Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Advice for Painting Danes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Brendish
    Participant

Hello all!

Encouraged in no small part by current circumstances, I’ve decided to take the plunge into Napoleonics. After much deliberation I thought I might begin by assembling a small Danish force having been inspired by a good friend of mine who happens to be a Dane.

I was just wondering if there are those out there who might have tackled such a project themselves and, if so, what particular paints, etc. they used in the process. I should probably say that I am not an entirely new hobbyist (though new to this particular niche) and I am reasonably well-read on the matter of uniforms but would appreciate guidance nonetheless, mainly so I don’t throw too much money away in the process.

Much obliged in advance.

Ben

General SladeGeneral Slade
    Participant

Hi Ben,

I’m afraid I can’t offer much guidance because the the only Danish Napoleonic troops I have are languishing unpainted somewhere in the lead pile but I would be interested to hear about your progress.  What figures are you using and what are you using as uniform guides?

My favourite paint is the Miniature Paints line from Ral Partha Europe.  However, even this recommendation is of little help because the company relaunched the range last year with a Kickstarter, which for some reason reduced the selection of colours on offer and now the palette is so limited as to be virtually useless: http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/miniature-paints-c-54/?sort=20a&page=1

With uniform guides there is a chance that Bill Rawkins’ study, The Army of Denmark-Norway 1800-1814, may still be published later this year and if it is it will be well worth getting.  His works are a labour of love:  they provide a wealth of information and are remarkably reasonably priced.

Stephen

Benjamin Brendish
    Participant

Thank you very much, Stephen, for your response – any input is much appreciated! I confess that my progress is next to none at the moment, I tend to take a policy of meticulous (as far as is possible) research before I commit my rather limited funds.

About the only decision I have made so far is that I will go for 28mm miniatures; likely of the Perry variety at the moment. My current circumstances, both general and personal, mean that the likelihood of me playing any games anytime soon is low and I feel I will enjoy the hobby side of things more with the slightly larger models. I have a book from the mid-century (I think, the book in question is temporarily mislaid at the time of writing) whose author escapes me. It’s not exactly comprehensive, but it’s enough to start with until the title you suggested is available.

General SladeGeneral Slade
    Participant

The Perry figures are very nice.  You will certainly end up with a good-looking army.  The book by Bill Rawkins will only be published digitally and whilst it is due to be published this year I imagine that the current situation puts that into doubt so you may need to rely on the books you already have to get started.

I expect you have already found this, but there is a pretty good guide to Danish uniforms (including lots of pictures of painted Perry figures) here: https://www.chakoten.dk/wp-content/uploads/Danish-Infantry-of-the-Line-and-Light-Infantry-1803-1814.-The-Perry-Achievement-.pdf

Good luck with the project.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.