Home Forums Medieval Age Of Rædwald -AoS Saxon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven Francis
    Participant

As I had unkindly hijacked another thread I thought it polite to fork this off to a separate one.

So the conversation ended up with “would the Age of Sigmar rules work for a Saxon themed game?”. My view is that the core rules are good enough for something like this, and they are very much focused on simple fun games but does need to use a scenario (or battleplan in the lingo) to get the most from it.

So I see to options.

One: Use the Cities of Sigmar rules and counts as, cutting out the magical stuff. Okay but not really adding much to the themes.

Two: make it up. Yep that’s the biscuit.

So first step is unit sheets…or Warscrolls if you like. So I know nothing about actual Saxon things beyond Sutton Hoo, and The Last Kingdom but the first bits are below…basic core units.

But I need community help on the other bits to drop in…I think two or three characters and a bodyguard unit (Hearthguard??) But what would make them different to each other? I have not looked at any other historical games so not sure what they do but any ideas?

ian pillay
    Participant

I think this is a great idea. Age of Sigmar Ancients. I mean there was a Warhammer ancients after all.

Tally-Ho!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I love how you have run amok with this idea!  It might make for an interesting alternative to something like SAGA where specialty dice or something similar are needed.

I’m not sure how different, or even if units and champions should be different in this case.  And that’s just the thing: is the base part of AoS firm enough to stand alone as rules for absolute vanilla armies where tactics would make the difference, or does it require all the bells and whistles to be something that works?  How much does 1 extra or less point of strength or defense or whatever make a difference?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Steven Francis
    Participant

As there is no regiment blocks movement is not as telling a thing as WFB or similar block based games. I am roping a friend in who has some Saxon and ancient British minis so will try and give it a spin at some point. I think or or two changes to units does change them to make it less rock/paper/scissors. I think a bodyguard and leader added to the above, with units sized between 5 to 10 models should feel like a fun game though may not be super in-depth.

The special rules per unit does five each one a bit of a clear role. The archers need to be well placed to not waste time moving, and will fold quickly when attacked in close combat. The Ceorls in a shield wall would hold ground well and against another similar unit will hold ground and need to have spears to put on the attacks to break through. The Thegns are line breakers, but you would want to keep them safe till then can charge the shield wall and break through.

Andy cole
    Participant

Coo I’ll dive in here and chip in Steve. I think the big difference between more elite and green troops should be morale and armour. A hearthguard unit should give a morale bonus to nearby troops instead of being killing machines.

I don’t think the archers should have musicians and banners, but maybe a special ability that allows them to evade charges/combat

Andy cole
    Participant

I sent you something for your refrence Steve, if you have a copy of a template I’ll happily get stuck into a bit of this

Steven Francis
    Participant

I use this site for the Warscrolls

https://runebrush.pa-sy.com/warscroll/

Just fill in the blanks basically. One thing I found was that the export to jpg DD not work properly, it always cut off the right hand side. I ended up just screenshoting and cropping for ease.

I have ammended the archers quickly.

Steven Francis
    Participant

Not sure the horn blower rule is clear enough..the intent is that the enemy unit roles for charge, then the archers can try to evade which basically increases the charge distance needed by the d3 inches. This makes long charges riskier, but a close charge should still be a sure thing.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I like that, perhaps it should have added “…move back D3 inches in an attempt to evade the charge prior to moving the charging unit.”  Or some such?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Steven Francis
    Participant

So few more tweaks to both the archers and warriors…

Steven Francis
    Participant

So need to do a little more on this with hero’s and the elite unit… But there is now the 3rd edition rules out and I think the change from 4 to about 40 pages of rules is interesting. One thing that I would pull over is the basics of the command points in the new edition of AoS and that just adds the need for maybe two characters, one leader and then another to help set the commands in action. Adds more to the game without to much fantasy and some more tactical decision making.

ian pillay
    Participant

This is looking great. Downloaded the latest rules yesterday. I noticed the page increases as well but it did feel more finished than the previous editions. I might even give them a go!

Tally-Ho!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.