Home Forums WWI Any artillerymen uniform advice please?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Rolph
    Participant

About to start on what is likely to be my last big project. My eyes are shot and, over the past four months, arthritis in my thumbs has gone from an initial diagnosis and minor niggle to constant pain exacerbated by any fine manipulation with my hands…such as painting/modelling.

Somewhere along the way I became inspired to do the Great War in 6mm at one base = one company and have now ordered three Infantry Corps and three Cavalry Divisions – something like 700+ bases. I suspect completing it will demonstrate that this sort of thing will be beyond my abilities henceforward.

Anyway onto the advice part of this post. Bearing in mind that it’s 6mm we’re talking about and that I am a less than skilled painter anyway, does anyone know the uniform colours used by the artillerymen of the French, German and British in 1914. I suspect that it is basically their respective infantry uniforms, although frequently they might be in shirtsleeves or shirtless, but I can’t seem to find any images to confirm or contradict that. So British – khaki, German –  grey green and French – blue tunic and red trousers? Any help appreciated, but please don’t expend any energy on researching the official regimental eye colour or similar – such detail will rapidly be lost in my work.

Secondly, I will be labelling the bases once complete with their battalion and regiment name and/or number. Does anyone know of any convention in this regard for

1) the precedence of numbers/type over names or vice versa and

2) any standard abbreviations for the various mounted types – chasseur a cheval, dragoons, Dragonen, hussars, hussards, Husaren, lancers, lanciers, Uhlans (in the three languages)

So, bearing in mind I will be working with 12-14 characters, how might the following examples be best abbreviated?

2nd Dragoon Guards (Queens Bays) – number and type or number and name?

Infanterie-Regiment Herzog Friedrich Wilhelm von Braunschweig (Ostfriesisches) Nr. 78. 1/78, 2/78 etc is straightforward but would the name or region be a more familiar German abbreviation? Surely there must be a short version – they can’t have written that out in full in every order?!

2. Hannoversches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 26 (what’s the ‘2’ here – the zweite Abteilung?)

Feldartillerie-Regiment von Scharnhorst (1. Hannoversches) Nr. 10 – so is this the first regiment or the tenth?

16th (Schleswig-Holstein) Hussars “Emperor Francis Joseph of Austria, King of Hungary” – 16. KuK Husaren? 16. Schleswig Holstein Husaren? Is Schleswig Holstein shortened routinely?

2nd (Pomeranian) Cuirassiers “Queen” – 2. Kuerassiere, 2. Koenigin, 2. Pommeranian Kuerassiere?

Obviously none of this really matters but I can get a bit obsessive about this sort of thing, so if anyone, particularly native speakers of the relevant foreign languages, has a view then I’d like to hear it. I’ll extrapolate the others from any views I get here.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Andrew

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I’m sorry to hear about your eyesight and arthritis.

British and German gunners wore the same khaki and field grey uniforms as the infantry, French gunners were dark blue all over (blue tunics and trousers). There were probably some weird regimental variations too.

German jaegers had greenish jackets, French chasseurs a pied also wore dark blue all over (being deeply lazy, I also use them as Belgians) and I have a few more colourful Zoauves in big baggy red trousers.

Can’t help with the labels I’m afraid, I use an eccentric system of dots.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Andrew Rolph
    Participant

Martin

Thanks for the kind remarks and information. I’ve been remarkably short sighted since I was 10 but I now believe I am developing (fairly) early onset macular degeneration, which is distinctly unhelpful. As for the arthritis, well that just confirms my aversion to doctors – as soon as I see one (about every fifteen years or so) to ask about a problem it immediately becomes dramatically worse. If I don’t acknowledge them the problems stay peripheral. Obviously this isn’t a remotely logical proposition but, for me, (basically) doctors create health issues!

I suppose I’ll have to invent my own idiosyncratic abbreviation system to account for “Infanterie-Regiment Herzog Friedrich Wilhelm von Braunschweig (Ostfriesisches) Nr. 78” in 12 characters!

Cheers

Andrew

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

How about IR 78 HFWvBO  Exactly 12 characters!

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Andrew Rolph
    Participant

You like a challenge! And actually it’s not bad. I’ll list the other 21 regiments/brigades for you!

Thanks

Andrew

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.