Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Any news on the old SDD 1:600 range?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

Just doing a quick inventory of what is available for 1:600 coastal warfare – I’m aware of H&R (ex-Skytrex) in the UK, and PT Dockyard in the US, but what else is there?  I’m not interested in 1:600 plastic kits, as the ships are generally too large for the genre, and too detailed for my modelling skills (and, often, too expensive for my wallet).  I do recall a company called SDD (bought by Stronghold – remember them? – up in Scotland) was a thing once upon a time, and had some vessels that the other two don’t make (yet!), but what has happened to them?  I believe that David Manley, of this parish, made some of the masters.  Does anyone have photos of their range?

Many thanks.

Brendan

Participant

Oh c’mon Baron, you would want to attack Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Prinz Eugen eventually!

Participant

I’ll see if I can do some photos when I’m back from my holibobs

Participant

That’s very kind of you, David – that would be much appreciated.  I did have a feeling that I’d seen a set of photos of them that you’d posted already on another website, but the name/address has completely abandoned my feeble mind and I can’t recall if it was yours or someone else’s.

BTW, do you have a date and venue for the 2019 Naval Wargames Day yet?

Participant

Recently spoke to a chap at H&R (who now own the old Skytrex 1:600 range) and he has been trying to contact the former owner of Stronghold to see if he is willing to sell the SDD range, but thus far with no success.  Anyone have any contact details for “Mike”?

Also, did you have a good holiday, Mr Manley?

Participant

Last I heard of mike, which was a “few” years ago now, he was in Cheshire. Somewhere near Runcorn/Warrington, I think. He had moved a few times and was sick but no idea if this was long term or what? I think his family circumstances were on the point of change too.

I’d love to see the SDD 20mm Spanish Civil War trucks and the British Homeguard stuff on sale again. Not to mention all that Village Green loveliness…….

Participant

“Also, did you have a good holiday, Mr Manley?”

I did thanks, we were actually at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa, my belated 50th birthday present from my daughter.

Of course i have completely forgotten about the photos! I shall seek to attend to that shortly

Participant

No worries, thank you for indulging me.  It did strike me that if you designed some of the ships, you could legally market them yourself – unless you signed over all copyright, of course.

Whilst you’re here, David, what are your thoughts (and anyone else’s) on the “Cruel Sea” game from Warlord?  Having suffered the frustration of recovering small parts that had “pinged” around the room when I recently tried to put together 1:700 plastic ship kits (sorry for the swearing, all those of you who had to close your windows and turn the TV up), I suspect 1:300 kits might be more my thing.  However, early photos of test games (see below) suggest this is going to be a “wall of Panzers” approach if you’re using anything the size of merchant vessels or destroyers/frigates, whereas in 1:300, I would have thought a few MTBs/MGBs against slightly fewer S-Boats would be the ideal.

http://www.warlordgames.com/annoucement-cruel-seas-ahead/?utm_source=Warlord+Games+Newsletter&utm_campaign=00065cc174-Wednesday_Hobby_%26_News_24th_October_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b7e928b4ed-00065cc174-133102573&mc_cid=00065cc174&mc_eid=ac86a0894a

Cruel Seas – New WWII Small Ship Naval Combat Game

Participant

Brendan, they’ll need a few targets though, coasters and the like, which will be relatively small. If they make some MLs then the St Nazaire raid in 1/300 would be perfectly feasible, on a decent sized table. Pre-order starts in 3 hours!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.