Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi After: Tales of the Post Apocalypse on my Blog

This topic contains 47 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen Madjanovich 2 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve created an index page on my blog for stories based on my post apocalypse campaign.  The stories will be posted on my front page, with links to the stories listed on the post apocalypse page. The idea is to present the adventures and battle reports as stories through the eyes of the characters.   I currently have two posts up, the first is a brief introduction to my post-apoc world at:

http://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/01/after-introduction-to-my-post.html

And an introduction to the first group of characters at:

http://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/02/im-scout-from-floyd-post-apocalyptic.html

The index page is at:

http://irishserb.blogspot.com/p/after-post-apocalypse.html

Hope it might be of some interest, and thanks for looking.

irishserb

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll check them out, thanks !!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Hmmmm I am hooked, keep us up to date, like the old school figures too.
    (They are really old GW IG I think?)

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks.  Yes, old GW IG, I love those old figs.  The figs on the left and right in the pic both have head swaps, but are GW poses.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Finally posted a couple of post-apoc games on my blog.

A brief AAR at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/12/after-first-encounter.html

and

“A Visit with the Scavs”

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-visit-with-scavs.html

Hope they might be of some interest, thanks for looking.

irishserb

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Both good AAR’s! Love your set up!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks KB, been having fun with it.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool!

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I like those a lot. Good sense of locality and “believable” geography with the terrain set-up. Interesting also to see a non-combat AAR.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Okay, posted one more before the holidays are over.  “The Ambush” story and pics are posted on my blog at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-ambush.html

Hopefully of some interest, thanks for looking.

irishserb

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I like it, thanks again Irishserb !

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

Great setting. Great narrative. Great characters. Subscribing.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Hi, I just posted my latest post-apoc update on my blog.  As the dice would have it, it ended up just being a story, rather than a battle.  “The Old Man and the turtle” is located at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-old-man-and-turtle.html

Hope it might be of some interest, thanks for looking.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I liked the story and love the Mesa terrain you made.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Agreed, that is a good story. And now I want to know what’s in the box. It’s REALLY bugging me!
    Also, what is the Chupacabra based on?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I love that dudes home, smells just right for PA imo.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks for the comments, sorry I didn’t get back here sooner.

Chupacabra is scratchbiuld from sheet styrene.  The back story is that is was a pre- event APC converted from parts at military depos possessed by the confederation as a scout vehicle.

The shape of it was probably most inspired by Humber armored cars of WW2 more than anything else.

As far as to what is in the box, I’m hoping that we find out soon.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

A couple of new stories finally posted on my blog, the first introduces a new faction with just background fluff, no pics:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/06/finding-new-home-meeting-1-of-3.html

The second post features an encounter as the adventure begins:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/06/finding-new-home-escape-2-of-3.html

Thanks for looking, hope it might be of some interest.

irishserb

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Great AAR and the terrain is so beuatiful!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

This is really great stuff dude!  I am loving your terrain, that lift-off bunker and all of the sloping bits are excellent.

Thomaston
    Participant

I’m really jealous of the miniatures and board you have at your disposal.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.  Here is the latest post, a pretty ugly fight:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/06/finding-new-home-life-and-death-in.html

Thanks for looking.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Orks!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Holy poop. Look at the set up.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Dang, that was a rough fight.  And I echo the above, great looking table!

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Just found this. Awesome work and write ups Herb.

Stephen

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Many thanks for the comments.

Here is a little explanation on the ork figs.  They are partially my daughter’s old figs re-purposed for my post apocalypse.  In my game “Greenies” as they are known, can take about three times the amount of wounds or damage as an average human.  They were up against elite troops (roughly two and a half  tiers above normal male humans) with advanced body armor, which is the only reason the Lt’s boys survived.

Here’s an intro I wrote a couple of years back for the Greenies:

“In my PA world there is a race of bipedal humanoid mutants, the result of a bio-weapon research project that was nuked during the apocalyptic event, that are lovingly known by their targets and victims as “Greenies”.

Greenies were to be engineered hybrid organisms, a combination of animal and plant DNA that would produce among other things, a self-sustaining purpose engineered fighting machine. Elements of the design were to be rapid growth to fighting maturity, large scale organ and tissue re-generation, and self-synthesis of food stuffs for sustenance through exposure to light. The program also hoped to facilitate “osmotic” water absorption, to further minimize logistical support and survivability.

The program R&D was conducted in a hardened lab in the south western United States, which was the recipient of an large yield intercontinental surprise on that dark day. The result was that the test specimens rapidly mutated into a plague that has spread across the land, limited mostly by the need to closely follow waterways. They manifest as intelligent, resourceful killing machines with the single purpose of exterminating humans.

Though information is limited, it is known that Greenies have a two stage life-cycle, starting from seed as a rooted plants which develop a seed pod. The pod produces one or more seeds and a juvenile greenie that reaches maturity in a matter of weeks. Greenies are raised in “gardens” in greenie “villages”.

The villages are always located along rivers, streams or lakes, and manifest as a sort of base consisting of one or more gardens, and facilities for making weapons and training greenies in the use of the weapons. They are capable of complex engineering and production of weapons and war materials, have good tactical sense, seem to be able to communicate verbally as well as some sort of telepathic or other means undetectable to humans, and have been known to sing and laugh during attacks. Not much is known about their social structure or culture if such a thing even exists. It is not known if they have families, how they are educated or parented, etc.etc.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

The last instalment of the story of the Lt’s team has been posted:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/07/finding-new-home-home-at-last-3-of-3.html

Thanks for looking.

irishserb

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

The settlement had three times the men, and the Lt’s team had no cover.  But the dice made this an encounter, not a battle, and created opportunity for a new storyline.  Not sure what the future will hold for the Lt, his team, and the settlement, but for now they will rest, continue to heal, and the adventures in the wastes will move elsewhere.

Coolio. Good turn of events.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Well handled Herb. If 1 in 10 encounters of this nature were to go the way most games or movies do there would be no one left at all, let alone enough to rebuild civilization. People will be scared, hurt and trigger happy but, if things are to go on, they would mostly have to be accepting. Good work.

Stephen

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Glad the guys found a new home.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Cheers for posting this, really cool reading!

Do you have any plans for more adventures in the after?

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Oh yeah, I’ve got all kinds of stuff lined up.  Going to do a sort of mini-campaign within the bigger campaign, focused around crew of the “Goat” (from previous stories), which will introduce more factions and intertwine some of their storylines.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Can’t wait to see it.  I’m liking what you’re doing a LOT! (except for the greenies to be honest, they sort of jarred the setting for me)

Get that GOAT out on the road!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Out of curiosity, is it the ork figs or the mutated critter idea that bothers you?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I think it’s because I felt like you had a setting that is very realistic and gritty, and the greenies are a sort of 40k wonkiness that pushes it to a pulp/opera vibe.  It just aught me off guard.  I mean, I loved the supermutants in Fallout, and they too are a gov experiment, but the spore grown full intelect greenies thing upset the setting in my mind.

I have always felt that in a PA setting I think mutants are a tried and true necessity, great enemies and maybe even allies, the more civilized ones also being useful to buy items from the deep wastes from, as they can go places that non-mutants just can’t get to without turning into puddles of goo.

Don’t mind me, brother.  Keep playing your game your way, it’s a great read!  I’ll be one the edge of my seat every episode!

Thomaston
    Participant

Same for me, the orks were a little weird. I blur my eyes and pretend they’re skinnier and it kind of work. For the same reason I’ve more interested in the goat, the 3 crew are more in depth characters.

The internet was the last thing the came out of Pandora's box.
    Life's too long.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Appreciate the comments on the orks/greenies.

Back when my daughter played, we didn’t really play Warhammer, so they never took on the GW character.  More of a Tokien thing for her; evil, but not fricken goofy.  They were green, because my older orcs were kind of a greyish putrid flesh color, and she liked the bright color as a child, plus, we could go to a store and buy them.

Anyway, they will show up from time to time, but they are only one of 22 factions, and don’t play a big part in most of the storylines.

Thanks for the input.

Thomaston
    Participant

Don’t take my feedback too seriously. It’s kind of like seeing Brad Pitt is a movie and thinking here’s Joe Black in another bank heist and aging in reverse.

The internet was the last thing the came out of Pandora's box.
    Life's too long.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

22 factions!?!?!  Holy smokes!  That is impressive as all get-out. I’d love to hear about them!  Will you be making a post about them and the world, or will we be kept in suspense by a slow reveal as they appear in your posts?

I sent a buddy of mine to your blog, and he just about lost his mind over the post with the delivery to the hermit’s mesa!  He was flipping out over all of the unanswered questions, you really hooked him good!  He’s a lurker sort, but stories like that one will probably get him drawn into posting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.