Home Forums Sci Fi 15mm Sci-Fi Alien Squad Leader 3.0: Human Imperials vs. Outlaw Gang

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Smith 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jason Smith
    Participant

Continuing my streak of sad, lonely minis gaming, I offer you the angst-ridden tale of “Alien Squad Leader 3.0: Human Imperials vs. Outlaw Gang”!

https://redplayerone.blogspot.com/2019/01/alien-squad-leader-30-human-imperials.html

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

I liked it. It seemed to play well. The two sides operating very differently was a good thing. Are there any other types of ‘armies’?

Jason Smith
    Participant

I liked it. It seemed to play well. The two sides operating very differently was a good thing. Are there any other types of ‘armies’?

It depends on what you mean by “type”. There are 21 different army lists, and they’re all kind of different, from the Rebel Alliance, to the all robot army, to the hive mind, to greys and more.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Jason Smith.
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great write up!  I had never heard how this game actually plays, and the different armies sounds like a pretty good boon.  How would you compare it to other unit-on-bases games you’ve played?  (Like maybe Patrol Angis, 40k, etc)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jason Smith
    Participant

Great write up! I had never heard how this game actually plays, and the different armies sounds like a pretty good boon. How would you compare it to other unit-on-bases games you’ve played? (Like maybe Patrol Angis, 40k, etc)

I’ve actually never played any “units-on-bases” games before. Even Patrol Angis I played with just clumps of dudes. That said, apparently this is a HotT spin-off, so it has that kind of feel, maybe? The facing of your squads is important, and there’s an emphasis on forcing units to retreat or flee, in an almost pre-gunpowder kind of way.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah, I see.  Sort of an odd adaptation to sci-fi, but goats for floats I guess!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

alex self
    Participant

Hi, I’m the games designer. I really enjoyed the write-up, Jason, especially turn 4, which made me laugh out loud! Yes, it is not a “literal” battlefield, but the game was built for fun, competitive play, being inspired by a mixture of HOTT and Warmaster.

Furthermore, the simplicity of the rules mechanics is meant to enable games more typically 150 – 200 points, which is more like 15 – 20 stands. Experienced players can rattle through the turns quite fast.

There is a Facebook page that features oodles of battle reports (annotated photo-stories with commentaries), if that tickles your fancy, just keep scrolling downwards to find them, including many 200 point games with big armies conducted in 3 hours.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1212354295526630

Jason Smith
    Participant

High praise!

I’ve already applied to the Facebook group. Just waiting. The system really is fun, and I think I might have gotten you at least two sales from my report! 🙂

I’m sure that if I had a few more games under my belt (and wasn’t trying to play both sides while taking photos) it would have flown right along. It’s actually inspired me to invest in more figures so I can do a proper 150 – 200 point game.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Though it;’s a good sign that it gives a fun game even at a much lower points value than the intended one.

There’s not that many “stand-based” scifi rules out there. This AAR definitely made me interested in picking up the rulebook.

Plus, despite the games I tend to write, I do enjoy a “packaged” game sometimes with specific set-up rules, army lists and all that. It’s a different kind of experience that can be incredibly rewarding.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Erik Walton
    Participant

I’ve had this for a while now, bought large bases and everything but have yet to play it (sorry Alex!) It never occurred to me though that the terrain was more areas than physical pieces; I was wracking my brain trying to figure out the sizing for the woods, buildings and what not to be able to play. So that second paragraph in turn 1 is enough for me to get re-interested in giving the game a try again.

And yeah, I’ll probably be running solo myself. At least no matter what happens I’ll win!

Oh that's my theme music, it's on now!

Jason Smith
    Participant

Yay! I helped somebody! I hope you have fun. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.