Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General All quiet?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Snoddy 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

All quiet on the FiveMeninNormandy blog, no update for about two months now.   I hope this means you have been working furiously Ivan and Hammer of Democracy plus Squad Hammer tool kit have imminent release dates, but I can understand if they don’t.  So can you give an update on these two projects?  Is the blog still the best place for news?

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

A new blog post was going to go up this week, but it’ll be today instead 🙂

In short, our lives got thrown upside down and we’re just getting back on top, but Hammer is very close and the Toolkit will follow afterwards.

The upside is that the delay has given more time for playtest feedback to come in for Hammer of Democracy, which will no doubt help the final product.

Appreciate the concern mate.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Also, there is something brewing for the *hammer system by an associate, which I think will appeal to you specifically, actually 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, now my mind is in overdrive trying to work out what something that appeal to me specifically could be…

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Any news on Squad Hammer Tool Kit?  I keep seeing all these other projects in the works and wonder if development of Squad Hammer has stalled.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Sorry, no, it’s not stalled but things do move around.

The delay is due to three parts:

First, I was worried that the toolkit was becoming too stiff and difficult to work with, in a way that didn’t fit the game system. So a lot had to be reworked to just be more friendly.

Second, I was kicking around whether it’d be best broken into smaller booklets or done as one large one.

Finally, I wanted ample time for HoD feedback and ideas to filter in, to evaluate which of those systems would be a good pick. F.x. Support points is something that almost everyone has been excited about.

Nordic Weasel Games

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Any news on Squad Hammer tool kit?  Is it being worked on or now pushed behind other projects?  Is the special project that might appeal to me still on the go? I am guessing maybe something connected to a galaxy, far, far away?

Skullhamma
    Skullhamma
    Participant

Same question as Tim. I’m highly interested in the tool kit as well. Will it have a revamped points calculation system? I found the guidelines in the original Squad Hammer a little bit rough on the edges and not that clearly written. The rest is just great.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

The toolkit will be delayed for a while yet. I still haven’t resolved the difficulties I spoke of above and me trying to force it only resulted in sub-optimal material, unfortunately.
    I’m sorry this has ended up dragging out. As I said before, in part its because I didn’t anticipate that HoD would be so well received, which led me to go back and re-evaluate everything about Squad Hammer and its core aspects.

Additionally, the RPG project I am working on has ended up being a tentacle monster of time sink, that I did not anticipate to be so extensive.

The “special project” is a fan project that is definitely tied to a galaxy far far away. I’m seeing if I might get a hold of it.

So holding pattern for now, which I apologize for.
    On a more immediate note however: I have largely come to the conclusion that the Support Points mechanic should be backported into Squad Hammer Core as an official system.
    What was originally intended as a fairly separate add-on has come I think to really emphasize the strengths of the system.

How do you two feel about that? If so, that’s something that can happen fairly immediately so an updated version can be made available.

Nordic Weasel Games

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Yes, I would be hugely disappointed if support points did not make it into Squad Hammer and yes I think they are a core mechanic.  They are a unique selling point for the system, what makes it different to other rule sets.  Being able to tweak how good a side is by activation dice AND support dice and then feed that back into points (as detailed in Hammer of Democracy) is brilliant.

I wasn’t sure what direction you intended for Squad Hammer, you shared a revised version with me just over a year ago and it is very different to Hammer of Democracy.  At the moment I am playing Star Wars using HOD as the basis with some minor adjustments and lots of renaming!  To a large extent I think all pulp sci fi is world war 2 in space with extra bits.

If this is the intended direction of travel I have lots of ideas on how to convert things in HOD to sci fi and what sci fi elements need to be added and how some of them could be done.  More than happy to send them to you directly if they would help at all.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Right, so HoD basically changed everything and I think in hindsight, any future work would do better to be based on that or as compatible to it as possible.

I’d be very interested in hearing what you have in mind.

Nordic Weasel Games

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Great, I will put some thoughts down over the weekend and email them to you.  Not sure how coherent or useful they will be…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.