Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War Altar of Freedom question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Some years back I got the Altar of Freedom rules and played two scenarios, Shiloh and Champion Hill. Our 15mm ACW figures are mounted on 1″ wide metal bases. With four such bases on magnetic 2″ square sabots, the game looked fine, twelve 15mm figures in two ranks for each brigade.

But, in both cases the combat consisted of indecisive shoving back and forth. The Confederates got nowhere at Shiloh and Grant’s legions stalled at Champion Hill. Perhaps you chaps who play these rules can give me a hint. What was I doing wrong? Why was the combat so indecisive?

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I am going to also post your question on the FB AoF group.</p>

Participant

In my limited experience this is the key question that nobody has got an answer for yet.

All those that I know with a copy of the rules who want to use them have written (significant) changes into them to make them usable.

www.olivercromwell.org; www.battlefieldstrust.com
    6mm wargames group: [email protected]; 2mm wargames group: [email protected]

Replies in FB

“I always tried to use my support/flanks and high value units. I also used my Generals if they were near. In the end it always comes down to the die roll.”

“I would guess they either weren’t searching for flanks, not using high-bonus brigades to spearhead assaults, or making poor use of their artillery. In my games with Zach Morgan those were the three ways we broke through. “Shoving” for position was pretty common otherwise. but then a brigade got knocked out of position and the dominos would start to fall!”

“In my last game close combat from flanks was decisive.”

“I dont mean to sound rude, but considering the ruleset, this question runs REALLY deep. It could be how the turn clock and priority points were managed by the attacker, I could be how they reserved points for after turn adjustments, how strong the units were used to lead attacks and follow up breakthroughs ect. I struggled with this myself and still do. The game is very tricky mentally. I feel you need to think multiple turns ahead and understand how to implement the various generals attributes. I know this feedback is not really helpful, but know your not alone. It is a difficult game to master, but know it is difficult for the opponent as well. Keep cracking on with it and when you achieve a breakthrough you will be overjoyed!”

Yes, lots of shoving.  I house ruled it such that a unit can never recover back to a pristine state.

That helped a little, but i still think the rally/recovery mechanisms are off quite a bit but the rest of the game is great. Units should be good for at most two or three fights and then they are exhausted for the day—even if they win.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

Hmm, sounds like house rules are often used. While I am always capable of making egregious tactical errors, I have been gaming for 60 years and generally seek open flanks and such. As the Union player at Shiloh, by the second turn I could have had breakfast and read the morning paper for all the pressure from the Confederates.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.