Home Forums Fantasy Burning Sands Crom’s Anvil – 15mm Fantasy

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,322 total)
  • Author
    MikeMike
    Keymaster
    Gone Fishing
    Participant

Those pirates look really good. Hoping to see more soon!

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Amazes me how effortless you make it look to end up with such a great final product.

Thanks.
    I don’t think any of it is particularly hard, just time consuming.

Started adding clutter and added some dried grass as an awning.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Woo Hoo !!

Andrew BeasleyAndrew Beasley
    Participant

That’s neat as the simple (ha) awning really adds to the look.

You should look to collect lots of pictures from you builds into a small pamphlet / booklet and make it available!

Thanks folks, added some more to it today:

with the sun overhead, you can certainly see the shade the awnings grant..

More to come.

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

That reed cover looks really good. The door stands out though, looks too new compared to the bleached out hatch on the roof.

Tired is enough.

Thanks.
    It is meant to, the door is newly painted and the other wood is not, just dry and grey.
    You can judge a man by the state of his tavern entrance.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Fantastic! I particularly like the canopies. Consider that idea stolen!

Will we be seeing a landlord and serving wench?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Andrew BeasleyAndrew Beasley
    Participant

Thanks. It is meant to, the door is newly painted and the other wood is not, just dry and grey. You can judge a man by the state of his tavern entrance.

That sounds like someone has been through it recently without opening it…

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

That is one nice looking tavern!
    Will there be a sign?
    Do we get to vote what will be on it?

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Ps: +1 for the landlord and serving wench.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

mark leslie
    Participant

Rick’s Café Américain

Patrons please note: smoking  & drinking are a condition of entry.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Amazing work – I’m in awe of talents like this.

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks really good Mike.  Very much alive.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

gamegonegood
    Participant

really good, Makes mine look small and simple, Your giving me ideas though

Thanks folks, hope to do some more on it today.
    No plans on figures, the last batch of civilians did not do that well so I have no plans on commissioning any more.
    Even good figures take a couple of years to break even…

I was not sure about a name, or even if it needs one.
    It could simply be known as the tavern.
    “Rashid, you popping down the tavern later?”
    “Which one?”
    “Faroucs”
    “OK”

I am curious to know if any old historical drinking ale house type things had names?
    Or is that a recent concept?

Rick Berner
    Participant

How old is old??

The Tabard (featuring in The Canterbury Tales) – dating from 1307.

The Archangel Gabriel Salutes the Virgin Mary – mid 13th Century.

Ye Olde Man & Scythe – mid 13th Century.

How old is old??

Thinking sort of Biblical ish

Participant

I recall reading some years ago that in Portus (Rome’s actual port) during the 200s (?) there was a place called Neptuni Cibum.  Was supposed to mean Neptunes Eatery or Food from Neptune or some such.  It only stuck in my head because a friend laughed about in sounding like “tunas bum”….

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Who cares about biblical!
    Which alehouses and places of ill repute did conan frequent?
    Come on you bibliophiles and conan connaiseurs spit out some names, you know you can do it!😁😉

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Participant

Probably doesn’t need a name, just a sign that even the illiterate masses can understand!

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Who cares about biblical!

…that’d be me!

In Old Testament times taverns didn’t really exist, people may have stayed in something like a caravanserai or perhaps a guest house, often run by a widow, who may have offered other “services”, such that the ancient Hebrew words for “landlady” and “prostitute” are often confused. The best known Biblical example of such a woman is Rahab (Joshua, chapter 2).

The Romans hung vine leaves outside establishments to denote that they sold wine, but pub signs (and so names) as we now know them seem to have appeared around the 12th century and became universal when Richard II passed an act in 1393 requiring pubs and inns to have a sign so they could be identified by the ale taster and taxman. (‘Twas ever thus!)

I can’t speak for Conan, but Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser drank at the Silver Eel or Golden Lamprey…

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

…that’d be me!

I didn’t mean to be dismissive, I actually find the information you provided very interesting.
    I’m just in a silly mood as I have been celebrating my birthday today and maybe a little to much alcohol may have been involved too😉😵

I think I’ll stay of the internet for the rest of the day.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I was not sure about a name, or even if it needs one. It could simply be known as the tavern. “Rashid, you popping down the tavern later?” “Which one?” “Faroucs” “OK”

I think you probably have the right idea. Perhaps at most, a tavern might be unofficially named after something it’s associated with among the local population, such as a group of people (profession, ethnicity, whatever) who frequent it, or some other place it’s located next to. “Meet me at the Turanians’ tavern. Can’t go to the butcheryard tavern, the dice-players there think I owe them money.”

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Luckily I live in the town with the third-oldest, still in use, German pub. And two other, medieval ones, in the neighbouring one.
    The one here is called Zum Hirsch (At The Deer), the other two are called Schwarzer Adler (Black Eagle) and Die Drei Hasen (The Three Rabbits). Last one uses a sign that looks like excactly like the one on the flag of the Isle of Man.

If!) I find my Conan bible in my chaos(!) I may be able to give some names Howard (and other writers used) in a later post. Hopefully.

However there´ s something that concerns me. I remember what happened when Mike did a pub the last time….

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

I didn’t mean to be dismissive…

I take no offence, it’s just that “Biblical” is what I mostly do, so if anyone cares it’s me!

I have been celebrating my birthday today…

Many happy returns. If there’s a problem it’s probably a shortage of C2H6O…

Sales (sails?) are slow but I now have enough to produce the Nymph:

UPDATE

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Sales (sails?) are slow but I now have enough to produce the Nymph

Not cool about the slow sales, but way cool about the nymph! 😎

I have an order lined up but I keep holding off waiting for all the cool stuff you’ve been previewing on here.

Maybe it’s time to just fire it of to you and start lining up the next.

Btw. any chance of that spiffy looking small boat ever becoming available for purchase?

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Btw. any chance of that spiffy looking small boat ever becoming available for purchase?

No, BUT, seeing as you are a previous regular customer and a paying member here, I could let you have one of the spares I have left over in your next order…

😀

losethekinglosetheking
    Participant

Ohhh, can’t wait to see it! Got any idea when we may see them on the site?

StroezieStroezie
    Participant

Stroezie wrote:

No, BUT, seeing as you are a previous regular customer and a paying member here, I could let you have one of the spares I have left over in your next order…

Now there’s an offer I can’t refuse!

Order placed as of now 😎

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Praise Be To Apis.

Cargo now getting closer to be funded…

So.

As some of you may be aware I use some Xyston 15mm historical’s as bandits and general villains in the areas around Simurgh.
    I have also been pondering the feel for the Southern Oceans and have decided a sort of Indian vibe would work.

Rather than look at getting a whole new range of bandits and Southern Oceans figures sculpted I think I will stock some Xyston figures, as quite frankly they look right and in some cases I have been using them already.

I would compliment these by getting personality models sculpted to sit within these ranges.
    That way you could have some generic villains for your mighty heroes to slay and some more dramatic villain characters.

Here is what I am thinking of, please let me know your thoughts?

It seems like a good idea to be able to stock them so you could get it all from one site?

Xander Warren
    Participant

Sounds like a good idea to me Mike – I also saw some very cool usage of  Xyston Picts painted as desert-types

Sounds like a good idea to me Mike – I also saw some very cool usage of Xyston Picts painted as desert-types

oooh any links/pics?

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I have more than once contemplated buying some Xyston figures for my 15mm swords-and-sorcery project, but have always held off because I remain unconvinced about their size compatibility. A lot of the 15mm fantasy figures out there seem to look like absolute units compared your typical 15mm historical figure, of which Xyston seems representative.

There’s also a part of me that would feel the need to convert them in some way – any way – to strip them of their historical accuracy, so I’ll know in my mind I’m not just using historical figures in a fantasy world. Silly, I know, but there you are.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

There’s also a part of me that would feel the need to convert them in some way – any way – to strip them of their historical accuracy, so I’ll know in my mind I’m not just using historical figures in a fantasy world. Silly, I know, but there you a

Non historical paintjob and tattoo/warpaint?

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

There’s also a part of me that would feel the need to convert them in some way – any way – to strip them of their historical accuracy, so I’ll know in my mind I’m not just using historical figures in a fantasy world. Silly, I know, but there you a

Non historical paintjob and tattoo/warpaint?

I’d have to convert them a bit more than that. Just an idiosyncrasy of mine.

Participant

I think it’s smart, and in the end saves you money until you are ready to do your own line if you so choose and are inspired to.

I think it’s smart, and in the end saves you money until you are ready to do your own line if you so choose and are inspired to.

Exactly, saves me a couple of grand, and by saves me I don’t mean I have a couple of grand lying around spare…

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 2,201 through 2,240 (of 2,322 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.