Home Forums General Conventions and Shows Alumwell (WMMS) 2020 wargame show report

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

Alumwell (WMMS) 2020 wargame show (UK).

Had a very enjoyable visit today. Comments and Photographs up on the blog.

Link
    http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/03/alumwell-show-wmms-2020.html

willz
    Participant

Thanks Norm for an informative and photo rich report.

deephorse
    Participant

Yes, thanks for that.

Trust science, not the scientists.

Norm S
    Participant

As always, thank you both for supporting these sort of article posts. Sometimes it is difficult here to gauge how much interest there is in this sort of thing.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

As always an interesting post on a show Norm. I agree with knowing about how many people are interested in what we post.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Good points – I sometimes feel it is a bit odd posting ‘good report’ and nothing else, but I completely understand that it is useful to know your work is appreciated and has sparked interest.

This has done both – keep ’em coming.

Oh yes…

Good report!

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks.

Steve, I know for example when I post at the Lead Adventure Forum, how many times a post has been clicked on. This has given me an understanding on what is worth posting, so for example there, I don’t post anything about boardgames or now on anything that is to do with 10mm or smaller.

Thanks Guy, Including travel, I spent 7 hours in relation to the show. I then spent 6 hours preparing and editing my post, plus the ongoing time of answering all comments so blog commitment for me involves significant ‘spare’ hours and I am coming to a conclusion that I need to target my output better – or perhaps just enjoy those 6 hours looking through and using what I just bought at the show instead. It may well be that a modern audience does not want column style postings, but would be happy with just a single picture of two.

For years my internet output has been fairly strong, but my enthusiasm to post is reducing and this year has seen my first decline in blog activity, both in terms of number of posts and the depth of each post.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

It is hard to maintain the commitment to Blog, as mentioned in my end of year review. To record my games, the taking of notes and ‘photos impacts on game time as well as concentration. Then the AAR can take as long, if not longer than the game itself. For the moment I will carry on as before, but it is getting harder…

Mike
    Keymaster

Nice work.
    One thing some people have asked for is a like button here on TWW, so that people can click it to show they like the topic.
    But I decided against it as I feel it discourages any sort of discourse.

Anyway, yes thanks for sharing and I especially like these shots:

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I understand the time and effort of maintaining a blog.

I don’t have a wargames blog – I have a wargames wiki – http://corrigenda.pbworks.com/w/page/16520293/FrontPage which is very infrequently updated. I do however have a writing blog which I am trying to keep much more lively, but writing about writing and doing the writing itself is chuffing hard work. (feel free to pop along to either – search for Guy Farrish Writes for the writing one – warning – virtually nothing of wargaming or military history interest).

For blogs that involve lots of photography, embedded video and factual reporting where you want to be accurate about whose game was which, I can believe it must be very time consuming.

As for reports on forums, I could imagine that some have such distinct focuses on aspects of the hobby that posting anything falling outside that narrow band will feel a bit like shouting into a void.

I like forums because they do (did?/should?) give a very broad church view of what is going on out there. I have a fairly eclectic taste (grasshopper mind?) and rapidly get bored with admiring one particular facet of the hobby to the exclusion of all others.

So to everyone who does put material up here; painting, sculpting, terrain making, game designing, playing the games, research, general thoughts about the social place and role of wargaming – thanks. I love reading them all, and should say so more often. Apologies for not doing but your efforts really are appreciated.

(Very keen on 10mm and below and boardgames!).

Norm S
    Participant

Guy your Wiki idea is very good, I have been along to check your pages. I do a similar thing with my Commanders site, which is a paid for  bit of web space. I don’t track visitors there, but rather do as you do with the Wiki. Over the last couple of years I have considered dropping it, but increasingly see it as a potential future bolt hole, just to host and post short snippet stuff. It does not have any comment boxes activated and people can either visit or not and that matters less to me. It is a sort of place where I can write for myself without the issue of ‘doing a good job for readers / followers’ etc.

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks Mike, each of those are smaller than a dining table 🙂

deephorse
    Participant

Dining table eh?  Tomorrow I’m running and playing Sword Beach in 20mm on a dining table.  Things are a bit compressed.  There’s no sea for one thing!

Norm S
    Participant

That was my default entry into wargaming, Airfix on the family table. 🙂 Hope you have a blast.

In the UK, I wonder what the balance is between ‘dining table’ and ‘kitchen table’ in homes these days. The former being typically 5′ x 3′ and above, getting nearer to that apparent gaming standard of the 6′ x 4′, with the latter being nearer to a 4′ x 3′.

jeffers
    Participant

Family table? Luxury! I had to play on the floor. 🥺

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

deephorse
    Participant

I took a few photos.  I’ll see if I can manage to make a post with them shortly.  Two of us had some fun.  Our third player  had just about the worst luck imaginable.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.