Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Air Drying Clay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sane Max
    Participant

I own a large block of this stuff, and it’s getting elderly. Before it goes manky I was trying to think of things to use it for. I saw an old article about making SF Terrain using Papier Mache, in which he used old plastic things as molds for buildings, and I suddenly realised it might work well for air drying clay as well.

Does the stuff warp? I bought it for a few tiny pieces, and have never used it for bigger stuff. tips?

Mike
    Keymaster

I found it cracks quite a bit when used in larger quantities.

If memory serves.

willz
    Participant
    Geof Downton
    Participant

I have not found it to warp, but it does shrink as it dries, so the base/thing it is stuck to may warp. Also, as Mike says, it is prone to cracking. It seems to be OK if used to make an object/rock/feature which is glued to the project when dry.

As for making moulds, I don’t know, but have used it as the moulded material in press moulds with some success.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I reckon it would work.

There are two 28mm size building I made some years ago – air drying clay over foam core board – here

I haven’t used them for a couple of years but I just had a peek and they haven’t cracked, and don’t appear to have warped either.

Edit- tips?

It’s a long time ago but I seem to remember using a fair amount of water to smooth it out over the foam core and I didn’t complete either of them in one sitting from memory. So maybe that allowed smaller areas to dry/cure without cracking/warping. Beyond that it was a bit messy but otherwise unremarkable – no surges of repressed horror at trying to recall what I did/happened -so I don’t think it was hard to do.

Sane Max
    Participant

I reckon it would work. There are two 28mm size building I made some years ago – air drying clay over foam core board – here I haven’t used them for a couple of years but I just had a peek and they haven’t cracked, and don’t appear to have warped either. Edit- tips? It’s a long time ago but I seem to remember using a fair amount of water to smooth it out over the foam core and I didn’t complete either of them in one sitting from memory. So maybe that allowed smaller areas to dry/cure without cracking/warping. Beyond that it was a bit messy but otherwise unremarkable – no surges of repressed horror at trying to recall what I did/happened -so I don’t think it was hard to do.

They look super-duper. Here’s the post about making scenery using Papier Mache. I think it turns out very well.

http://roebeast.blogspot.com/2015/04/making-wargaming-buildings-from-papier.html

Sane Max
    Participant

well, air drying clay was a wash – too fragile. But the mold I tested it with – some sort of home made frozen Ice Lolly tray – was interesting, so I made a test piece. I used the most basic Papier Mache, egg box and flour – and it was very coarse, but even as a test-piece the result is quite pleasing. It’s too small for me, as I don’t actually have any 15mm SF Stuff, and because it’s so coarse I will not be using this one – I have given it a quick drybrush and that’s that – but I have made some finer quality Papier Mache and will make another, I think it might pass as a mosque for my 15mm Anglo-Sudan wars stuff. I will let you know how that turns out 🙂

bobm
    Participant

Reinforce the clay with florist wire, rose wire or brass rod and it won’t warp or crack.  Well it will crack but they’ll be scarcely noticeable hairline cracks rather than gaping chasms.  If a thick sections reinforce both faces and both directions.

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.