Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Ace Combat 7

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Thomaston
    Participant

Been watching Youtube gameplay of this and man do I want to play a miniature version of it. Can’t think of any rules that represent the kinf of arcade missile hell this game is though.

As usual I admire computer games but couldn’t stand the limitation of the media.

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Well, that’s triggered me to also start watching some gameplay of it on YouTube (just lazy watching though). Hadn’t heard about this game before, thanks for the tip.

I often find myself watching video games, especially the more deliberately unrealistic Japanese ones, and thinking about how to make miniature game rulesets that emulate the feel of them. There’s plenty of as-yet-unrealised potential for new avenues of miniature game design there, and inroads are already being made in the board gaming scene (think Super Dungeon Explore), so maybe there’s good things ahead for miniature gaming on that front as well.

As an aside, I also like the Japanese tradition (as exemplified by the Ace Combat games) of making up “fantasy” worlds that are basically Earth in modern day or at some point in history, but with different geography and geopolitics.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Can’t think of any rules that represent the kinf of arcade missile hell this game is though

I’d think one of the easiest approaches would probably to use Thud Ridge and dial up the ease of missile attacks, numbers planes carry, and make the “player planes” able to take a bunch more hits.  Should be easy to modify the ground and air targets and victory conditions.  But ya, the shear number of enemies and missiles in the air at once would be completely daunting with something more detailed like CY6!JA.

As an aside, I also like the Japanese tradition (as exemplified by the Ace Combat games) of making up “fantasy” worlds that are basically Earth in modern day or at some point in history, but with different geography and geopolitics.

Me too.  I loved The Sky Crawlers, and some of the games that infuse a sort of medieval-modern vibe (played one where you had tanks and rifles and smgs, but everyone still wore a sort of plate armor, especially the AT guys who used these RPGs that looked like lances).  Even The Last Exile / Fam Silver Wing has the same thing going.  They really are masters at that sort of mashup.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

The setting is familiar yet avoids real world poltics and other stuff. I like the Arsenal Bird in mission 3, all those drones as well.

I like Thudridge’s weapon table, it even differentiate rookie pilots. I had a long thought last night and what;s worst than tracking 10-30 aircraft is having 3-4 missiles on the hero’s tail every turn. The odds are against a character surviving. For a normal muti squadron fight though I think it’ll be slow but doable and might be fun. I think it’s easier to do Sky Crawlers though, because shorter weapon range and the Battle of Britain rule Jack was using looks like it can handle a lot of aircraft.

Last Exile was good. There are also more Victorian steampunk flying battleship miniatures around now.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Thomaston.

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I’ve watched through most of the game now, and am entertaining the thought of just buying and playing it myself (but I probably should abstain). On top of the setting, I’m also getting a very typically Japanese vibe (which I like) from the storyline, dialogue and character designs. You know, that Gundam-y sort of feel? That, but with “real world” fighter jets in place of mechs.

The Arsenal Birds are cool, although the fact that they come equipped with some sort of force field tech feels a tad OTT for the technology level of the rest of the setting. But I don’t mind the other sci-fi elements at all.

I’ll have to watch Sky Crawlers, thanks for reminding me about it. Mamoru Oshii makes good movies.

As for Last Exile, I would define it as more like dieselpunk than steampunk, but that will no doubt annoy people who feel put-upon by the proliferation of words that end in “-punk” 

Thomaston
    Participant

You might want to check out Project Wingman. Very much Ace Combat but still in development. There is a free demo though.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

For doing Sky Crawlers type battles maybe the old Crimson Skies would work?  I never played it but I saw games with 20 to 30 planes a side.

Some genres are almost impossible to put on a table top.  Though, I once saw a convention game that was done up as an old-school  side-scroller…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.