Home Forums WWII Airfix Battles solo

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a copy of Airfix Battles. So far, I’ve only played the first scenario, and was frankly underwhelmed.

If I play any more, it’ll be solo. I’ve seen that there are some solo rules, so I’m wondering if others have tried it solo, and what they thought?

Military history author

Keymaster

What was up, the scenario or the rules, or worse than that, both?

Participant

The rules. It was the first scenario in the book, and designed to be simple to enable you to learn the basic rules. Later scenarios introduce more rules.

For me, Airfix Battles competes with Memoir ’44. I’m not a fan of complex rules, and Airfix Battles isn’t complex per se. But it is more complex than Memoir ’44, without seeming to add anything.

Military history author

Participant

I picked up a copy of Airfix Battles before Christmas. I am not familiar with any other WWII rules so can’t make any comparisons. For a rule set branded as an introductory wargame, I must admit it did seem complex. I have only played one solo game (the introductory scenario) with a couple of tanks thrown in so I could try out the armour rules. After a few turns I had things running smoothly, however I was planning to run a game with my 10-year old son, but I think the complexity level might be too much for younger kids.

Personally, I don’t like grids – if I was to develop this for solo gaming I would ditch the grid and convert movement and ranges to cm distances. I did read on the Modiphius forum that they had parted ways with Airfix and were going to develop a more generic wargame with this system called “Open Battles”, but there hasn’t been any news on this lately.

I hope to have another stab at this system at some point in 2018……

Participant

Gary, I’d also hoped it would be something I could play with my 10-year old son. He plays Memoir ’44 and WWII One Hour Wargames with me sometimes, but I think Airfix Battles would be too complex for him.

I think the other problem was that the rules weren’t always very clear. I suspect it’s going to gather dust on the shelf until I eventually get around to selling it 🙁

Military history author

Participant

I agree, clarity of the rules could have been better. Maybe I should try Memoir ’44 or One Hour Wargames as you suggest – although they will be competing with an xbox one for the young lad’s attention!

Participant

Memoir ’44 has a note in the rules about playing with younger children – basically, they suggest not using some of the cards. He can play that and One Hour Wargames without any difficulty. I’ve recently got some 20mm Napoleonic figures, so at some point we’ll find out if he enjoys Napoleonics as much as WWII 🙂

Military history author

I’ve read a couple of overviews of the rules and glanced through the text once.  I have to agree that Airfix Battles is not really an intro game.  I think some of us forgot what an intro game is supposed  to look like. 😉

My son likes Memoir OK.  I happily play it with him on occasion when he wants to play a game.  We tried out OHW when he was 7 or 8 (I don’t remember which) and the scenario was a Dark Age fight.  His comment was that he did not like that once you got into a fight you nothing else really happened until something was destroyed.  I was thinking “So it does simulate Dark Age Battles well!”

The OHW WW2 rules work well.  As well try out The Portable Wargame and Developing the Portable Wargame.  Both can be had from Lulu.  Those are some fine wargame rules and can be adapted to various periods without too many modifications.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

I’ve got The Portable Wargame, but haven’t tried the rules yet. I wasn’t at all convinced by a read-through, but I might have to give them a try when I get time.

Military history author

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.