Home Forums Modern Afghan Wars – Modern

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Afghan project is moving along nicely 50+ Taliban in 15 mm have been cleaned up, de-flashed (they needed very little of this), mounted on plasti-card and washers and primed. 45 US Marines have been cleaned up, mounted on plastic and washers and are ready for priming. 32 US infantry have been cleaned up and are ready for mounting. Heavy weapons remain to be done for Marines and Infantry. Three Humvee’s are assembled and primed with one more on the work table awaiting the arrival of a missing piece, but otherwise assembled. Terrain such as mud walls and mud-brick houses are being made/purchased and are on their way to completion/arrival. Still another 40+ Taliban to get ready. Also a platoon of Canadians. When I get the infantry done then I will start on mass producing painted vehicles. Cougar MRAP’s, more Humvees, an Oshkosh MRAP clone, Strykers, LAV’s (although not LAV III’s alas – hint Geoff), more Humvees, LVT-7’s (which have not been ordered yet). The goal is to have 50+ Taliban and 45 Marines done completely by mid January, The US Infantry done by the end of February and the Canadians done by late April. Then the vehicles by the summer.

After Afghanistan comes Iraqi insurgents and then African militias and French forces.

While all this is going on I will continue to paint WWII 15mm skirmish figures and vehicles – right now 17 Pz 38(t) light tanks of which seven are almost finished. Busy, busy, busy! Also 17 motorcycle-sidecar combos are being painted and then their crews. Busy, busy, busy! Must paint more and live less!

When I figure out how to put up pictures on the dang inter-web, a low priority at the moment, then I will share photos of my progress. Until then words will have to suffice.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Wowzer !!! All my hobby stuff is on hold till after the move.  That is still on track( cross your fingers) for Thursday.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Good luck with the move and your ascension to man-cave heaven in the garage. I hope everything goes smoothly.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Rod – Gotta love a man with a plan, especially when that plan involves Marines.  Did you ever spot my (late) reply to your questions about transports?  Anyway, we NEED pictures man!

Kyote – Enough with the excuses!  Get your butt back to work (gaming)!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

My lady has me packing……

Participant

Just Jack:

Moshe Dayan cautioned that no plan survives contact with the enemy. It’s easy to make a plan but much harder to execute it. Let’s see if I can maintain focus and discipline to meet the deadlines. Life often gets in the way.

I did read your reply to my question about transport and your answer combined with subsequent research has convinced me that there is no real answer. Transportation was and remained an ad-hoc issue for the Marines for their duration in Afghanistan and to a lesser extent in Iraq.

As to the pictures and blogliness you crave, that must wait until time and inclination allow me to turn that corner. For the now I am happy just to assemble and paint minis and models. Learning how to make digital displays of same will take time, time which could be better spent painting and gaming.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Photos or it didn’t happen!

Participant

Oh the horror…..Those of us with out cameras are treated so badly..

Participant

Rod – Indeed!  You need to do your best to avoid contact, and break contact ASAP when it’s unavoidable.  And sorry I couldn’t be more helpful with USMC transport…

And the two of you (Rod and Kyote) – Yes, on the internet, photos are what we call ‘proof.’  😉  Just kidding, we don’t believe either of you have an integrity issue, we just like to fawn over pretty pictures of stuff.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I may have to get my Daughter to take and post the pictures but some how some day I’ll get some up…er there are still some on my facebook page.

Participant

;) Just kidding, we don’t believe either of you have an integrity issue, we just like to fawn over pretty pictures of stuff. V/R, Jack

What Jack said 🙂  Eye candy is good for the hobby… well, at least for motivating me in my hobby

Participant

I agree with Shelldrake agreeing with me 😉

If it weren’t for some anonymous guys on the internet, I probably wouldn’t be here right now.  A few years ago I was bored and looking around on the internet, and I found two blogs; neither was all that pretty to look at, but each had quite a few fights on it, and it was clear the guys were both having a great time, despite the fact they were both playing solo.  One had created his own little world, while the other was playing Spanish Civil War and WWII.  Both were using individually mounted little guys (one 6mm, the other 10mm) with a couple vehicles.

Beautiful is great, but the fact this stuff wasn’t 28mm museum-quality miniatures was actually what inspired me!  I don’t have the time, talent, or patience to make museum-quality stuff, but these guys were just like me, with a couple pieces of felt thrown down over a blanket, and they were getting it on in their own little worlds, and sharing it with us!  I thought (and still think) that was just the coolest thing I’d seen, and they were the impetus for me to get back to gaming after my old man passed away.

So those guys inspired me not only to play games, but to share with other folks, hopefully kinda showing the way for guys teetering on the brink of “it looks cool, but I don’t think I have the time/money/wherewithal to pull it off.”  My reply is that it doesn’t take much; $100 gets you two armies in 10mm, plus trees, walls, roads, and buildings.  Find you a digital camera (or a scanner, I suppose), start a free blog, and you’ll be doing it like the pros in no time 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I’m just a fool for a well written AAR, pics are a plus. Some day soon I hope…Oh but I’ve been playing with Army Guys all my life.

Participant

We are all mortal men (women?) and have only limited time on this silica and water ball we call the “Third Rock from the Sun”. This imposes temporal scarcity upon us and makes every thing we do more valuable. The opportunity cost of learning to blog is just too high and will cost me just too much valuable time, which I prefer to use in other ways. Although I haven’t done so in about fifteen years, I used to put on flashy games at wargames conventions both in Canada and the USA so I did my bit for spreading the cult of lead. Now I content myself with gaming at my local club  once a month and with friends at home on occasional weekends; and with painting the mountains of lead I have accumulated (and am still accumulating) over the past thirty-five years. I am a teacher which gives me very little free time to do this hobby, so the little free time I have I jealously guard and choose to devote to the activities which I love to do. Blogging is not such a pass-time I value and so will have to wait until I have enough free time to consider adding it to my roster of activities. Perhaps in 13 years when I retire I shall consider it but for now it’s going to be painting and gaming. Sorry dudes but photos are just along way down the road.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Chas tells me we will (finally) have a WMIK soon…

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

Geoff:

WMIK’s! So now I have to buy Brits as well!?!? Well it is an acceptable excuse to buy some Royal Marines or SAS to further spice up the mayhem in the Afghan hinterlands. But this is going to throw off the schedule and could put me into receivership, so that will have to wait for awhile. I will however be ordering some Taliban kit which I forgot to include in my last order.

Geoff. LAV III. You’re feeling very tired and your eyelids are growing heavy. Variants. Just sit back, relax and let yourself drift off. LAV III. I will count down from five to zero, LAV III, and then you will be fast asleep. Variants.  You will be free of all worries and concerns. LAV III Variants. You will be floating weightlessly, removed from the material world and all it’s worries. Variants. Then, when I snap my fingers, you will awake all refreshed and with a powerful urge to produce ultramodern Canadian eight-wheeled vehicles. Variants. Five, four, three……….

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Gee, if we are going to hypnotise people, can we throw an ASLAV (and variants)  in to the variant mix? My Aussies need between three and five of them. 

Participant

Rod,

Sorry man, I wasn’t trying to pressure you into blogging, I was just explaining how I got into it.  My only regret is that we don’t get to see your stuff!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

No need for concern. I did not feel any pressure. I was just explaining that the digital stuff is not my cup of tea. I have to work with barely cooperative computers, systems and digital hardware all day, so the last thing I want to do is spend more time on the infernal things during my down-time. That’s why I love the minis so much. They get my mind off the many frustrations which have computers as their root. I feel more comfortable in the real and tangible world than in the virtual and ephemeral digital world.

Lead, pewter and resin are real, electrons and quanta do not feel real to me (unless I’m being electrocuted).

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

A slow weekend means I have fallen behind schedule due to having to make up exams and study guides for Mid-year Examinations. I only got ten Marines primed. I did manage to get 35 Regular US infantry mounted on plastic and washers. The only real painting I got done was some WWII Pz 38(t) light tanks leaving 8 still left to do. I am still waiting on a missing part to arrive before I can complete the last of four Humvee’s and then I will get started painting them. Yikes there is a lot to do!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Rod,

We do not have time for slow weekends!  You must focus on what is truly important.  I didn’t get any painting in, but I got two games in (one’s been posted).

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Moan! No time to assemble, prime or paint. All I got done this weekend was to assemble two Cougar MRAP’s and two Cold War Canadian Lynxes. Must make more progress or the plan will fall too far behind. I have too much to do and not enough time. Maybe I should quit work and focus on what’s really important! Of course that would crimp my purchasing potential for buying more minis so maybe I’ll rethink that plan. Any chance we could get world governments to extend the day’s length to 48 hours so I could find find more free time for hobby related projects. Argh!

Rod (DT’s) Robertson

Participant

Well, I made some progress in the last two days on the Modern Afghan Campaign materials. I got 24 more Taliban based and primed and finished priming all my Marines. I also got some paint on four HUMVEE’s but I will finish those tomorrow or Thursday. Now I have to start painting Taliban and Marines. Taliban will be painted in groups of twelve (one leader, one RPG, one LMG, two rifles and seven AK-47’s) and there are five groups of twelve. Then the Taliban command/ support group will be done with two mortar teams, two HMG’s teams, four RPG’s and four leader types. The Marines will be painted in Sections of thirteen men and the Platoon HQ will be augmented by additional SAW’s and MMG’s. If and when I can find modern 60mm mortars they will be added to the roster. Next comes more HUMVEE’s and Cougar MRAP’s and then I move on to an American Infantry Ptn.

While doing all this I must complete 19 German WW II Motorcycle with Sidecar Combos and some French kit too. Mother!

Cheers and Good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Thanks for the update Rod! All power to your (painting) arm for 2015!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

Sparker:

Cheers and the best for 2015 to you and yours!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Sounds like you did well 🙂

Do you have Afghanistan terrain? I noticed a few months back that Gamecraft has some excellent “foam” compound buildings that are perfect for ‘stan and similar regions.

Participant

Is this the correct organizations for a USMC heavy weapons platoon in a Marine Rifle Company?

M-240G MG Section (19 Marine Total)
    1 Section Leader Sgt/SSgt

3 squads each w/ 2 teams each with:
    Team Leader M-16A2/A4
    Gunner M-240G w/M-9 Berreta
    Ammo Man M-16A2?A4

Mortar Section (10 Marines total)
    1 Section Leader Cpl/Sgt

3 Teams
    Team Ldr M-16A2/A4
    Gunner 60mm Mortar Tube and M-9 Berreta
    Ammo Man M-16A2/A4

Assault Section: (13 Marines Total)

Section Leader Cpl/Sgt.
    6 Teams
    Team Leader M-16A2/A4
    Gunner Mk-153 SMAW w/ M-16A2/A4 (most of the time end up with a 9mm)

Platoon HQ: (5 Marines).

Plt Commander M-16A2/A4

Plt Sgt M-16A2/A4

Corpsman Man Pvt.

RTO

Medic (attached)

Total 46 Maines Tolal

cheers and thanks in advance for any corrections you might offer.

Rod Robertson.

TWW is being uncooperative today and won’t let me type this without repeated re-edits. Doh!

Participant

Yeah, I know, LAVIII, ASLAV and Stryker MGS….

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Participant

And Penguins and Sea Lions and a Walrus……you know you want too…..

Participant

Geoff:

It is good to see that your “re-education” programme is progressing nicely. However, it is LAV III and variants. Do not forget the variants, as they are just as important as the basic vehicle.

Kyoteblue:

What hallucinogenic drugs are you on, dude? I want to game the poppy fields of Afghanistan, not the strawberry fields of Beatle psychedelia for pete sake! Koo-koo-ka-choo to you.

Rod Robertson

Participant

But but…it would be so cool to have them show up in your games….Pandas and Goats and Coyotes and Cthulhu… ….

Participant

Well, I’m back to work teaching after the March break week off and have had some time to get some minis done. One squad of Marines and seven HUMVEE’s (all from Flytrap Factory) are painted up. Four Cougar MRAP’s from QRF are painted and detailed but have not been weathered yet. I also just filed down and mounted an incomplete thirty-man troop of Flytrap British Royal Marines and I will hopefully get them primed before the weekend but a funeral may delay that until Saturday morning. One twelve-man “squad” of Taliban warriors is about half painted and only 88 left to do! Then I will get some more Marines done and paint up four Strykers as well. Progress is slower than I expected but I am very much looking forward to getting enough stuff done that I can begin gaming using NEIS and Force on Force rules. Must stay focused and push forward.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

FOcus on getting a small platoon done of each, that way you can get them on the table. Watching them get shot to bits because they lack all their support will motivate you painting the rest 😉

Participant

Sage advice, Ivan. But I am weak and the siren-song of four Acheson Creations Strykers is just too seductive for me too resist. When they get done then I promise to do one squad or pseudo-squad before I paint each subsequent batch of vehicles. That is what I do when painting my WWI and WWII minis.

Also I am thinking about dusting off my modern micro armour and trying out your Brigade Comander rules and perhaps your Company Comander rules too. But that won’t be for a month or two as I went on a bit of a wargaming shopping spree in my week off and must let my credit card cool off some before I indulge again.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I am always happy to encourage you to burn more gaming dollars on me 🙂

Participant

Two squads of US Marines, two twelve-man “Squads” of Afghan Taliban, Four Cougar 6×6 MRAP’s and 8 HUMVEE’s are done! Much more to do and I am way behind schedule but things are beginning to finally come together. I also took delivery of some outstanding 15mm Afghan buildings and ruins from GameCraft Miniatures and boy do they look great! I am pumped! Must finish four Strykers and then do the last squad of Marines and more Taliban hordes. Then it’s US Army infantry, British Royal Marines, Canadians and Arab foreign fighters.

Anybody have any idea where one can get 15mm compatible palm trees and other indigenous vegetation? I wonder if I should make some myself? Anyway it’s back to painting and priming!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

I know this will sound weird but Afghanistan has more Ceder tree’s than Palm tree’s when there are any tree’s at all. My nephew Nick was there in 2011-12. Don’t know about Iraq.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Thanks for the heads up on the cedars! I have seen video of firefights in the vegetation surrounding/lining irrigation ditches and there are palms poking up from a riot of other lower trees and bushes.

How is the Elivra project going?

Cheers and good gaming.

Participant

Elvira would be happening except I got all those  painted WW1 Brits and Germans in and have been sorting them out and rebaseing them.  I can now do most any action on the British part of the western front 1914-1916. But still need a lot more painted French. Plus building and painting T-35’s and stuff….Oh and real life keeps intruding into my gaming plans…Damn it.

Participant

Maybe Elvira’s great grandmother had a cottage in the French countryside circa 1913 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.