Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi After: Tales of the Post Apocalypse on my Blog

This topic contains 70 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

22 factions is mightily impressive, no doubt about it. I’d second the call for a background post, it would be great to find out at least a few facts about them all!

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

I am going to put in a dissenting voice here as to revealing your factions. If your AARs are going to be as good as the ones so far I would rather read their stories, even over a few parts. Then fill in the gaps, flesh them out for us after introducing them.

I also found the greenies jarring. Probably because they seemed so overpowering at first. I did not see them as 40K-ish so much as biologically unsound(?). Plant men with high metabolisms and intelligence (also a big user of energy) seems a contradiction. I also come from a PA background from long ago but that is through Morrow Project which has a number of mutants but with some thought towards their evolution. You have done the same which makes them more real.

Keep up the AARs and stories. Thank you.

Stephen

Thomaston
    Participant

If you decide to do a background post please pout a spoiler warning at the beginning or preferably do it from the point of one of the characters, it’s what i loved so much about the Goat episodes.

Tired is enough.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

It would be terribly challenging for me to present an overall background for the various factions.  I keep a folder of notes, which currently amounts to something like 48 pages (last time I counted, probably more now) for the various factions; thoughts about leaders, characters, locations, terrain, vehicles, cultural aspects, manners of dress, diet, available medicine, etc.  You can’t imagine the goofy stuff that passes through my brain during my down time at work.  Anyway, crunching down the overview into something short enough for a single, or even a few, posts would be really hard for me to do.  And, it probably would detract from the quality of the stories about the adventures as well, though who really knows.

I have various storyline ideas, but as these are all impacted by the dice and games.  Things can change a lot by the time the faction or event hits the table.  I’m hesitant to jump the gun on something that might be radically re-written, or written out of the “script” by the dice, before we get to it.  Also, introduction of new factions and adventures is somewhat dependent on my ability to get figs painted and things built.  It is possible that some things will never get onto the table, so I don’t want to spend to much time cleaning up details for introductions of things that don’t manifest in the games.

_____

Originally, my intent was to only tell the stories through the eyes of the characters.  But, I’ve quickly discovered that, that can be quite challenging, as I can’t always find ways to include relevant details that the character might not care about, or even be aware of in the story.  I expect that usually, the stories will be through the eyes of a character, but sometimes, I’ll have to cut corners and present it differently.

_____

“Biologically unsound”  That is so perfect.  Oh my God, you cannot imagine how much I struggled with the “science” behind Greenies.  My nature is such, that as I am creating (or whatever you want to call it, as I don’t think I’ve ever had an original thought) my PA world, the little voice in my head  is going, “Right! How the expletive does that happen!!”.  (And why is the little voice in my head Sam Elliot??)

At one point, I’m sitting there, looking at the figs, and the question pops into my head, “They’re all dudes.  How do they reproduce?”  Yeah, I needed to work that out.  So we got “greenie pods” from rooted plants.  Otherwise, it just got so…  biologically unsound.

Greenies were very much a compromise.  They weren’t my first choice regarding mutants (quite the opposite in fact).  And, I’m actually highly critical of how mutations are presented in gaming of this type.  But… I have maybe 150 ork figs and some vehicles and whatnot that could be used, and that would save me some money and a bunch of time.  So, after considering why the shape, why the green, why they appear at all, I came up with a bit of a stretch, and told myself, “just go with it”.  After all, I’m just playing games.  But yeah, just how does that plant-animal thing work?  Nature finds a way??

_____

Here is another thing, some people may recognize places that I reference from time to time in the games, and they might think, “there’s no mountains there “, or ” how’d he get a river there”, etc.  I mean, some things could change between now and the “After”, but we aren’t going to grow a mountain range in the great plains and the Mississippi River will probably never run through New Mexico.  But, you might see some things in my games that just ain’t right (Greenies?).    I just want to apologize in advance.  I’m just trying to get games on the table, and flooding parts of New Mexico might help.

_______

Again, thanks for all of the feedback.  I was really apprehensive to share my PA world at all.  I’m not much of a writer, and just had no idea if there would be any kind of interest, so you guys have been great.  Even the couple of unfavorable comments that I received elsewhere, offered me some things to thing about in presenting the stories.

I’m hoping to start the next series of games next Friday, so hopefully I’ll will post something new by the end of next weekend.

Thanks again,

irishserb

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

It’s an impressive feat of worldbuilding this, I’m glad you decided to share it with us!

I totally understand about not wanting to tip your hand, I sometimes think I throw away more ideas for things in my own various games than I end up using.

I’ll be awaiting next weekends post with baited breath then. 🙂

greg954
    Participant

Been playing catch up on this. Wordbuilding and story telling is certainly in fashion with us lately. I’ve been seeing some very good wargaming worlds lately. Yours is no exception, well done.

I’m glad you did test the water, so to speak. I really enjoy seeing the all the different worlds people build. Not just the models and minis but the word building that goes with it.

Keep it up!

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

Every time I see an update to this topic I get excited. Your post apoc vision is great. It makes me want to move house so I can have space for 28mm skirmishing.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Every time I see an update to this topic I get excited. Your post apoc vision is great. It makes me want to move house so I can have space for 28mm skirmishing.

Ha! Your posts make me keep thinking of 6mm skirmish and what can be accomplished.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

A while back I roughed out a mini-campaign within my bigger PA campaign.  It is a recon mission set around the crew of the Goat (their armored car) exploring the eastern frontier.  I expect that it will yield a half dozen scenarios or so, and finally got around to posting the intro to it on my blog  (no pics, just background fluff):

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/10/charlies-journal-long-range-recon.html

Hope it might be of some interest, thanks for looking.

irishserb

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks, I’ve been waiting to read more about the crew of the Pig.

Tired is enough.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool, thanks Dude!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

It has taken way too long, but I finally got the Charlie’s Journal-Long Range recon: Days 1 and 2 posted on my blog at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2018/12/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-days.html

Here’s a pic from just before the ambush on day 2:

Thanks for looking.

Happy New Year!!

Norm S
    Norm S
    Participant

I just came across this and it looks like I have several ‘chapters’ of good reading ahead of me today – your terrain is really captivating.

http://commanders.simdif.com

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks Norm, glad you liked it.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I got days 3 and 4 of the Long Range Recon posted today on my blog.  Day three was pretty uneventful and is at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-day-3_5.html

Day 4 was a little more exciting:

Day 4 post located at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-day-4.html

Hope it is of interest, and thanks for looking.

irishserb

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Yay!  Glad you’ve gotten back to it, can’t wait to read them!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Days 5 and 6 of the Long Range Recon added to my blog at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-day-6.html

Another update tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Loving the mixture of action and mundane, makes it feel very much alive.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I like the story, and that building is very cool.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks, glad you like it.  Here is the next installment, Contact on day 6 at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/long-range-recon-contact-day-6.html

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool!!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Long Range Recon – Days 7 & 8 has been posted at:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-day-8.html

A little more action than the last few days.

Don’t worry, we’re getting near the end.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I like the fight with the Greenies!!!

willb
    willb
    Participant

Great stories and great scenery.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

the Goat took a shot, but she isn’t down for the count!  A Super Goat (Chupacabra? Boer goat?  Billy Goat?) sounds like an excellent idea, especially since they have no encountered the Greenies and the tech-heads back home can analyze the damages.

I just hope the crew hasn’t developed a taste for canines.  “Lock up your puppers, Panky and Co are in town!”

Thomaston
    Participant

I love reading these. Been waiting for them.
    I like the episode like days. Short and uneventful most days and chaotic and involved in others. Very immersive.
    I’m taking a lot of ideas from this for my own games.

Dog meat is good meat, very lean.

Tired is enough.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

Thanks guys.  Glad the stories are of interest.  I’m always a little apprehensive about sharing my crazy.

“Hide your puppies”, I love that.

Posted the last “episode” of Charlies Long Range Recon on my blog:

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2019/01/charlies-journal-long-range-recon-days.html

Just a wrap up of the journey.

Thanks again for the comments.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It’s been 2 weeks, where’s the next mission?  I need my fiiiiix!!!!

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I’m in manufacturer mode right now, don’t have enough space to be a gamer at the same time, unfortunately.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

We can wait.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’m in manufacturer mode right now

Sweet!  Placing an order now!

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.