Home Forums Air and Sea Air Action over Baupaume, Nov ’16

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Don Glewwe
    Participant

Covid boredom led me to dig out and dust off my WW1 aircombat game and put some toys on the table.  The result was nothing notably great, but it did provide a couple hours of fun rolling dice creating a story about the little tin soldiers as they fought in the (basement) skies.

An AAR of sorts can be found at  https://brawlfactory.net/2020/12/02/23-november-16/

https://brawlfactory.net/

Jim Jackaman
    Participant

Splendid! That cheered me up too.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Being a long time air gamer this is right up my alley.

I have Wings (Yaquinto), but frankly don’t remember it well, In Clouds of Glory, Canvas Eagles and Canvas Flacons along with a bunch of others. I have played CE (ran it actually) using micro armour planes. I like the look of ICoG but again opponents may be an issue although I have a couple guys interested in WWI air games. Unfortunately one has decided to stick to Wings of War (or whatever it is/was called) which I have played a few times (play their game then they owe you a try of yours right?), and the other the same for Canvas Eagles. Canvas Falcons is supposed to be way intense so I need to find opponents there. Back in the day I played a LOT of Air Superiority which CF is supposed to be based on, or dealing at a similar level. I have also played the WWII version of Check Your 6 which reminds me a lot of Wooden Ships & Iron Men (write your turn out then move as written) which is a little dubious to me.

Love the WWI minis. I have about two dozen painted with attachments for my stands and maybe two to three times as many still raw. Oh for opponents! And anyone who thinks 2D air games is good enough just doesn’t get IT.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

Splendid! That cheered me up too.

Glad to hear – fun is what it’s about, right?

“Oh for opponents!”

One of the strengths of these otherwise-full-of-flaws rules is how they allow for the control of multiple aircraft without too much before-there-were-radios coordination between pilots, so that a single player can produce a reasonably-believable game (even without the rudimentary AI I used to prevent my dictating the intentions/paths of every aircraft).  The rather strong ‘fog of movement’ imposed along with limited turn-by-turn resources available to each pilot means that it is pretty much impossible to tell what they’ll do and where they’ll be beyond the immediate moment – and even then the dice have a nasty (or pleasant, depending on your point of view) way of turning even that on its head.  I admit that as a competition it struggles to satisfy, but as the generator of an interesting tabletop story the game performs quite well (imo, of course) in providing fun with dice and minis.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Well frankly I hate playing solo. I realized, decades ago, my hobbies are primarily ways to socialize as much as the enjoyment of gaming or flying radio controlled planes. I hate computer games, they do nothing for me unlike my kids and late wife. Nobody across the table either swearing at you or laughing. That and my usual solo opponent is a bore and horrible cheat, along with being a nincompoop.

But is it possible to get a copy of your rules? I just looked at the pretty pictures on your site. If there is a link there let me know. Thank you.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

…primarily ways to socialize as much as the enjoyment of gaming…and my usual solo opponent is a bore and horrible cheat, along with being a nincompoop.

I’m in complete agreement – except that my opponent is too stupid to cheat effectively, so that isn’t a problem.

…is it possible to get a copy of your rules?

I suppose it’s possible.  There’s nothing available to download as what I’ve got is pretty much like Klaus’ Albatros: A difficult thing to control as many of its pieces-parts don’t do what they’re supposed to.  With that in mind, I’m willing to put together something that resembles a set of rules and email it, but I fear that dealing with it in its current state would likely be more trouble than it’s worth and put you off even more towards solo gaming.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

There are a lot of rules and game systems out there for this period. Sometimes it doesn’t seem like it but at times I am constantly reminded of rules I didn’t know about. What has me curious is how you implement the solo aspect. Do the “player” actions also be formed/forced by the mechanic? IE are ALL planes AI or just one side?

Don Glewwe
    Participant

…how you implement the solo aspect. Do the “player” actions also be formed/forced by the mechanic? IE are ALL planes AI or just one side?

I think the answer to the latter is ‘all’ since I didn’t take a single side and let the AI control the other (so I really have only myself to blame for all of the mistakes).

As to how the actions are formed/forced:

The choices in the game for each pilot are fairly broad: Which area to be in/go to and which enemy (or friendly, in the case of formations) aircraft to target (if any).  For movement (including staying in the currently-occupied area) the intensity/difficulty of the flying done is also chosen.

In addition to experience, each pilot has two characteristics that guide/modify the choices and their outcomes: ‘Points’ in a pool (that is refreshed each turn) that are used to do stuff, and ‘Pluck’ that reflects how keen he is for battle.  For example, I’d use experience and points to determine a pilot’s awareness of a situation (as when Kurt failed to notice Harry), pluck to influence the difficulty-level of the flying (as when Fritz bent the wings to turn back near the end of the game), and points to affect the outcomes (which -being a limited pool reduced by damage- can only be used for a couple tasks, or in the case of rookies like Kurt or Fritz: usually just one thing per turn).

The vagaries of action choice are then further clouded by the game’s ‘fog of movement’ which -via variable movement rates, area placement, and skill tests- makes it pretty much impossible to know (as a player) how the table will look at the end of a turn, so that the best any plan made can do is direct the general flow/purpose of the action.  I usually begin each game with a general objective for each side (or sometimes: specific pilot) that is used to provide this overall guidance for the choices made over the course of play.

The system (if it can even be called that) is far from sure and contains more handwavium than firm dictates, but since -for solo play- it’s  effectiveness in providing enjoyment lies squarely on the shoulders of the user I think it’s good enough as a framework that each gamer can tweak to fit personal taste.  dunno…a warm body across the table is always preferable, and for those occasions the system serves to allow control of multiple aircraft without too much ahistorical coordination.  Getting a large-ish group of players around a table at any time to field many models is a hurdle for the genre, and I think this system works well enough (if not anywhere near great) to allow two players to get a flight (or two?) of toys on the table for a game.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Actually that sounds good. Even playing with warm bodies the ability to limit or portray pilot’s abilities to keep up with the action is one area games either ignore (Air Superiority where everyone has great situational awareness, dependent on the player’s skill) or over emphasize (games where you pre-plot all your actions and movement). Your ideas sound closer to a happy medium, especially wrt pilot quality/skill.

As for handwavium sometimes it cannot be ignored. Although I like to write and play rules which cover every eventuality, well there is always something not thought of until it happens. I would like to discuss this further. Do you want to keep it here or take it to your “not a blog” or email. Thank you.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

“…discuss this further. Do you want to keep it here…?

‘Here’ in the sense of this forum, yes – I believe the topic would be of interest to all and I hope further discussion would draw in more ideas/opinions from other gamers.  That said, I think it would be better served within its own topic so that, for future reference on the site, threads on the menu reflect more of ‘what it says on the tin’.  I’ll copy over my last post and we can go from there.  Again: I hope others will chime in as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.