Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Another War Artisan Card Ship

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Volunteer
    Participant

Here is another excellent card ship from War Artisan Jeff Knudsen. This time a 1/300 scale 10 gun sloop schooner of the Revolutionary War. This build went easier than the last one, being a larger scale than the 1/1200 scale I built the 64 gun to. Everything went as the instructions directed, except for the channels. I couldn’t figure them out so I made two out of bits from an old credit card. I also did not wrap the main sail around the mast like the instructions suggest as I think it looks more accurate unattached. I really think this little schooner looks good. Kudos to Jeff for another great design.
    null

More photos at https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2017/12/another-war-artisan-card-ship.html?m=1

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks really good.  And at that scale you can even man it with crew figures!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Volunteer
    Participant

Crew figures???? Who? Where?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Volunteer.

Wernher von Braun

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

Darn Vol, that really looks nice!  As for crew figures, surely someone, somewhere makes 6mm sailors.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Very nice! The stepped mast, rigging and free mainsail makes it look even better than the original. Though at 1/300th scale weren’t you tempted to cut the voids from the aft rail? I’d be tempted but it would make it so fragile back there.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Volunteer
    Participant

Yes I was tempted and thought about it a lot before I did it on the first print out. But as you said, when I started handling it to finish the build, it was too flimsy, so I started over. Perhaps if I reinforced the rails with another layer it might work.

Wernher von Braun

Don Glewwe
    Participant

Oh, c’mon – slivver some oak and do it right!  

https://brawlfactory.net/

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Guy’s!

Stop doing this to Vol. You will give him ideas that cannot be done! But! Vol would try. This is like using a light-pen on a cat. Fun to see, but not fair on the cat.

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Volunteer
    Participant

I resemble that remark! No, really, I do!😕😭

Wernher von Braun

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Sorry Vol, You know I love your work and you mean a lot to me. I love cats too. If anyone can do that bit more to a model, you can

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

Volunteer
    Participant

👍
    Actually I more resemble a starving wolf after some tosses out a piece of raw meat!

Wernher von Braun

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Vol, What if I put the meat on a bit on of long string!!!!!!!!!

Be safe

Rory

Volunteer
    Participant

That would do it!

Wernher von Braun

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Volunteer
    Participant

OK, you guys put the raw meat out and fired up the laser pointer. But I decided to do crew for my Pyro 1/250 scale Brig of War first, to see how it went. Rather than go the expensive way and buy figures from Langton, I decided to try something different. A long while back I saw that Julian at Model J Ship was using Eduard laser printed Naval figures for his 1/1200 ships and dioramas. He makes them look really good. I ordered some. Unfortunately my results were not so good. They looked too flat, two dimensional, for my tastes. But they gave me an idea. What about card figures? If the card stock was doubled, at that scale they could have depth. So I searched Pinterest for crew figures and found what I wanted. I pasted them into a Word doc and sized each figure to 1/4″, then copied and pasted it again right next to the original. Then I flipped the 2nd image horizontal. I folded the images together to make a double thick, double sided figure. Then just touched up the sides with colored pens, added shirt stripes, hair color, etc. to those that needed it. More results can be seen on my blog at http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/

Wernher von Braun

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.