Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic An Entire French Infantry Division for Black Powder, 3mm

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Abwehrschlacht Abwehrschlacht 4 months ago.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

This is my first French infantry division for Black Powder, made up of two brigades, each of a regiment with regimental artillery.

As always with the pico scales, compromises must be made. A sharp observer can tell that I have experimented with two different basing styles here. I think the one in the middle front is the best and I will probably be going with that in the future. The other isn’t so igly as to demand rebasing, however.

Also, all French line infantry have blue pompoms in my army, and all light infantry have yellow. Elite line has red pompoms and elite light green. It ties the army together visually and makes identification easy at arm’s length,

Note that the terrain tile this division is on measures 15 x 15 centimeters. When I am finished, I will be able to play a huge game on a coffee table. A typical four by six foot wargames layout will allow for much pre-battle semi-operational movement or a battle like Wagram.

I have based the units on blank argame counters as a nod to all of those who have told me, over the years, that I might as well be using counters rather than gaming in pico scale. I think not.

Everything is based seperately, with magnetic paper glued to the bottom. This way, I can rearrange the bases on sabots for any number of wargame rules, such as Blucher, Black Powder, or La Salle. I plan to do more French flag command bases for brigade-level games like Blucher.

My terrain tiles have an iron paint undercoat, giving these very light playing pieces some “sticking power” — certainly more than an average map and counter game.

Finally, this whole division cost me something on the order of 16 USD. As I’ve said before: pico scale is a “freebie” for miniatures gamers. You can buy an entire army for the cost of one 28mm regiment and you can either play big, impressive, panoramic battles or, like me, easily carried “travel battles” that can fit in a briefcase and be played on a coffee table.

Easy to buy, paint, set up, store, and play, 3mm is a bonus scale, no matter what scale you normally play in. I highly recommend it for simple, fast, big and “one-off” projects!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

And here’s a French light cavalry division, with three regiments of chasseurs and one of hussars, backed up by a Polish lancer regiment.

McKinstry
    Participant

Sweat and very very tempting but I have a shed load of 6mm Napoleonics for Blucher and probably can’t handle the self-loathing if I violate my no new scales rule (again).

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thaddeus B:

Outstanding  work and that’s coming from someone who is not a fan of either Napoleonics or 3mm figures. Nonetheless your paint jobs bring these tiny figures to life. Both your Sci Fi and these very impressive French have lowered my intolerance to 3mm and figures like these painted so well as you have and rebated for good old Systems Seven rules would be lovely. Bravo sir!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Too tiny for me Hey Rod!!! How have you been?

Krieghund
    Krieghund
    Participant

Splendid.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Turns out I saved my old Systems Seven counters fom the Basement of Doom in January, Rod. 😉

JozisTinMan
    JozisTinMan
    Participant

These look great!!! Thank you for sharing, I am very tempted to sell off my 6mm napoleonics and start over again in pick scale for big battles…

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

vtsaogames
    vtsaogames
    Participant

Figures mounted on System 7 bases! That’s fabulous!

https://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Mr. Average
    Participant

One can only approve! I have very often considered an Enlightenment-age army, although I’m certain I would end up doing some wacky alternate universe with fictional empires and magical powers – the War of the Second Silurian League comes to mind, with the forces of the Ordovician Empire marching to war, resplendent in their Purple and Gold.

It would scratch my intellectual itch but no historical gamer at the club would dare to touch it! Still, for the cost of a pizza one wonders, “Why not?” As you say, the benefit of 3mm scale is the freedom to work out these kinds of wacky things for low cost.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Why the hell not, Mat? Hell, most Age of Enlightenment gamers do imaginations, anyhow. My 3mm SYW armies are imaginations.

If you want some fictional inspiration for your magical enlightenment, might I suggest the works of Paula Volsky? Especially her book Illusion, which is a lightly fantastical take on the French Revolution…

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/467457.Illusion

Mr. Average
    Participant

To be honest, I actually have in mind to do an American force in the European style, such as is described in The King In Yellow, and send them to war against General von Gartenlaube for control of New Jersey.

(Reminds me of that joke about how New Jersey won the war, so now Staten Island is part of New York.)

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Niel Hancock’s “Circle of Light” series — especially the first book — gives a great example of a black powder fantasy battle, complete with cannibal orc-like creatures.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77146.Greyfax_Grimwald

Mr. Average
    Participant

I actually went ahead and got a smattering of forces, just to try it out. No idea how to “properly” organize or paint them, just playing around a little, really. We’ll see!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

They are fun! A tip for the tricorners: paint them your lace color first, THEN fill in the top of the hat with medium grey or whatever.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I’m curious about how you organize your 3mm force for Black Powder. Does each base replace what would be  a block of larger figures, say four to a base at 15mm scale? The organization is the one part of Black Powder I have trouble with, for some reason – it’s just a little too loose, with “everything is anything and unit size doesn’t matter except that it does.”

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

A normally sized unit for Black Powder, in this set up, can be made up of four stands (for larger battles) or six stands (for smaller battles). Six stands looks better but four stands gets you more units on the table.

By keeping the color guards seperate, I can mix and match as needed.

Black Powder 2 cleared up some of those sizing problems, by the way.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah I’ll probably opt for 6 based on visuals, but 4 seems to match up to the Von Reisswitz formations for the Prussian army, at one base = one company.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I have 3mm troops with yellow shako plumes and red shako plumes to fill in as voltigeurs and grenadiers in smaller battles.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah my infantry is going to be helmeted, so they can have a nice bronze touch to denote them as Ordovician Regulars. The rest are Goingg to have shakos, likely with purple plumes. I’m thinking up base labels (as I do). I prefer rectangular bases, and have a ton of them on hand, and I can’t predict that will cause a huge problem for playing the game, but still, we’ll just see.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Rectangular bases measuring 20mm by 15mm are DEFINITELY the way to go. I am clipping mine here to fit wargame counters as sort of a “fuck you” to the people who say “you might as well be playing with wargame counters”. But it is an extra step and a bit of a hassle.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I also want to make an ultra-portable game.my goal is to get the whole thing into a detergent-sized wargame box. So I want the units to be as small as practicable.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Note that U.S. Civil War Zouaves work well for Balkans-Oriental style light troops. I use them as my not-Croats.

Mr. Average
    Participant

With magnetic bases, a flat steel work box is a great transport option.  Or better yet, a stainless steel lunchbox, for a “classier” alternative.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Love that idea! I think, however, I am going to buy a detergent box-sized MDF box, paint it black, put the Black Powder 2 book cover on it, and either use steel plates for geomorphic terrain modules or MDF board covered in steel foil.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I think Command and Colors Ancients will be my model box size.

Mr. Average
    Participant

The First Brigade of the Ordovician Imperial Fusiliers arrived – it’s surprising how well cast the O8 Napoleonics are! And the useful little ten-man strips fit comfortably on my standard 5/8”x1” bases three or even four ranks deep. At one stand equals one company, with a more generous set of three ranks per stand, my helmeted Imperial Fusiliers form a satisfying three battalions of four companies each.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Are you using the helmeted Austrians for this?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah, they’re going to be a Guards Brigade – the average Imperial troops get the shako. I think my opposing force, the Silurian League, will get the Bicorne.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Make sure you paint those shakos purple! I am really looking forward to this!

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Not sure how I missed this, but they look amazing!

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.