Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Crom's Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,010 total)
  • Author
    MikeMike
    Keymaster

Since Erland isn’t a fool,

I am even wondering if Erland is the captain…

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

Since Erland isn’t a fool,

I assumed he was fixer/ head of security for the smuggler and ensuring successful delivery of the items entrusted into his care by securing a boat (and captain?) well suited to the endeavour!

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

A sailing ship with a ram is a suicide vessel. It can’t reverse like an oar or steam powered one and, sooner rather than later, it will wind up stuck and going down with it’s victim.

I believe this was also to have galley oars, IIRC?  But still, in total agreemenet with you.

I’m hoping this is a hint that you’ll be working on a scalawag crew soon!  If not, maybe you should consider…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

greg954
    Participant

I’ve missed loads. Now I have a desire to make a ship.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I’ve missed loads. Now I have a desire to make a ship.

Ahhhhh wait and buy this one?!

😛

greg954
    Participant

Okay, you talked me into it, I might have to have two. As it happens I got a hand made ship model from eBay for a couple of quid that was for repair. Just the right size for 15mm. So yeah…..I’m starting yet another project.

Well, you can never have enough projects on the go!

PS, I do like it when most of the hard work is done for me.

Wouter WolputWouter Wolput
    Participant

A sailing ship with a ram is a suicide vessel. It can’t reverse like an oar or steam powered one and, sooner rather than later, it will wind up stuck and going down with it’s victim. Since Erland isn’t a fool, clearly the reinforcement is so the ship can beach prow on, to take on or offload smuggled goods in secluded beaches well away from the prying eyes of the revenue men

True, add optional oars then 😁 , to be honest I love to see a galley over a sailing ship anyway. Maybe a galley with back-up sails (I’m a landlubber and know nothing of sailing)?

I like the beach prow idea, but wouldn’t this make more sense on a rowing boat? It probably takes a lot of manpower to get a ship this size back into the ocean and you also encounter the same problem as with ramming: you can’t reverse. Then there’s the problem that the waves will keep on pushing the ship to land.

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

You ghost in at low tide under minimal sail, ground gently, locals form a “bucket chain” and help load/ unload cargo asap. The incoming tide refloats the ship and if you’re lucky wind and water carry you out. Otherwise locals with poles push it round until the wind takes it or some of the crew get in a jolly boat and tow it out. You need the right weather, tide and wind conditions and a steeply shelving, soft beach.

I might once have had some Cornish relatives who may have had some experience of something similar, back before the war.

Four and twenty ponies, trotting through the dark ….  🙂

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

I wanted to differentiate my Copplestone picts which I repurposed as tribal warriors before I made my own, from my own.

I ended up with this:

It was interesting to see how these, amongst my very 1st 15mm compare to my more recent paint jobs of my own tribesmen.

The result is acceptable and the time taken was minimal, which is good.
    Debating if to go back and add more bones at some point.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I think they work fine as they are, because you are really drawn to the ‘skull’ faces.

Thomaston
    Participant

I was going to say the forarm and lower legs could have bones on them but I atree with steve, right now the face really draws attention. Do you have anotehr mini to spare? You could try the face paint as is but leave the chin dark for a more skull look.

Tired is enough.

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

I think they look great as is, though if it were me I’d paint the noses black to increase the skull effect. That’s probably just my CDO kicking in though.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

They turned out very well. The black nose idea is an intriguing one, though!

You could try the face paint as is but leave the chin dark for a more skull look.

I gave it a go and I think it works.

Plus now they have no painted jawbone, they can’t talk.
    Thus the Silent Dead were born…

Thomaston
    Participant

Cool, pics please.

Tired is enough.

So after painting them I thought I would carve some wooden stylus’s / styli?  as I have been doing Sumer as part of home schooling for Charlotte  and figured we could write some stuff in some clay tablets.

As is oft the way, after being very careful, on the last bit of cutting I got a bit cavalier and now I have a bloody finger (and desk and trousers) and a non functioning left hand.

So no photos today.

Thomaston
    Participant

Another battle scar.

Tired is enough.

Participant

I think they look great as is, though if it were me I’d paint the noses black to increase the skull effect. That’s probably just my CDO kicking in though.

I agree with Mike, if you want skulls this would be the best solution.

But maybe you haven’t gone far enough, a lot of African tribes use colourful bodypaint together with the facepaint.

I hope your hand gets better soon and the cut is a minor one. I still want to see your finished boat. I’m trying to figure out on how to do a rowing boat myself, because it’s slim pickings for 15mm in online shops, suggestions ?

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

I like them a lot.  I bet you they look great on the table as well.  Tons of contrast and kind of scary.

I think maybe I prefer the originals?
    But I like the idea of the name for the new ones…

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

I like the no nose but a chin would be better

Participant

I’m going to agree with no nose, but yes chin.  I love the finger bones, that is a very nice touch as well.

And ALWAYS cut AWAY from yourself.  Just a reminder!

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Those look great. Hope the hand is healing – a few swigs of rum might help!

Participant

Well done, the bones on the fingers are a really nice touch. They kind of resemble how I envisioned the cannibals in ‘She’ would look like.

Thanks everyone, I have gone back to full skulls.

COMING SOON:

Participant

Really nice, perfect for any 15mm fantasy setting. Are you going to do one with four wheels as well?

Really nice, perfect for any 15mm fantasy setting. Are you going to do one with four wheels as well?

yup can do, planning on exploring lots of cardstock options, they are easier than metal/resin to produce/sell.
    Admittedly the detail is only on one side, but as just set dressing and for the price….

Thomaston
    Participant

Is ther an axle the wheels are connected to or are they glued to the sides?

Tired is enough.

There is an axle, but at this size and made of card, I don’t think they would last that long if not glued to the sides.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

I really only game in the big scale (54mm) these days, but watching the growth of this range/project is a delight. Congratulations, and may these new items sell briskly!

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

They are card? No problem. If you need a bit more detail turn them over and add it. Ditto the cart, add an axle but I would glue the wheels anyway.

I love your Crom’s Anvil townspeople. I think they would make great SF townspeople as is too. I really need to get an order up

MikeMike
    Keymaster

If you need a bit more detail turn them over and add it.

Tru dat

Going to mould the ship next week.
    So hopefully by the weekend I should have a model to show you.

It is pretty much done, just a few bits to add/tidy.

It will come as a few parts.

The resin hull.
    Metal steps.
    MDF and cardstock hatch, poop railings and rudder.
    Dowels for the mast and yard/spar sail bit. (these dowels will come as you see with the ropes already attached, yes that is right, each one will be hand rigged by the captain themself for added unique shipness.)
    There are some pokey metal bits along the side, these will come like the dowl with rope wound around them.

All you will need to do is paint it, name it, and adventure in it!

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Beautiful.

Participant

The end result doesn’t disappoint, the ship is marvelous.

Thanks peeps.
    Test cast of the hull later today.

Test cast was good.

So here is what you will get:

with figure for scale:

greg954
    Participant

Sweet, looking good Mr Barracks. How much are we looking at for one of these beauties?

I suppose you’ll be making a port next? Might need one.

£15.00.

That includes the hand rigged dowel/masts.

Participant

That’s a heck of a good deal. And it looks great to boot!

(looking forwards to seeing it all dolled up to your usual great standards)

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,010 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.