Home Forums Air and Sea Naval ACW: Scale is in the eye of the beholder…

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DM.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Not that I’ve played a game yet, but I did purchase some new ‘water’ for my recently set up table. That prompted me to unpack my 1/600 ACW models. In there I found a partially finished 3-masted vessel. The model is actually the old 1:450-ish Airfix Shannon. I had water lined it and intend to use it as the Cumberland or something like that. I did quite a bit of repainting though it’s not yet finished. My intention is to rig it, too–thanks to the members here providing so much inspiration! I have another 2 of this model still in the blister packaging. I think I’ll add paddle-wheel boxes to one and call it the Mississippi. Though, I see this model on Oi-Vey! with an asking price of $24-$36. Is that realistic? If so, I might sell the Airfix models and reinvest in some more Thoroughbreds.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Volunteer
    Participant

Really? This is the Airfix Shannon? And you have two more? Wow! The Shannon is such a rare bird. I have been looking for one at a reasonable price for years. You most certainly could offload them for enough to buy several Thoroughbreds. You have done a lovely job converting this one to believable steam frigate. Though she does look a bit over large compared to the others in the background. Do you have a blog site? O would love to see more of your stuff.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Volunteer.

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

As a matter of fact, I do have a blog: https://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/. It’s not been utilized lately but that may be changing.

Forgot to add: The perspective in the photos skews the relative sizes. The model Shannon‘s hull is 4.5 inches in total length, call it 4 inches between perpendiculars. So in 1:600 scale it’s around the size of a 200’ long ship. The Minnesota is listed at 264 feet, Mississippi at 229 and the Congress at 179–but I’m not sure if those are overall or pp.  So, the model is in the ball park. All I really did to make it into a steam frigate is add a brass tube as a stack on top of a chunk of plastic to add interest and cut down the masts.

I also have a partially built USS Constitution produced by either Lindberg or Pyro. I’m not sure of the actual scale but in 1:600 it would equate to about 262 in length. Wow! That is amazingly close to the Minnesota. I think I’ve just found my next project. It’s not aged with much grace, though, so quite a bit more work will be needed to make her operational.

Vol, I don’t see a way of contacting you via TWW. Drop me a line via my blog (above) and I’m sure we can work something out regarding my extra Shannons.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

If you do that! I will cry buckets, kick my cat and shout at my lovely Jane! Airfix “H.M.S. Shannon” is like Hen’s teeth. And you have TWO! Vol will only cut them up, make them, paint and rig them. Then he will post photo’s of them on this site, on his blog and send me e-mails of them too! I’m very unhappy and am going out too eat worms, lots of worms.

I have just finished painting my 2nd Airfix “Victory”. She is as is from the box. The first one I cut down to a 74 gun by losing the bottom deck and cutting out the middle.

But I’m not a bitter man and will help you. [email protected] make brass rat-lines which fit the Airfix models. Peter is very nice and helpful. You will need the 1/350 – 1/400 scale sets if the “Shannon” is the same scale as the “Victory”. The set has 8 pairs of rat-lines of different sizes.

My frist model I made the rat-lines myself from net. I’m no Vol so was glad to find Peter. I have two more Airfix “Victory’s” to make Both as French One as a 80 gun 3rd rate and the other as a 120 1st rate (will have to buy a 3rd ship to do that, need the extra bit for the middle ). I do not wish to high-jack your thread so will only post photo’s of my two models if you wish it.

Good luck, be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

@Rory: Well, I’ve never much cared for cats (definitely a dog person) and I’ve heard that worms can be quite tasty if cooked properly. But I’m sure Jane, whoever she is, has done nothing to deserve being shouted at. Have at it! 😉 But only if you post pictures of your Victory mods. I had a number of those, too, but disposed of them long ago.

@Tim: Wonderful game photographs! Very evocative of the era. I have really got to get over my fear of rigging. It adds SO much.

And just to add to the discussion re the Shannon size I’ve attached a couple of shots of her next to Thoroughbred’s Hartford and New Ironsides. She does probably sit a bit proud but I still think it’s passable for a gaming model for the scale. What nags at me more than the size discrepancy is the squared off stern. I think by the 1850s most of the frigates had rounded sterns.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

A-O-S,

You asked for them! Thanks to Vol I can now post photos, but they are so big I cannot post them all in one hit and have no room to write?

Jane is my long time better half. I’m so lucky. I like both cats and dogs but we have a cat now. As for the worms!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rigged ship was cut to the water-line, but took the lower deck too. I also took out a middle bit from the main hatch to the main mast (lost some ships-boats). All this has made her look more like a 74 on the table but no a scale model of one. The instructions show the yard-arms set to low??? So I did this for the 74 and cut a little off the masts. On the 1st rate i set the main yard-arm under the fighting tops. I do not like my rat-lines but will keep them as to chance them would not be a easy thing to do. I will use the brass ones on the 1st rate. For the next two the French I will cut as the 74 water-line plus lower deck, but will keep middle bit for the 80 gun ship. For the 120 gun 1st rate I will get a 3rd model and add a middle bit. If I had thought about it I could have saved the middle of the British 74, but cut the water-line frist, before the middle. So is now too short to use.  I’m doing the Airfix models as a side line as I’m trying to get my 1-2400 ships painted

Tim,

I think your ships work. They look so good on the table. I hate you a little! Seeing yours is making me think of trying A.C.W. ships and gaming. I have played a number of “Peter Pig’s” A.C.W. river games

This is my last night of posting for a number of days as going in to hospital to get my thumb looked at tomorrow.

Be safe

Rory

DM
    Participant

Going back to the ACW (lovely ships though Rory), if you can release funds by selling the Shannons and getting Thouroughbreds with the proceeds then thats definitely the way I’d go.  To my mind the Shannon just doesn’t look “right” with your other ACW models there.

As an aside I have three Shannons (plus an old Lindberg Constitution) that I’m using for frigate duel games, and I’ve just found another couple stashed away in the “plastic mountain” as well 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.