Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations AK-47 with singley based figures

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some time ago I considered using AK-47 in my African Imagi-Nation (see my other thread) and discarded it mainly because I base my 20mm figures singly.  I see from another thread that it is possible to use single figures in AK-47.

Does anyone who does this have any tips for me?  I am still looking for a decent set of rules for my games.

Participant

Hi Alan, I’ve only played AK-47 with multiple-based figures, but I can’t think of one reason why you couldn’t do it with individual figures. It really won’t change anything in the game either way.

AK-47 has been my go-to rule book for almost any kind of modern, irregular warfare. It’s simple, versatile, and it takes well to modifications or house rules. That being said, I’m looking forward to trying out Warfare in the Age of Madness, which a friend recently bought. You may want to consider those rules as well.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

Participant

Thanks for the response.  I have read the rules over again and can see how to do most of the game but the rules on deploying infantry bases will take a lot of policing without set bases.  I use 20mm figures so I can see “groups” of 3 or 4 figures being used but what making sure that the “2 up” formations specified work?  Do you suggest just splitting the force into fairly flexible “groups” rather than fixed bases?

Participant

Have you thought about using single based troops on sabot bases ??? I did that with Sword and the Flame, years ago.

Participant

Have you thought about using single based troops on sabot bases ??? I did that with Sword and the Flame, years ago.

I know what a sabot is and after an internet search I discover that a “Sabot base” is a version of the age old “movement tray” .  I had considered using figures blue-tacked to card bases because I have used that method for medieval and ancient armies regularly and when I started out doing Napoleonics in the 70s we all used sticky back floor tiles as bases to move lines of troops.

What spoils these for me is the look.  For packed masses of troops or lines of close order troops they are fine.  But for forces using flexible tactics and dispersed deployments I just think the look is wrong.  OK for advancing over open ground, looks odd in towns or defending linear objects.  To me at least.

I suppose I could use blue-tack on card bases for movement and remove the figures for those in field defences, built up areas, buildings, etc.

I think I’ll give it a try.

Participant

Or you could use metal bases and sheet magnets as the sabot/movement tray.

Participant

Or you could use metal bases and sheet magnets as the sabot/movement tray.

Certainly could.  Though I’ll give it a try with blue-tack first.

Participant

Sure give it a try.

Participant

I assume that you play AK-47.   Would I need to change the base size for the bigger figures and if I do would it change anything else in the rules?

20mm are 25% bigger so do I need to increase everything by 25%?  Though for the trial games I’ll not change anything.

Participant

I’ve played AK 47 1ed in both 6mm and in 15mm but not 20 mm but didn’t change the ranges .  I like 15mm better than 6mm.  Just me, I game every thing but Naval and Air in 15mm that way all my terrain and buildings work for most time periods.

But you own the rules and can do what ever you want with them!! It’s all about the fun!!!

Participant

I like 20mm for much the same reasons.  Virtually all my modern stuff is that size also my old eyes find 15mm too small to paint – it is hard enough with 20mm!

Thanks for the input.

Participant

Sure any time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.