Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic An Austrian defeat at Fall-In 2018

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bandit Bandit 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Our first game at Fall-In 2018 pitted a recklessly aggressive Vandamme against a competent but unlucky Hiller while Lannes and Hohenlohe slugged it out to the north.

Pajol’s series of absurdly lucky attacks against the Austrian Avant Garde drove a mile wide gap between the 3rd Hussars providing Hiller’s flank guard, and Radetzky’s infantry division. With his position turned, Hiller found himself in a bad place despite the bulk of his men remaining fresh.

Meanwhile, Hohenlohe had committed Lindeneau’s Grenadier Division against Morand’s infantry on an open plain, while Ulm’s infantry demonstrated against Lannes’s 2nd Division. Morand’s infantry were beat up, but held. The Austrian grenadiers gave as well as they got, but Lannes had brought up Saint Sulpice’s cuirassier division and the exhausted grenadiers weren’t going to hold against the fresh heavies.

With that the Austrians withdrew, a bloody nose only, but a loss all the same.

Complete after action report and a lot more photos in our Gallery.

Rules: ESR Napoleonics (Et sans resultat! Second Edition)
    Miniatures: ESR Box Sets
    Terrain: Battlescale and NOCH

Cheers,

The Bandit

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Thanks for this. I think when you’re talking at this level of tactics, you’re really doing justice to the period.

You mention “luck”. Are you happy with this factor having such an influence or do you see it as a failure?  My personal opinion on the subject mirrors Napoleon’s famous bon mot on lucky generals.

Game looks great too.

donald

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

Thanks for this. I think when you’re talking at this level of tactics, you’re really doing justice to the period. (Personal opinion). Game looks great too. donald

Thank you, that is kind, very glad you enjoy seeing the after action reports. We ran several games so we’ll be posting more over the coming weeks.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

. We ran several games so we’ll be posting more over the coming weeks. Cheers, The Bandit

I’m looking forward to them.

BTW talking about your game’s appearance: the autumnal trees in the forest. This is something I never do because, I think, living for decades in a land of evergreens, it doesn’t occur to me. Do you have some sort of criteria for adding such foliage or do you go by the usually reliable, “it looks right”?

donald

Bandit
    Bandit
    Participant

. We ran several games so we’ll be posting more over the coming weeks. Cheers, The Bandit

I’m looking forward to them. BTW talking about your game’s appearance: the autumnal trees in the forest. This is something I never do because, I think, living for decades in a land of evergreens, it doesn’t occur to me. Do you have some sort of criteria for adding such foliage or do you go by the usually reliable, “it looks right”? donald

Funny enough, the trees you see in this game that look to be autumnal are actually spring trees (they do look like fall colors in the photos but in person you can tell).  For convention learning games we tend to go by a “looks right” standard. This was basically a “somewhere during the Bavarian Spring of 1809” so spring trees were… sorta correct in that they were spring, though Bavaria should have a lot more pines than the mix on this table.

But, to answer what I think you’re asking, when we run historical scenarios rather than effectively ad-hoc games, yes, we try to use spring trees in spring and fall trees in fall, etc…

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.