Home Forums Air and Sea Naval All at Sea – Fleet Build, Battle of Camperdown, Part Three

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Work has progressed on my project to realise the Battle of Camperdown in 1:700 scale with the addition of three British 74-gun third rates, part of Vice-Admiral Onslow’s Leeward Division and including his flagship, HMS Monarch.

In the post, as well as looking at the careers of the three ships featured, Monarch, Russell and Montagu, I take a look at the career of Admiral Onslow prior to the battle and the signal book in use by the British, Lord Howe’s signals that he perfected prior to the Glorious First of June.

If you would like to know more then you can follow the link to JJ’s.

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2023/11/all-at-sea-battle-of-camperdown-project.html

JJ

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Participant

How many British 74s have you built and painted now? You must be approaching two dozen. Your models are fabulous, as always.

Thank you for the time that you put into your posts, which I greatly enjoy reading. 🙂

You could hardly have picked three more distinguished British ships. As you rightly note, many of the older ships that fought at Camperdown had long and distinguished battle records from their service in the American War of Independence. The Monarch, Russell and Montagu saw more action than almost any other British ships of the line of that era. By my reckoning, only the 50-gun Isis, which took part in all five of Suffren’s battles with Hughes, was present at more fleet actions than the Montagu.

Participant

Hi AH,

Thank you, and glad you are enjoying my ramblings.

As for painted and rigged 74’s it’s a few more than two dozen with the additions to the Trafalgar collection for Cape St Vincent and Camperdown, and if you include the models built this year for a couple of pals from the Devon Club it’s probably over three, nearly four, so I can practically build, paint and rig one of these models in my sleep!

I love going through the history of these ships, which for me really gives them a character when playing with them on the tabletop, with a special affection for my Devonport ships like the Royal Sovereign, Caesar and Foudroyant, and you are right, Adam’s Nore Fleet had some hardy veterans among it’s ranks in terms of ships and men mixed in with a few less well tested comrades, and it’s interesting that ships from the London dockyards form the core, with the additional cohort of former East Indiamen acquired at the start of the war, and that they very often keep popping up in other North Sea and Baltic operations before and after.

With regards to Isis, Suffren and Hughes, I may well return to her and those two gentleman in a future project – more anon

JJ

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.