more terrain next year. 

Straight!
    Thanks.

Some crude WIP experiments of the ship Erland will be on when he explores the Southern Oceans.

Still unsure on the mast/sail combo.
    If I do this, then it will make moving around on the deck of the ship a lot easier, which has to be a bonus.

But this seems to look better?
    Or does it look too modern?

The rails and hatch and the rudder will be separate laser cut items which I was going to do in metal.
    Metal would look a bit nicer but will add quite a bit more to the cost.
    The metal steps are from the summoning pit, so they will be handy to use here.

Still making it up as I go though, so it could all change!

Thomaston
    Participant

Maybe a ramprow? I like the wooden decking and sides.

Tired is enough.

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

It’s a great looking boat

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Or does it look too modern?

Depends what you call modern – lateen rigged ships were in the Mediterranean Sea from the second century b.c.e.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Looks great, though I’m not a big fan of the sail. I love to see a galley 😁.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Just a possibility: maybe make little indentations or alternatively little “bumps” (like how some people model rivets, using tiny drops of PVA glue applied with a toothpick or needle) along the length of the planks, to better emulate the appearance of either a mortise and tenon joint hull or a sewn/lashed hull. It should make the boat look more archaic, which I imagine is the look you’re wanting to go for. Otherwise, as you clearly haven’t gone for a clinkered hull, there might be a risk that the boat will look carvelled, which might be too “high-tech” for you. I know you don’t like crossbows in your Hyborian Age headcanon for similar reasons. A world, modelled after real history, that hasn’t advanced to crossbows presumably hasn’t advanced to carvelling, either.

Chris StoesenChris Stoesen
    Participant

I think for the lantern sail, look at extending the yard longer on top.  Look up images of a show.  That should be similar to what you are looking to do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dhow&oq=dhow&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.2724j0j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=0Bs_JCpWMXr1EM:

Chris Stoesen
    https://payhip.com/ChrisStoesen
    https://cstoesen.blogspot.com

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

As we’re talking about dhows, a cool prow decoration like that on a Maldivian dhoni (which is related to the dhow) could reinforce the impression of an exotic “pre-early modern age” vessel.

Returning to what I’ve been saying about hulls, it seems dhows were historically built by sewing/lashing the hull together. Modern dhows seem to be made with mortise-and-tenon joints (judging by the telltale “pegs” all along the hulls), but that ship-building technique has existed in the Mediterranean since ancient times, so it’s reasonable enough for dhow-using cultures in a fantasy setting to have adopted it earlier. Anything but carvelling, is what I’m saying.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by RhodericRhoderic.
    Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks properly boaty to me.  The double mast looks cool, but I’m having a hard time figuring how it would work functionally with the yard not being able to pivot cleanly.

Perhaps a bowsprite?  Like:

roman

Or this sort of Dhow sail pattern?  From https://premiershipmodels.us/product/shu-ai-dhow-model-boat/

dhow

Has that sail/galley look.

Or, you could come up with a completely different and novel sail plan to suit your desires.  It’s fantasy after all!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

As we’re talking about dhows, a cool prow decoration like that on a Maldivian dhoni (which is related to the dhow) could reinforce the impression of an exotic “pre-early modern age” vessel.

I was looking at stuff like that   😀

Or, you could come up with a completely different and novel sail plan to suit your desires. It’s fantasy after all!

That is my M.O.  !   😀

Pointy sale it is!

Southern Oceans.

I have ordered some lasercut samples for the ship to see how they look.
    I have commissioned a new Erland figure, and reached out about Winged Apemen.
    I am looking now for inspiration around sailors, what sort of vibe?
    My initial thoughts are of a sort of Sinbad look?

Gone Fishing
    Participant

My initial thoughts are of a sort of Sinbad look?

Yep, this was my first thought as well.

Excited to see the new figures! Are you able to say what twist the new Erlend figure will take?

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Sindbad style would be great. IMHO they would come closest to the original vibe. Also fitting may be a Malayan sailor style (Sandokan anyone?).
    And a sprinkle of Madagaskarian, Polynesian and Melanesians.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Are you able to say what twist the new Erlend figure will take?

Yes.

So the plan is radical?

He will be naked in a sort of superhero pose.
    The idea being that if you want a naked Erland, you have one.
    If not, most gamers should be able to greenstuff a loincloth over his bits.
    I have asked the hands be in fists, but with the thumbs on the side, that way it should be fairly easy to add weapons of your choice to his hands.

The plans I have for my naked conversions are:

Just naked with a dagger in his hand, he has just jumped off the ship and swam ashore and is mighty pissed his loot has been sunk.
    The same but with a loin cloth and maybe a spear/shield (could be a celtic version maybe covered in warpaint?)

I figured with his arms being downish:

I could even do a Hercules style one and have him chained to the floor, or maybe broken free with the chains still hanging and ready for swinging?

Plenty of options really, and as the limbs are not touching anything else, arm swaps and so on could be simple to do.
    Gladiator Erland?

SteelonsandSteelonsand
    Participant

Hmm – escaping prisoner / gladiator swinging chain sounds good – sort of this fellow from Ral Partha Europe, but better:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/fantasy-15mm-singles-c-195/human-kingdoms-c-195_172/di118c-chained-prisoner-2-p-3777.html

Left to right, Erland, Copplestone Barbarian, and Chained Prisoner :

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Wow, you set that up especially?

SteelonsandSteelonsand
    Participant

Of course ! – weeeellllll,  😉 ….. no, not really – I did a few pics of various figure comparisons next to your own little masterpieces a while back, thinking to do a post, but real life got in the way, so only remembered when you mentioned Naked Barbarians….. I mean the possibility of a figure in chains …..

Participant

Sounds like there are excited times ahead.

Love the idea of a naked Erland (no, it’s not like it sounds), it reminds me of these dollies in various poses you could sculpt on. I had a few of those in 54mm to practice on. Naked models could also be great if I ever wanted to start a superhero project in 15mm (mmm, tempting), so I’m hoping it won’t be just Erland who gets the treatment.

Chained up prisoners sound like a great addition, I’d love to do a  prison escape in Burning Sands.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Love the idea of a naked Erland (no, it’s not like it sounds)…

I’d love to do a  prison escape in Burning Sands.

Whereas I was thinking of a naked Erland escaping from the Hatun Yasmina’s wardrobe when her husband comes home…

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Love the idea of a naked Erland (no, it’s not like it sounds)… I’d love to do a prison escape in Burning Sands.

Whereas I was thinking of a naked Erland escaping from the Hatun Yasmina’s wardrobe when her husband comes home…

😂

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Would Erland get involved with a married woman, would he hide it if he did, who is the mystery husband?

Tune in next week for more ‘Burning Desires’…

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

What about adventure packs?  You can change the way Erland looks based on the scenario.

The High Seas:   Erland, 2 slaves, slave master, ship captain

Dark Alleys:  Erland , thief, peddler, market goods

The Forbidden Desert: Erland, Eastern Guards, wolves, Cursed idol

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I’d like to convert myself one or several pit fighters from a naked Erland figure. Mike already did mention gladiator conversions but I see pit fighters as being different from that (less Roman, more barbaric, like in Conan the Barbarian).

I also have an idea for a conversion that has him (whoever he is, as he wouldn’t be Erland in my games) wearing some sort of elaborate headgear (maybe stag’s horns, or the head and pelt of a large predatory animal, or a religious-style mask like those worn by the Sons of the Harpy in GoT) but remaining otherwise naked. I’d paint warpaint or mystical symbols all over his skin. He would be either a berserker type or participating in some sort of tribal/cultish ritual. Maybe he’s been cursed and the ritual is to cleanse him, or maybe he’s being coerced into the ritual by a wicked cult that has taken hostages. Maybe the ritual requires him to fight his way through ghoul-infested ruins, caves or something such to a sacred site. There’s an idea for a scenario.

Small update.

Changed the year on the wiki. no longer the year of the Hyena.
    Added the 2 new models to the cards on the rules page.

I have been pondering and have decided this mast is too thick, so I have ordered some thinner dowl.

oh and the laser cut hatch, rudder and railing samples have arrived.
    Though I may re-visit the rudder, it is too plain.

Revised the rudder and will get new samples sent soon.

Less plain and flat now.

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Looking good

Participant

Coming along nicely.

Revised thinner mast for the ship.

Now to figure the rest out and then get ready for casting…

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I’ve been wondering, what’s the second layer of planks along the prow? Ramming reinforcement?

I’ve been wondering, what’s the second layer of planks along the prow? Ramming reinforcement?

Apparently.
    I am not convinced it is going to make much difference, but the captain insisted, and I for one am not going to argue with ’em.

Participant

Thinner mast does work a lot better!

Participant

I have to agree with the previous comments: ship looks great with the thinner mast.

Maybe you could do an optional ramming construction, like you see on some ships.

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

A sailing ship with a ram is a suicide vessel. It can’t reverse like an oar or steam powered one and, sooner rather than later, it will wind up stuck and going down with it’s victim.

Since Erland isn’t a fool, clearly the reinforcement is so the ship can beach prow on, to take on or offload smuggled goods in secluded beaches well away from the prying eyes of the revenue men 🙂

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,010 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.