Home Forums General General AdBlock and TWW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I just installed AdBlock on my Chrome browser because another site I frequently visit has crossed the line of what’s decent and reasonable in regard to ads (when the background graphic of the website of a well-respected national newspaper is a full-screen video advertisement, something has gone terribly wrong with the world). When next I visited TWW, I noticed the ads were gone from here, too.

I’ve now disabled AdBlock for this domain, but I thought this worth pointing out for other TWW users: If you’re using AdBlock or another equivalent browser extension and you’re not seeing banner ads on TWW, set the extension to ignore this domain. Advertising sponsors are paying for much of the site, after all. Ad blocking is presumably not something that Editor Mike or anyone else can circumvent as the extensions in question are designed to aggressively block all advertising unless configured otherwise by the user. Unfortunately there’s an increasingly brassy, intrusive, downright militant attitude to advertising taking over on many other (more mainstream) parts of the internet which is making extensions like this rather necessary on the whole. I hate it.

Norm S
    Participant

Good shout.

Shandy
    Participant

I’ve been using adblock for a while now, because as Rhoderic says some sites are unreadable now with the aggressive ads. I do however disable domains I want to support like this one.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Agreed. Please disable it for sites that deserve your support and rely on ads for their income.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’ve been using adblock for a while now, because as Rhoderic says some sites are unreadable now with the aggressive ads. I do however disable domains I want to support like this one.

Same here.

The advertising on TWW doesn’t bother me. If all web advertising were like that, I wouldn’t bother with AdBlock. I only installed it because too many sites were too difficult to use, because of the advertising.

Military history author

Rhoderic
    Participant

To me it’s not just that ads on TWW aren’t intrusive; they’re enjoyable. They’re to do with the hobby, and make me feel more immersed in the community. As I’m writing this the ad at the top of the page is for Matakishi’s Tea House, an excellent resource of which I’m glad to have been reminded.

It’s when I can’t follow current world affairs without being pestered by absurdly aggressive advertisements (that slow down my computer and start blasting out sound whenever I accidentally hover the mouse cursor over them) for things like charter airlines, DIY centres and estate agents that I lose my patience.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Reminds me, I must sort out an ad

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Mike
    Keymaster

Reminds me, I must sort out an ad

Like this one maybe?

😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.